We have two choices..........

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by majorwhiteapples, Dec 10, 2015.

1. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

1.) Call Tom Herman, get him to verbally commit to Texas and then fire Charlie, or

2.) Continue with SS Charlie for 2016, and cross our fingers, and IF that ship sinks get Tom Herman to commit to Texas after 2016......If the ship does not sink....SS Herman will be gone probably forever....

My opinion:
    Having been in Sales for as long as I have, go get Herman NOW!!! Make a splash in college football be the headline for the next week.
    Even though I am not a huge Charlie fan this is nothing against Charlie! He is just not getting the job done.
    With Herman we get the QB whisperer, the offensive mind and give him a blank checkbook to go out and get the best DC in the country.
    I think that DC is Greg Robinson but I don't think he wants to live in Texas, but Money talks.
    Herman also knows Texas recruiting unlike Charlie who is off in Michigan going after a 3 star linebacker, remind anyone of Cecil Cherry?

Is there another option? or solution?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I get what you're saying; I just don't think anyone has the nerve to do that and it may be too late to get Herman to move anyway, but coaches will do what they want if the offer is right. It may be that one more year is what will happen and then we will know what to do. The good news is that Herman is "stashed" over in Houston so that option remains.

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Herman does look like a terrific big-time coach. Perrin has said he won't ax Charlie this year and it would look bizarre to replace him now.

4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If a "splash" hire is what you want, then roll up to Nick Saban's house in a Brinks truck.

5. majorwhiteapples

I don't disagree with waiting a year, but the more I read and learn about Herman....the more this guy screams TEXAS.......

6. majorwhiteapples

Herman will be even more expensive next year if we wait because Houston will still be loaded on offense. Only two seniors on offense leaving and the defensive secondary will be depleted but that offense will have another year under it's belt.......

If we wait a year, Herman will cost $6 or $7mill next year......

His agreement with Houston, last I heard had not been signed yet, it was in principle. Houston being a state school has to have it signed by the BoR.

7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm sorry but you guys need to get over this. It's one thing to speculate and all that, but let's be clear. The fact that Charlie is shopping for an OC says that... and let's all repeat this together...

"HE IS NOT GOING TO BE FIRED THIS YEAR."

Deal with it and move on. You'll have all of next year to complain and say that he needs to be fired. But right now you're just wasting your time pushing an idea that will never happen.

As for Herman, if you think he's going to jump ship literally DAYS after he just signed an extension, you're kidding yourself. You would end up dumping CS after the big pieces in the coaching carousel have already moved, and you're going to end up with a mediocre hire - assuming Herman isn't a mediocre hire. He had one year at a school that's a step below where Strong coached, and which labeled him as "unqualified" by this board. So now you want to go hire a guy that's coached at UH for ONE YEAR????

I'm sorry but I've had it with the utter idiocy on this board.

• Like Like x 9
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think everyone knows he's not going to be fired. It's being dealt with. It's just talk. That's all it is from me.

9. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Major I am on board with your thought process about Herman and would love to see your number 1. or number 2. happen if it is possible.
    I do think the kissing of players would have to stop.
    Would rather have Fedora, but I am on your train.

10. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Also, sometimes it takes a loss of sales revenue to get operation management to take care of the customer.

11. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Too early in the day for me to get wrapped up in the discussion, but got my late morning off to a good start on that last part of it! ...like, off in Timbucktoo going after a 3-star linebacker... :smokin:
    Yea, I bought into that whole thing hook, line and sinker a year ago...

12. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

The question still has to be does anyone really think that Charlie Strong is on par with the elite coaches out there? Does Charlie Strong have the ability to be a coach who leads Texas to multiple Big 12 titles and is in the playoff mix almost yearly?

I feel like this is David McWilliams Part II. He fired his OC & DC in 1989. It helped turn around one season in 1990 in a very weak SWC. The sad reality was that 1990 was an anomaly for a guy who was never going to be an elite or even good coach.

Will hiring a new OC make Charlie Strong great all of the sudden?

13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Charlie's resume is impressive. The head coaches he's worked for, his accomplishments as a defensive coordinator and the steady improvement and excellence at Louisville show him capable of success. Whether he can right the ship here is an open question. It's a different competitive environment and football is evolving. I like him as a recruiter, talent evaluator and wholesome father figure. Decisions on assistant coaches, game day coaching and developing toughness and resilience to win on the road have been problematic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Tom Herman has the proven success needed and I think he's a good fit and would do well at Texas . But as pointed out above, Strong is the HC for 2016. What happens after that depends on the results on the field next year. I do believe that another 5-7 or even a 6-6 will be enough to spark the AD (and BMDs) to make a change.

15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I think you nailed it right there! Good post.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

This. Everyone needs to support Strong in 2016 and hope for the best. Change will not be coming this year no matter what. Is retaining Charlie the right call? We find out in 2016. However, Strong is being retained like it or not. If Strong does not win in 2016, then we move on to the next guy.

• Like Like x 3
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

18. majorwhiteapples

Well events change, and the past 4 days tell me that we are getting the same old same old Charlie Strong......and if we don't act now, next year is going to be the same......and we are going to be asking ourselves why oh why.....

Again, as some have low Reading Comprehension scores, we have two options, cut the cord now or hedge our bet for next year.......

What amount of games or blowouts saves or cans Charlie next year?

First 6 games, I see what 3-3 maybe at best 4-2? Does 8-4 save Charlie? Does 9-3? What if he goes 7-5? What do you do? What if he goes 9-3 gets blown out by ND, OU and Baylor?

Not saying let's cut the cord, just talking about options and every option I am looking at besides 10+ wins is cut the cord now and go get Herman. Just my opinion, what is yours, what does Charlie have to do next year to keep his job? He probably has to do what Stoops did and I just don't see it in Charlie.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas has dodged a bullet the size of a nuclear warhead. Just a couple of weeks ago, it appeared that UGA, USC, LSU, and possibly A&M would all be open with a limited number of quality coaches. Three of the "big four" coaches are still in play.

It is likely that A&M and LSU will be looking all spring. Aggies are not happy finishing 6th in the SEC West every year. Sumlin has gone from hot commodity to hot seat and it's getting warmer.

LSU is really pissed at the bad hatter for contacting Hayden about the USC job. Those coonass' have long memories and won't forget.

Next year, Texas, aTm, and LSU will have the same three coaches on the radar:

Fedora, Herman & Saban. LSU truly believes they can convince Terry to come "home" to Baton Rouge. Should that fail, they will go after Fedora, who is much more "proven" than Herman. Herman will be the backup plan.

My suggestion is that Fenves & Perrin (must be both) visit with Saban. It must be both to show solidarity and commitment, not like the moving pieces which Powers blew up. Fedora has more experience than Herman and should be the second call. Problem is LSU & aTm will both be on the phone prior to Perrin. Herman then becomes #3, which he won't mind as long as the list ends with him.

20. kjc34

kjc34 < 25 Posts

Tom Herman? You must be joking. When are we going to stop taking on these coaches who haven't proven anything on a national stage? This is UT. Even a Sooner would admit that it is the best job in America. Let's start acting like it.
    Open the vault, hire Saban, and own CFB for the next 10 years.

21. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I pretty much have succumb to the painful reality that CS will be here another year. Thus I'm doing my best to support the OC hiring process.

However if CS blows this Gilbert hire, or Gilbert (and Cumbie) shuns his offer, I'll quickly be reverting back to desiring Strong's removal.

There's no better fit (available) for both parties than Gilbert. He gets significant upgrades in every aspect of his current position. We get a hungry OC who successfully installed his offense at 3 programs in the last 4 years, recently developed 2 successful QB's (Evans, Garappolo), and has deep Texas HS coaching ties.

There is zero reason for this hire not to occur. If it doesn't it means CS has no f'n clue what he's doing in hiring an OC...OR...CS is so suspect that 2 OC's refused solid job upgrades to avoid working for him. Either would scream CS needs to go NOW.

Hire Gilbert already and quit screwing around. Forget hiring a 58 year old OC who's never coached in Texas on any level. Franklin has some solid production, some questionable recent years as well, but the lack of Texas HS connection (we already struggle with) cannot be overstated.

It would be another example of CS ignoring the importance of building solid ties in Texas HS circles. The exact opposite of how Mack became an elite recruiter.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

First, we'll hear the same after each game..."we JUST gotta (fill inthe blank) get better; compete; improve; work harder; play harder," like we did this year. And the "we're still a young team and make freshman mistakes..." I would set certain objectives for the program, like must go 10-2 or 9-3 with no losses by more than 9 points, no losses at home and so on. There are endless possibilities, plus put an end to excuses like, "well we have a new staff with a new system and the guys are still trying to learn the system. If we go, pick a result, say 7-5 or 8-4 and blow outs at home or by more than 20 points or losses to a program like kansas or ISU, that's unacceptable! Time to say good bye. We can't keep giving out mulligans after sub standard seasons. Our standard, as I recall, is to be in the mix for conference championships and a shot at the NC each and every year. Strong needs to conform to the standard, pick it up and quick.

23. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

This is what is going to happen....The writing is on the wall. We will not get the OC we need because none want to risk a one year employment with guaranteed money afterward when they have a good job with a little security now.
    Charlie will win 7 games next year and be given a fourth...We will then lose out on Herman, Fedora, and others. Saban is not leaving Bama. He is too old to fool with a rebuild project, plus doesn't like facing Big 12 offenses.
    It took many years to overcome getting rid of Akers....It will take many more to overcome getting rid of Mack because we made the wrong hire when we did it. Back when we fired Akers we did manage to win a few SWC and Big 12 titles along the way...That won't happen now-a-days. We will wonder in the wastelands until a "Bob Stoops" type hire comes around. I am glad a national title came our way once in my adult lifetime, as I don't think there will be one any time soon.
    I expect a loss to ND to start next season, then another rollercoaster ride like this year.
    Not being able to land an OC right away will hurt recruiting. This class will not be as good as 2015 ( and that one didn't end up that great with all the no shows ). We will not be much better in 2016.
    What needs to happen is Charlie be told he must win 8 or more games with victories over three of the following ( BU,OU,TCU,WVU,KSU ), no blowout losses (20+), and finish at least 3rd in the Big 12. If he can do that, he gets a fourth year. If not...hit the bricks.

24. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I am, just not out loud anymore, as I resigned myself several weeks ago that UT did not have the guts to fire CS after 2 years. I say we are going to end up firing him in a year anyway, so better to do it now. I know that is not going to happen so I am just hoping for the best with his OC hire.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well that is around where they finished in each year in the Big XII so nothing new there.

26. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think it weird to believe a hot commodity assistant coach won't come here over "job security" issues. They're going to be getting enough money on a guaranteed contract to be "secure" for life for a middle income lifestyle. Confident in their abilities, they surely expect to land on their feet even if the Longhorns meltdown next season. Schools will look at them as a top assistant or maybe even a head coach. How often do assistants change jobs anyway? I'm thinking 3 years with one school is on the high end of average on most assistant coach resumes. Any of the guys we interviewing stayed anywhere long enough to see a player they recruited graduate?

27. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Oh boy...

What qualifies Houston as a step below Louisville? Because Louisville is all of a sudden in the ACC now? A. Strong only coached Louisville when they were in the Big East / American. B. No doubt if Strong had to coach in the ACC after Louisville moved his ceiling would've been 9 wins. Here's why:

In 2012 & 2013, Strong started the seasons 9-0 and 6-0, respectively. All combined 15 wins were against unranked teams. Then, with an undefeated season on the line, with Teddy Bridgewater, Strong gets out-coached and his team out played by a better team. In 2012, Strong got creamed by the might Syracuse Orange, and then followed up nicely after a bye week with a loss, at home, against UCONN. The score of that game was 23-20 in 3 OT. That's right, in 3 overtimes, Strong's defense held the other team to 23 points and LOST. To a Big East team. That season ended with Louisville beating Florida in the Sugar Bowl, however, Florida clearly showed how talented they were by spiraling to 4-8 the next season.

Again in 2013, everyone has eyes on Louisville and Teddy Bridgewater. But they choke, at home, late in a game against UCF. Louisville would go on to to finish the season 11-1 against their high school competition and play in a very meaningful Russell Athletic Bowl (sarcasm).

Compare that resume to Tom Herman. This year alone, Houston has faced three top 25 teams, and won all of them. In Charlie Strong's last two seasons, Louisville played zero top 25 teams in the regular season. Zero.

Houston this year also played @ Louisville, against players that Charlie Strong had recruited, and beat them. Tom Herman has taken a team that struggled mightily last year to a 12-1 conference champion playing in a New Years Six bowl.

Tom Herman was compensated $1.3 million for his efforts this year. Charlie was almost payed that much for each game he managed to win i.e. clearly a waste of money. Tom Herman and his team are going places, while Texas is has lost more and more games each season for four years in a row.

So all in all, you're dead right. One program is a step below the other. But it's Texas a step below Houston, and you can credit that to coaching. #TexasStrong

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

29. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I do. I'm not certain that it happen, but I think he has taken the first steps in that direction and should be given a fair chance to complete the job.

Two players on the Freshman All American team. Seven (I think) freshman getting all conference honors. Given them time to gain experience and mold into a team, and they have every chance to be great.

As I've said before, I hope our next head coach is in high school right now.

30. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Why do some refuse to accept that Charlie, love him or hate him, will be here next year?