We Really Need Our Freshmen

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Dec 6, 2016.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Put the ball in Sutton's hands and free up McCarty for scoring. Joyner should be one of our main go-to players. Once she realizes that she is almost impossible to guard when attacking the rim... Look out! I'm anxious to see Underwood come into own and establish herself as a rebounder.

• Like Like x 4
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

The idea is novel, and long term that will be the right move. Just not too sure if now is that time. Because against elite talent, Sutton is not where she needs to be YET. And Brooke gives us the best chance to win

• Like Like x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm hoping that over the next four or five games we'll be able to let those players looses a little and allow them to come into their own some. We need these freshman to pick up the slack from last year's graduation. We've been kinda between a rock and a hard place thus far with the killer schedule... but I've enjoyed it all the same because I see a little growth and improvement in some area with each game.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, Jada is still under concussion protocol. Alecia is still easing back as she recovers from an ACL injury last year, Joyner is starting even though she still needs to develop a better touch around the basket. Their time will come, but not before Big 12 competition starts. I am looking forward to how deep and experienced we will be in the NCAAs.

5. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Sorry to hear that about Jada . Do you know about Ariel's status?

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nada, far as I know, they have not released anything. I am hoping it was more precautionary than an actual concussion. I would like to see her match up with Tenn's DeShield's Sunday. But we really need her more for conference play than against Tenn. So if it's necessary for her to miss the Tenn game, so be it.

7. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

I agree. We badly need someone like Sutton and I hope they give her a lot of minutes. We have to give our offense a shot of adrenaline, either with tactics or personnel. Maybe Sutton will help and maybe she won't, but the experiment is worth the risk. She may not be where she needs to be against top talent yet, but neither is our team, if you judge by the results. We can't score enough points and we need shooters. We couldn't beat Stanford, Miss. St., South Carolina or UConn. ND may have looked bad against UConn, but I doubt we could beat them. Baylor looms down the road. We don't have an effective offense against top teams. Maybe that will come, but really it looks to me like we need to do more than just wait for it to all happen in due course. Give Sutton more minutes; bring her along as fast as we can.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Depending heavily on veterans Atkins, McCarty and Lange WILL get us to the dance...how long we stay there will depend on the new players. PERIOD.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Today's game against Tennessee allowed the freshmen to show what they can do; and, they did. Maybe the coaches read this thread . . .

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I won't say "I told you so," but...

Great game ladies! :yippee:

• Like Like x 1