We cannot lose this weeked

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So, there's that

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

from Inside Texas...

"My biggest frustration is hearing things straight from 2017. These issues should have been fixed. The people who say Herman isn't negatively affected by arrogance, you're as off as saying Charlie Strong wasn't disorganized."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is a poster on another forum -- take it for what its worth

I'll say this: Mehringer is predictably handling the meltdown after OU worse than anyone else on the staff. He puts that on display by berating and shaming his players, and Meekins' guys, during both practice and film study. He's completely despised by those the coaches and he's running around whining about deserving to keep his job. He's got every player in his purview actively telling people that they hate it at Texas playing for him, and then they're getting in front of recruits in the same vein.

This stumbling f***-up hipster dufus is going to actively yet accidentally burn his part of the program down to the slab before the season ends. I have no idea whether Herman has the capacity or awareness to do anything about it, and no one else is sure either. Our best hope is that he gets hit by a bus walking across campus, or that Casey Horny organizes a team rape train on him for grins during the off-weekend.

• WTF? WTF? x 5
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Good stuff, Joe.
    The insight on Mehringer, if true, is beyond disturbing.
    If true...TH better have the balls to show him the door ASAP.
    Helps support my feelings of late that the offense is as great or greater concern than the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

If true, this might help explain some of the recent attrition and 2020 DB de-commits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Texas 247 on Whittington

Talked to a few team sources about the progress of five-star freshman running back Jordan Whittington, and there is a lot of optimism about Whittington’s ability to help the offense.

“He looks great. I think he can make an immediate impact, even coming off the injury.”

“The biggest thing I think he brings to the offense is his toughness and his fiercely determined attitude. And that kind of attitude is contagious.”

• Like Like x 2
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There is alot of stuff flying around out there. To be honest, with the reality of our football team compounded by Game 7 of the WS, I turned it all off for several days. But that one quote above is the one that stuck with me, as I thought it sort of pierced through all the other commentary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Also, the dad's of Washington and Watson were complaining on Twitter about a lack of PT for their sons after the TCU game. And I have to admit, if it were me, I would probably be giving them a chance (although Watson did get beat vs. WVU)

Rumors about Jamison too maybe looking at the portal

13. RainH2burntO

This^^^^^

14. RainH2burntO

It would explain ALOT

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Now that it appears Game makers will have to pay players, what happens if Jamison is in the Longhorn version of NCAA Football 2022 but in reality, is playing at Sam Houston St? What then? Maybe the payment should just go to Hornfans?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You mean you would rather see 'toughness' and 'a fiercely determined attitude' over all the whining and bitching of the last couple weeks?
    Go figure

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One thing that is now clear -- this transfer portal has changed CFB in a big way. Too much? We will see if they tweak the rules.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We're certainly seeing how the transfer portal can hurt us. But, I think we're also positioned to reap the benefits of the transfer portal for the following types of players:

1. The late bloomer or overlooked Texas HS star who signed with a SFA, Sam Houston St., Lamar, Tulsa, UTSA, La Tech, etc. The sort of guy who really burst onto the scene in college and is a big time star at a low caliber program. Now he's ready to make the jump up to the big leagues and play for UT or some other big program.

2. The home sick Texas kid who signed with aOSU, USC, Florida, etc.

3. The pissed off, disillusioned player who feels he was lied to by his current program. This sort of kid can be dangerous if things don't go well here though...

We're in the transfer portal era. Might as well play the new game and use it to our advantage the best we can.

I'd be careful about taking guys from the transfer portal who are transferring because they couldn't earn playing time at their current school. If a player isn't good enough to start for Purdue, NC State, Cal, or Nebraska, what makes one think he would be good enough to start here? The exception-- a QB or RB who is behind one of the best QBs or RBs in the game.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'd like to see if this turns out to be true. If it's true (a big "if"...), then Mehringer's a bigger cancer than Sheppard could ever be. Even if it's not true, I'd like to see him coach the WRs to come back to the QB or run to an open spot when the QB is scrambling or in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You make some good points, but it feels like the coaching staff would need another entire wing of assistants to handle it all, plus regular recruiting

21. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Without attribution, this is only vile gossip not worth publication.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Somehow the opposition teams seem to handle it.

23. BurntOrangeLH

Actually, I think the Portal has benefited Texas more than hurt it.

I think Herman has been pretty selective about who the staff pursues through the Portal and continues his good evaluation practices.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I imagine they are having issues too -- although some teams, like Alabama for example, already have a large team of consultants and interns

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Too late for that

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Game makers need to have a portal built into the system where players can transfer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. BurntOrangeLH

Well, if no one will stand up and say I was there and I heard this, it just so much puppy poop, but with less merit and benefit.

28. BurntOrangeLH

This makes no sense. Watson and Washington are both freshmen and they have already had playing time and have both shown good and not so good things. Helicopter dads do not benefit any program.

Jamison is interested in leaving? Why? He has had multiple opportunities on the field and has acquitted himself well. I do not follow this one at all.

DKR would not coach petulant players if any of this is true. Grow up. Be responsible. If you are a dad, ask them about their classes and grades and how they are fitting in on campus.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I dont think its realistic to expect anyone to go on the record about these comments

So, it is possible its all untrue. But this is the stuff of sports message boards. No reason to hide from it

30. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Nah...STILL don't want a Tate Martell polluting the 40 Acres.

• Funny Funny x 1
  31. RainH2burntO

Thanks for saving me the time of writing this^^^^