We are dogs to TCU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TCU -3 is the opening line I've seen (another has it at -2.5)

“THAT situation is kind of like the cockroach, it’s not so much what he gets into and carries away but what he falls into and messes up.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

So only 6 points? minus 3 points for homefield? I assumed we'd be bigger dogs.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree. I wonder what Vegas is thinking? Was USC a fluke; or is TCU not as good as people thought based on their play against tOSU?

4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

maybe they're scared because they don't know for either of us?

• Like Like x 1
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'm sure they are looking at our "D". Every game should be close... except the ones that aren't...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

If I was a gambling man, would take TCU -2.5.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

My opinion, 99% of our issues are Sam and athletic QBs
    Sam had a great game last week, no turnovers and he made some good decisions with regard to running the ball and doing the zone read. He is still a pretty terrible passer, but he is getting better. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, our offense should be able to put up some points. I'm thinking Texas can score about 30 pts in this game on offense.

The bigger issue is defending an athletic QB. This is where we really need to judge Todd Orlando because so far we haven't stopped a single one. You know they are going to Jet sweep the hell out of Texas. So these guys need to be ready.
    IMO this game will be won or lost on how we handle their QB and the Jet sweep. if we fall behind, I am then worried about Sam and how he will react, frankly he tends to press when Texas is behind and will make some bad decisions.
    They lost last week and they are probably pissed, I'm also worried that Texas might think they are somehow good, they aren't.
    If Texas is going to win, it has to be ready to play above their current level and that requires understanding that they can't just show up and think the other team is going to lay down for them. I think that is what they thought going into Maryland. TCU will drop a hammer on them if they aren't ready.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

They ran out of points after posting 26 of them for aggy-Tide.

• Like Like x 3
  9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Lets see if we can finally contain a running QB.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

The TCU QB is bad. His 3 turnovers led to 21 tOSU points and TCU lost by 12.

That said, TCU has a better defense than us and Ehlinger is worse than their QB. Whatever mistakes the TCU QB makes, the TCU defense will capitalize on twice as many by Ehlinger. Ehlinger up for grabs passes will not go as well against TCU as Tulsa or USC. The silver lining is these should be the best DBs we face in the regular season and we are getting them out of the way in September.

Texas did pleasantly suprise us all against USC, so maybe we can do it again and pull off the upset?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Defending the mobile QB is definitely the area this defense has struggled with most. I don't think Alexander is ready for world beater status yet, but he can definitely cause a lot of issues. The good news is that at least we'll know what we're getting with him. In the past, some of our issues have been caused by guys who were running QBs that we didn't necessarily prep for (i.e. K State, Maryland.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Coming on the heels of last week's prediction, pardon me if I do not subscribe to your service.

• Like Like x 3
  13. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Our defense might not be as good as TCU's (considering their coach is defensive minded and pretty good at it), so I'll wager that the proof will be in the pudding after Saturday. We win and Sam puts up numbers similar to the USC game, I'll say we have the better qb because he beat a better defense. At least in recent history, we seem to not have a lot of 3 and outs, don't know exact stats on Frogs but I'll be they wreak havoc more often than not....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

LOL. Good point. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I happen to agree with your assessment this week. Just fyi.

16. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I’m seeing an O/U of 51.5 ... whatcha think?
    I’m thinking the over is the play here.

17. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

We cannot score against these guys. Our point totals against TCU since they joined the Big 12:
    2017 7
    2016 9
    2015 7
    2014 10
    2013 7
    2012 13
    This is usually the most boring game of the year for us. History has not been kind. :whiteflag:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We are:

1) home dog

2) West of the Mississippi

BUT

3) the field is turf

4) game in not at night

I was really surprised by Saturday night and so much improvement, but I saw a different game than many posters. There are many things that you can't see on TV, starting with at least 7-8 open deep routes, particularly on the left side with man coverage and no safety help. If I saw it, my 10 yr old grandson saw it, you know Patterson saw it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

maybe we're baiting Patterson into THINKING we don't know what we're doing on defense sometimes.....besides, he's a defensive guy...it just bothers him as much as it bothers you that we had non-coverage on a play....he offensively doesn't really know what to do about it....bwaha, jk, but sort of not....

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Based on what about that game? Does anybody think we'd have a lead on Ohio State in the middle of the 3rd quarter?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

We actually scored 30 points against TCU in 2013 in a 30-7 win, the only win Texas has against TCU since they joined the Big XII, but I get your point.

• Like Like x 3
  23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Then tOSU woke up and TCU folded like a cheap suit in less than 5 minutes.

24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Thanks Major Applewhite! He even did it with Case McCoy!

Mack Brown was 2-1 against TCU & Gary Patterson, was never blown out, and beat TCU by 20+ both times. If he had played Case instead of an injured Ash in 2012, I think he goes 3-0. Since Brown, our coaches have not been competitive.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Granted only 4 times from 2005 to 2017 did TCU fail to win 11 games. Included in those 4 were all 3 years we played them under Mack Brown.

26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I'm not so disappointed that we're a dog in this game as much as I'm disappointed that I expect Texas to be a dog in this game

• Like Like x 5
  27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I dunno, maybe it is a bit more of a motivator for the team?

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So OL Patrick Hudson is out and cleared to return to class but they are still running tests. They are unclear on what caused his severe reaction heat stroke. And so everyone at this point is more concerned with what this means to his long-term health. Unknown when he might return to football.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1