We Texans' plan to eliminate property taxes

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BernOrange, Jun 15, 2012.

1. BernOrange

BernOrange 500+ Posts

As I mentioned in the North Dakota property tax thread, I had urged We Texans to post a FAQ addressing the common concerns and questions I was seeing in vairous corners when discussing the issue. They have now posted the FAQ along with a summary explanation of their property tax elimination plan and the history of it's evolution:

http://wetexans.com/bold-plan-free-texas/

2. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Very interesting, but who gets to decide how much is "necessary" to fund public schools? Our school cuts were pretty deep and we lost some good young teachers. Next year will be year number two with no salary/benefit increase for me. Obviously teachers don't "do it" for the money, but we do expect to be paid for our expertise and skill. I would love to lose the property taxes I have to pay. That would be a pay increase in itself. It would also make everyone that purchases goods or services in the state a contributor to the school system, legal resident or illegal resident. Everyone has skin in the game and I like that part of it.

3. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

4. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

The majority of texans I know seem to not have a huge problem with the amount of state taxes they pay. The Texas economy is doing better than most. Why change anything?

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

"everyone" already has skin in the game.

you don't think renters pay property taxes? Don't you suppose that taxes are considered when rent rates are set?

6. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

7. FridayNiteLites

I don't know it for a fact, but I don't think the majority of the rent payment goes toward the property taxes. I would say that most of the rent cost would go toward the principal owed by the owner. Then there is the insurance and property taxes owed by the owner. So no, I don't think they have much of any skin in the game. A sales tax captures everyone.

8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Big Will is right. I have rental property and I consider property taxes when I set rent. Anyone renting property profitably does....

9. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

Public schools are not cutting. They are adding administrative positions. See the other thread. I was told by the HR director that the IS position would be cut, but the Principal of the school told me they were adding the admin. position and keeping the IS position.

10. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

I think they will lose a whole bunch of people right here:

Q. Isn’t it preferable to be able to deduct property taxes on one’s federal income tax return?

People don't like filing out the 1040 and not getting what they're used to getting.

11. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

12. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

13. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

14. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

15. FridayNiteLites

Everyone will pay in some form or fashion. Teens will pay when they purchase something. Seniors who have a cap on their property taxes will pay. Will we lose a deduction? Sure. Is it worth it? To me, yes. I would rather choose where and how I spend my money as opposed to handing it over in a lump sum to the local district to allow them to spend it in frivolous ways and means.