Wedding Registries

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by longhrnfan, Jul 8, 2007.

1. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

any good places that will appease ME? the macys, crate, tiffanys etc are all fine and dandy, but I mean whats out there for me that people will actually buy? Sears?

2. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Home depot and Lowes have registries. Gift cards from them are great and sometimes you get a discount using a gift card.

Setting up a house should really be about both of you. You probably eat off dishes too.

The home depot cards are good for people moving into a fixer upper.

3. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

True, but God knows I could care less about a tiffany's serving spoon we'll never use because we'll only use an all-clad. I've already convinced myself that its no use arguing with a lot of the stupid crap she'll make us register for.

Another problem (well not really a problem), is that there are many people that will spend between 500-1000 dollars, but wont do cash or anything similar. They'll want to buy is like a giant crystal thing or something. I mean what do you register for in that range that you'll use? We're too young to have our house we'll be in for awhile... I mean we still rent an apartment. We're both 1st year attorneys.

4. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

I've heard that a good place to register is Bed, Bath & Beyond because if you return anything they will give you cash if you want instead of store credit. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this, just something I heard.

5. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

BBB is really nice to have if you're putting together a home for the first time, or starting from scratch anyway.

For the guys, REI. We got some cool stuff from there, and a good response from those who shopped there.

6. CTGA_Horn

CTGA_Horn 250+ Posts

7. gsoda3

gsoda3 250+ Posts

8. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

i'm registering right now, and BBB has been the best place so far. i was fairly appeased. Crate and Barrel also had some nice stuff.

i've also heard from friends that Target is the worst place to register, as their return policy sucks ***.

$500-1000? holy **** man, that's pretty awesome. we had to scrap our Vera Wang china because we figured no one would buy that. you could have it pretty covered quite quickly at that rate.

a few suggestions to appease you: a big green egg, a nice flat screen tv, power tools, sheets and crap for your bed that isn't girly (really, if you don't specify, you could hate it).

good luck and congratulations!

9. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Register at Dillards and they give you 20% off anything that isn't bought on your registry. I imagine quite a few other stores have similar policies.

And Home Depot registries are weird... I tried to do one but the only options were an online only registry or a store specific registry (so the only place people could buy off my Home Depot registry was at the specific store I placed the registry at...). In the end, we chose Crate and Barrel and Dillards and I'm just going to buy my own tools.

BTW, you better keep plenty of $50 options available for your poor friends or we won't be buying you anything at all. Not that you need our gifts with your $500-$1000 gift guests.

10. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

One thing you'll figure out, if you haven't already, is that all this wedding stuff is for her, not you.

My suggestion is to just suck it up, let her pick out whatever she wants, and tack on a few of the cooler things at Bed Bath and Beyond, or throw an Xbox on at Target. That way, she won't resent you. Seriously. (She got what she wanted, and I got my kickass Henkels knives. And that's more than I expected.)

11. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, my wife still brings up the fact that I chimed in on the daily eating dishes - don't want to eat off plates with a detailed pattern on them - cant tell what is the plate and what is the food. Maybe I'm just weird. But we compromised and we can both live with it.

Make sure you contribute on things like that. Maybe be the one that picks out the one after she has narrowed it down to like 3 choices.

12. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

Def keep some of the higher dollar items on there. I know people that will pool money together with others and shell out for a big item, 'from all of us.'

13. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

14. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Williams Sonoma has some nice ($$$) stuff for the kitchen.

15. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

We are doing Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and have had no problems so far. We also haven't tried to return anything.

As for Lowes, we went there this weekend to get some gifts off a registry and it was a hassle. The people at Lowes really didn't know how to print us the list of items or take things off the registry. They figured it out but took a while. The couple has also had issues with Lowes on other items. Just something to consider.