We are doing great aren't we?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bill in Sinton, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Our offense is playing great and we are 2-0. We need to eliminate the mistakes. And when our defense gets its' act together we will be one of the best teams in the country. Remember the y shut out Tech in OT.

• Like Like x 5
  2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Bill always love the positivity!!!!!!!:hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

This is an under-appreciated point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Basically Herman’s teams are lazy. They all play hard when they need to. If they can play 60 minutes hard, there won’t be Dicker the Kicker bailouts or miracle finishes.
    Look for a couple of upsets from crappy teams over the Horns.

• poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Bill = Will Rogers?

What I saw was a clinic on how not to play defense, including how not to wrap up, how not to take the correct angles, and how not to cover in space.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Well,we have seen two games. There was nothing to learn from the first game because of the competition. We started out strong against Tech but went downhill in the second half. I saw lousy tackling,coaching,consentration in the second half. Maybe it was overconfidence, They seemed to be lazy and lacked desire. That is coaching. I give them credit,they came back to life in the last few minutes. However without all of the Tech turnovers in the game we would be looking at a loss. Isnt Texas suppose to have all of this 4 and 5 star talent? I am not sure. They looked more like 2 and 3 star. We shall see when they play someone with the same talent level. I Have no confidence in this team,because you never know who is going to show up. This has been the problem with Texas for the last 10 years. Reminds me of the Mcwilliams,Mackovic era. The difference is we are suppose to have better players now than they did then. I am not so sure.

7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Don't like it but there is some truth to this^^^^^ I fear.
    UT is capable of running the Big12 table this year. If they don't, it wont be because of lack of talent or ability, so....

• Like Like x 1
  8. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

The Texas D certainly denied Tech's existence in OT. Just flat told them it did not matter what they tried, they were dead.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. BurntOrangeLH

Oh yeah, that Ricky Williams guy was a real slacker. Hope you resolve the correct history if not your self doubts.

10. BurntOrangeLH

GBH called wondering where you were.

11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

12. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

He wasn't, but the other 21 players often were. Makovitch's last team went 4-7, including a 3-66 humiliation by UCLA, and losses to Baylor and ATM.

I too see a lot of similarities to the Makovtich era. Abrasive coach who acts like he's the best coach ever, alienating local HS coaches, and more importantly, the fans.

Non-existent impact on the national championship race.

A few nice wins here and there (ATM in 95, Nebraska in 96 / Ga in 2018, Utah in 19), combined with lots of stinkers (Va Tech, VA on the road, Penn State, / both games against Maryland, 3-7 against OSU/TCU/OU, the humiliation at Baylor last year when the team had to score with 1 second left to only get beat by 2 instead of 3 touchdowns.

Good offensive play by and large, with long periods where the teams seems to fall asleep, combined with bad defensive play.

Now Makovitch did have a few conference championships, while Herman so far has a trophy case exactly as full as the Aggs do from their 10 year challenge.

Most important stretch of the season is the next two weeks. Herman is 2-5 against TCU/OU. Win those two games and Texas is very well positioned for the B12 game, and the playoffs. Split them and things are OK - can still make the B12 game if no other losses, but may be out of any national race.

Lose both and it's curtains for the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

So I know that few of us are expecting this- but if the team runs the table in the B12 and somehow wins 2 games in the playoff and becomes NC does that mean that TH is suddenly a great coach and the naysayers were all wrong? Were Mack Brown and Greg Davis different coaches in 2005 that we all thought they were in 2003? For that matter was Coach O all of the sudden a genius last year when he failed at Ole Miss? I think coaches get too much credit and too much blame. (With the notable exception of Charlie- I drank the kool-aid and I was wrong, that damn guy deserves all the blame coming his way).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It's obvious you have the "we're Texas" mentality. Nobody is as good as us and no one else can coach or scheme as well as us. The fact is their quick pace and quick throws was a good scheme to offset our advantages. Give them some credit besides Knocking our kids. Ash gotta taste of the Big 12. Hope he's looked at the film and has learned a few things. Thank goodness for Sam and Yurcich.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It's sort of odd he hadn't apparently studied Big 12 film prior to last Saturday. What makes you think he will this week? Sort of joking here...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Yes I have the Were Texas Mentality. Every Longhorn fan should have that. I have bleed orange for 70 years and am not happy when I see players and coaches dis Texas. I have seen good coaches at Texas and great ones. I have also seen coaches such as Herman and Mackovic who cared more about themselves than the school. So if it upsets you I have that mentality:So be it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Also, Tech's D was worn out by OT. Our D was rested, well enough conditioned, and our real biggies (the 2 interior DTs) rotate in and out every other possession due to the depth we've built up at that position. The conditioning factor was in play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Mackovic.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  19. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Just sayin'

20. Giovanni Jones

"I too see a lot of similarities to the Makovtich era."

Granted, Mackovic will never be mentioned in the same breath as, say, Daryl Roil, Dannie Bibel, or even Phred Acres. But he had his moments.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  21. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

I simply want to know how the defense can basically look national championship caliber in their bowl game and then come back the next year and play so badly. Last year it went on for the entire year. Injuries was a common excuse for last year. This year, something called rugby tackling, so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

OK, I'll bite.
    When I think of the great coaches I usually think of the great players around them that these coaches identified players that put the team on their shoulders to win the game at all costs. Nobis, Street, Speyer, Lam and Jam Jones, Ricky, Vince, Leaks and Campbell, Colt and Sims, Applewhite, Layne, Benson, Worster, Johnson, Sims, Thomas, Foreman, Grey, Huff, Shipley, Sizemore, Vasher, Shearer, Sterns, Redding,Jammer, Saxton, Black, Hampton, Charles, Tucker, DeAyala, Jefferson, Limas Sweed, Duvarnay, Scaife, Steinmark to name a few. As a Longhorn with Orange blood I apologize that I have failed to name all the greats and contributors to greatness that have worn Burnt Orange.

I saw great players in Burnt Orange on Saturday. Once we went into overtime did anyone, anywhere, think Texas would lose? Sam, Joshua Moore, Eagles, Ingram, Dicker, heck, the defensive and offensive side of the ball knew Texas would win. So did Tech. That's what I want to see. They did not play mistake free football. Frankly Texas doesn't need a coach to tell them to wrap up a tackle, some were reminded brutally that put a shoulder into a ball carrier is a recipe for disaster. A coach needs to make sure players that want to play and play correctly are in a position to win.
    I don't get the hate for Tom Herman but to each his own. I remind myself there was wide spread hate and doubt for Mack Brown until Vince Young. The reasons were varied but involved soft, not a coach, "Mr. Football" (teehee) etc. The hatred for his offensive coordinator was rampant even after a National Championship despite the fact our Longhorns have never been as consistent on offense as they were prior to Greg Davis' dismissal, which was wildly praised.

Hope that Herman gets it together if that is what we need, but I saw some greatness on Saturday from Sam and others. And frankly I believe you cannot teach give a sh#t, you have it or you don't. A coaches job is to get rid of those that don't give a sh#t and to put his players that care in a position to win. (That is what KSU did on Saturday w Freshman everything vs. OU.)

I hope this week will be a win, but it probably won't be better than last week, because last week was a barn burner and many current players showed they will not give up and definitely give a sh#t. Whether to blame or credit Herman or not, I don't know. Probably a little of both.

Longhorn Dave

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Truer words were never spoken. This is precisely what I believe.

24. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Been a lazy, entitled, and inconsistent team for years and across several coaches.
    Sorry to say it but that's what I think about this program.
    Something about once you made it to Texas that's it, rather than, this is where the work actually starts. Don't get me wrong, I think this starts with the coaches. I believe a team inherits the personality, drive, and vision of the head coach.

Mack Brown was scared to death half the time, expectation managing about a quarter of it, and then fighting his guts out recruiting or glad handing fat cat boosters with the remainder. Country club. Lazy. Entitled. He won a lot on superior talent but far too often his teams displayed his measure and lost games they shouldn't. This was especially true against teams with near or equal talent but far more drive, like Oklahoma.

Charlie Strong was in over his head and never should have had the job. Moving on...

Tom Herman studied under the feet of Mack and to me it shows. I'll be honest he's inconsistent, arrogant, and I'm starting to really not like or believe in him. I've never heard Nick Saban talk about how hard winning is. I've never heard Dabo Swinney talk about how half the teams in the country lost yesterday. That's the difference between coaches like them and Mack or Tom. It's a culture. It's a mindset and ours is soft. We're soft and lazy until we realize hey.... we might actually lose this game. Being Texas hasn't been enough to win games any more than people being afraid of us has. They aren't. We don't have a killer instinct or a winning culture. That's my take.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I won't entirely disagree but I see nothing "soft" about Sam, Ingram, Foster, Eagles and several others on Saturday. Sam has never been soft. Foster, geez, can't believe he is alive. Moore, what a baller. Again I suspect some of that is not coaching but some may be. Did Herman put them in a position to win? (even finally). That to me is Herman's job. Frankly the primary entitlement I have seen was from BOOING FANS at DKR when the Horns were losing one or two games (or none) a year and Greg Davis created 3 different, successful offenses with different but successful qbs because their success and play calling was "predictable".
    FWIW I appreciate the different views expressed on this forum and really appreciate the folks that run it. Here is to you all! Cheers.

Longhorn Dave

26. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

We've had some ballers, we've had some loafers, we've had it all over the years. I'm hard on the coaches because they're professionals earning large salaries to deliver a competitive product at a school with every resource at their disposal. They deserve both praise and frank criticism equally where they're warranted. Regarding players, yes I do think we've had some softies but I would never name names ; these are student athletes who play voluntarily for our school.

Greg Davis was too predictable and conservative in a lot of ways ( I've always suspected Mack was a big part of that) but he also had his moments. 2008 Texas / OU, iirc, was one of the best game plans I saw GDGD put together. He also had one hell of a game plan for Bama in 09' NCG and had Colt not gone down, we'd have won that game. At the end of the day though, we delivered a lot of subpar performances under his direction. Everyone saw it and it ultimately led to his firing. Inconsistent / inferior player development is another rightful knock on the program over the years.

I've never booed the team but I continue to have high expectations for the program. Rockstars, balls and strikes, I call them as I see them :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Giovanni Jones

This is what sticks in my craw. Too many seasons with mediocre results. No Big XII Championship since 2009 (and only 3 championships since the conference began). It's not like we aren't throwing $$$ at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Pardon me elSapo I am looking for those voluntary athletics. Are they the same ones that get all the pekrs and so forth. Maybe thats like I hear politicians called public servants that get a hugh salary. (Dion i am not trying to insert politics in this,just making a point)

29. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

There are perks to being a student athlete no doubt, but on an annual basis they simply pale in comparison to what the employed coaching professionals at Texas earn: Texas Coaching Staff Salaries 2020

Another reason I don't criticize players (publicly) is due to a long-running protocol on this board, dating back to the previous ownership, that discourages the behavior. Players, their friends, and families read this board. I'm sure the coaches and staff do too, but again, they're professional adults on salary in performance based jobs directly under the gaze of the public eye. Get me aside in person however and I'll tell you exactly what I think about this player or that player.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

The great and wise Bill in Sinton has spoken. :bow: