Weekend Grilling?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Traffic, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

anybody else grilling/smoking this weekend?

I have a rack of babybacks, a ring of sausage and a beer can chicken currently smoking.

I've also scalded a thumb cause I'm a dumb fvck.

2. austintexas

austintexas Guest

what's your address?

3. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

ha! my skill level doesn't warrant attendance.

4. John Galt

John Galt 100+ Posts

I put a pork butt on the Big Green Egg at midnight (CDT) and just now got up to check the fire at 5 (CST) and have drunk just enough beers to be confused by the time change. Guess I'll have one more before going back to bed. Anyway, the pork will be pulled sometime midafternoon.

5. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I put a brisket in the smoker at 2 am this morning; I'm feeding a bunch of foreign exchange students tonight.

Can anyone recommend a good remote smoker thermometer?

6. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I did two racks of ribs and a pork tenderloin. They were killed.

7. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

8. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

WIth the "cold front" coming, I made a big pot of chili on the green egg.

9. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

10. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

I’m not a real stickler for the details. I start with a base of about 5 lbs of meat. For this, I had 3 lbs ground round and 2 lbs of Owens sausage, but real chili meat and/or brisket is always nice. I usually throw some fresh chiles in, but didn’t have any on hand. Anyway, the rest was 6 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 14 oz can of tomatoes, 1 6 oz can tomato paste, 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 2 tablespoons paprika, and some tabasco. Sauteed onion and browned meat inside. Mixed everything on the stove and brought to a light boil. Then transferred to the egg (set up for an indirect cook), threw on some mesquite and apple chunks to get the smoke, and then let it simmer there between 280 and 300 for 2-3 hours.

11. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

I smoked a brisket this weekend, my second ever. It turned out nicely, though I didn't wrap it in foil soon enough and it got a little dried out.

I did, however, make some unbelievable chopped beef sandwiches out of the leftovers. They blew my mind. [​IMG]

12. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Every Monday we should list what was on the menu for the weekend. Here's mine:

Saturday

Babybacks. I usually don't do the sticky sweet sauce thing, just mop sauce and a rub, but I had some left over sauce I had been keeping frozen because I used brisket juice in it and it would spoil. I put some brown sugar in it, reduced it down and cooked the ribs with the sauce the last 30 min or so and they were spaktakular. Some of the best I have ever made. Served with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies.

Sunday

Stuffed some butterfly pork chops with romano cheese and Italian breadcrumbs. Grilled them and lightly coated them with the leftover sauce from the night before on them. Crusty on the outside, white (slightly pink) and juicy on the inside. Served with leftover veggies from Friday and white wine.

Can't wait till next weekend. If I don't fire up the grill at least once during the weekend I get all depressed.