We are No 1 in College football!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Oct 12, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

in Missed tackles. We had 47 going into OU and I am sure we padded our lead. On one of Lambs TD catches, there were 5 'Horns around him, only 1 touched him.

Our DB coach needs to teach how to tackle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Tackling is such a fundamental thing it should be embarrassing for a defensive staff that their team can't do it, much less to be the very worst at it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Greg Robinson turned our D around in one week when Diaz laid an egg. Coaching matters.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

We have a bunch of young players who would rather make a highlight reel hit than wrap up and make tackles. This is all about coaching. I’m also very surprised that our DBs don’t know how to “come under control” when attempting to corral a player in the open field. Very disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Often it seems when our guys make a "physical" hit, they end up hurt, not the guy they hit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. The old open field “break down” is usually taught at the Jr High level. It doesn’t result in highlight-making hits (which are already rare in this era of the targeting rule), but it usually results in stopping the runner.

I thought with the departure of Kris Boyd that we had turned the page on that problem. I guess not.

7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Did anyone else notice that even if we squared up on a receiver the receiver would simply go around our defender like he was wearing concrete shoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yes.

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I guess it's time again to post this old classic:

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  10. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

In the name of all that is holy, somebody please show this to To Orlano.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

FWIW, I believe that Brandon Jones is the best tackler on the team, and usually very reliable...a stopper. He did miss one yesterday, on Lamb, that was pretty obvious.

If somehow we can make it to the CCG, it will be very interesting to see how the players and coaches respond after having been justifiably second guessed and criticized for roughy (by that time) 60 days. I suspect that they will be out to prove something.

• Agree Agree x 1