Weekly RPI Update - 1/27

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Stuck_At_Work, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

1. Tenn
    2. Kansas
    3. UNC
    4. Memphis
    5. Mich St
    6. Duke
    7. Arizona
    8. Drake
    9. Georgetown
    10. Wazzu
    11. Vandy
    12. UCLA
    13. Texas
    14. Miss
    15. St. Mary's
    16. Xavier

Texas SOS: 16

Other Notables:
    56 Oral Roberts
    21 Wisconsin
    79 Mizzou
    152 Colorado
    141 Ok State
    63 Texas Tech
    ------------------
    42 Aggie
    32 Baylor
    28 OU
    101 Iowa St
    2 Kansas
    39 Kansas St
    159 Nebraska

The toughest stretch of the season is coming up. I wouldn't be surprised if it pushed our SOS into the top 5.

2. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

I cant think of anyone who has played OOC teams of the caliber of Tennessee (W), UCLA (W), Mich. St. (L), St. Marys (W), and Wis (L - I still dont know why!)... some teams may pass Texas' SOS in conference but no one can claim to have played a harder OCC...

[this was said blindly to make someone else do the research and prove me wrong as I am too lazy!] [​IMG]

Hook'em

3. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

Actually, Tennessee has a pretty comparable schedule, with games against Texas (L), West Virginia (W), @ Gonzaga (W), @ Xavier (W) and Ohio State (W), and an upcoming matchup with Memphis. I guess that's why they're #1 on the RPI.

4. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Are West Virginia, Gonzaga, and Ohio St. that good this year?

Texas has 3 losses:
    #10 Michigan St. (16-2)
    #11 Wisconsin (15-2)
    Missouri (conference game)

2 of thoses losses weren't against top teams and in OOC schedule so I just don't see the 2 situations comparable.

5. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

We are 3-1 vresus the top 15 with a home game against #2 still to come. That is pretty good and will really help when we are seeded. A win over an undefeated Kansas team would be huge.

6. M C Orange

M C Orange 100+ Posts

I was happy with the way we played against Tech. We should be ready to go tourney time, no matter what seed we get! [​IMG]

7. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

SOS 1 Arizona (have played 12 top 100 teams, 17 top 200 teams)

SOS 2 Tenn (have played 10 top 100 teams, 17 top 200 teams)

Texas has played 8 top 100 teams, 13 top 200 teams

8. KosherHorn

KosherHorn 250+ Posts

Only 25% of the RPI is based on wins, and even that is weighted more towards road wins. Tennessee is #1 in the RPI as much for the wins as their lack of games versus really bad teams (with RPIs of 201 or higher). They have 6 wins against Top 50 RPI teams with wins over Xavier, West Virginia and Gonzaga away from home. They also have a total of ten wins over top 100 teams, which is the most of any top team except North Carolina. On the flip side, Tennessee has only played one bad RPI team, Prairie View with an RPI of 315. The real UT, Texas, has three wins over the Top 50, five wins over the Top 100, yet five wins over teams with an RPI of 201 or worse. Then add that 25% of the RPI is opponent's schedule strength, and UT's RPI is hurt even more. Hence, UT's RPI is 14.

Fortunately, the NCAA committee looks into much more than just the RPI. In fact, Tennessee wouldn't be a 1 seed if the season ended today because they just lost at Kentucky and the road win at Xavier is their best of the year so far. That's a better win than most people think (ask Indiana), but the overall Tennessee profile is not near good enough for a 1 seed. They're a 2 or 3 right now.