We used to simply call them 'Stationwagons'

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Napoleon, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Sec39Row7

Sec39Row7 < 25 Posts

I grew up with this one:

[​IMG]

Imagine that driving around Plano with Wildcat stickers and all shoepolished up for the state games in '86 and '87.

We also drove it to Wisconsin about a million times and laid both backseats down effectively making it a two seater with the 3 kids in the back. It was awesome. We once brought a TV and plugged it into the cigarette lighter and watched TV as we drove along. That was way before DVDs in the car.

2. GhostOfTomJoad

GhostOfTomJoad 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Couldn't find an actual pic, just a magazine add. I grew up in the lime green '73 Plymouth Suburban custom. 360 cu. in V-8. Very important for flying down the icy roads in Minnesota. I remember being punished as a kid & being forced to wash & detail that thing. Took an entire weekend.

My oldest sister had to drive that thing to high school. She acted like it was embarassing but years later admitted that her boyfriend (now husband) used to drag race it behind the North Star steel mill or off of Radio Drive. And of course it was big enough to have an orgy in the backseat.

Dang. Sorry 'bout the massive image. But then again, it's only fitting on a post about '70s station wagons. [​IMG]

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Thankfully the Los Angeles Times has enough balls to call a spade a spade.

4. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

That Venza looks like a Ford Edge.

[​IMG]

5. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

I bought one of these '73 Chevelle wagons new for $2,800 - it had a 307, stick shift, a third seat, A/C & a radio. It got 11 mpg in the city & on the highway...never varied.

[​IMG]

6. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

well, fwiw my first car after college was/is a subaru wrx wagon. They call it a wagon, iand ts a wagon. And a wagon of the old school, with far more horsepower than is reasonable. I love it.

7. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

8. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

9. Mr. Picc

Mr. Picc 25+ Posts

10. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

The Subaru wagons are NICE! Even if they are rally race ready. (WRX)

A guy who just bought one of my surfboards showed up in a Mazda CX7 (or maybe a CX9). It was black with a roofrack for his bigger boards. (He put the 7'0" inside the car.)

[​IMG]

It's one nice looking station wagon.

11. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

12. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

13. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

We had the 1973 Chevrolet Impala station wagon, no frills, except for the back end windshield would go up and down when my dad inserted the key that was outside right next to the glass.

We loved the "back end". We used to make the trip from Austin to Amarillo to visit grandparents, and when we were smaller, two of us kids would fit back there.

I liked learning to drive with that car, 400 cubic inch engine.

It was pretty funny when I took my driving test in that car in 1980. The seat belt in the passenger front seat had partially melted together, obviously never been used. So when the DPS trooper got in the car, he struggled with the seat belt, got it working and then we started.

I was so proud I was able to parallel park that car!

14. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

15. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts