Welcome to Gilead!!!

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by OUBubba, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He gave a pretty balanced assessment. He did say it was essential to keep us safe. With the ability of the country to get pulled into massively destructive wars on an almost instantaneous basis (especially with regard to nuclear weapons and the Soviet threat in Europe), we couldn't afford to transition to a wartime economy on and off. We had to maintain a significant permanent military force, continuously develop new and better weapons and equipment, and maintain the ability to quickly produce arms. However, he recognized and cautioned against that system gaining "unwarranted influence" that jeopardized American liberty. He was right in both regards, and I say that as someone who's soldly pro-military.

An often forgotten part of his speech was his warning that science was starting to be corrupted by government policy and money. Everybody remembers the MIC comment, but this part of his speech might have been even more on the ball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

D
    That is what I meant to say.:coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

You are correct. I didn't know the detail. But was mainly trying to say that it existed while he was President, but didn't say anything about it until he was on the way out.

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mona
    You be stand up Horn Fan.

5. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

That sounds very dangerous. Permanent wartime economy means there will be permanent war as we have seen before our eyes. That doesn't sound like a protection of freedom or individual rights to me, or even security. It sounds like what an empire would say trying to justify its ever growing rule over people.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Please elaborate on said volumes.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Coach, it would take too long.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It sounds dangerous if you ignore the alternative, which was Stalin taking over all of Europe in the short term and probably much more in the long term.

9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Kind of sounded like a snipe. So, duly noted.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's a well-meaning snipe.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like a backhanded comment that I expect from other ******** around here but not you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Let me help: Impressionable young people normally are the ones sucked in to the fantasy land that is liberal idealogy. Then, they grow up and mature and realize it is all ********. They move towards conservatism because it is not insane like liberalism.

So, to move the opposite way is what speaks volumes.

That about it in a nutshell?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You don't expect me to make fun of you? I do it almost every chance I get.

14. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I didn't mean to put out the bat signal.... :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Well...you sorta kept asking for an explanation. So, I offered up one.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I wrote a long response but thought wiser of it.

I will just say that:
    1) No one knows really what the alternative was going to be. Claiming one as a certainty is speculation which can be reasonable. But even within the bounds of reason drastically different scenarios could be surmised.
    2) Communism is not a long term answer for building military power. Communism creates poverty and the disintegration of society. We saw that in the USSR and it disintegrated in 1991. There is talk that Russia could further fracture into smaller pieces in the not too distant future too. I don't fear Communism abroad. I only fear to live within a Communist system.

17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

That's great news!

I bet the Leftist judges smoke pot, go to drag queen shows, or have drinks with other Leftists who bring cases to the court. They all live in DC this they have to interact with someone. If Christian SCOTUS judges pray with politically active Christians, so what?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Obviously, it wasn't a certainly. Virtually nothing is, but there was good reason to prepare for it. However, Stalin did not behave as someone who planned to go home. It's a bit like locking your doors at night. Is somebody going to try to come in? Probably not, but the consequences of being wrong make locking your door worthwhile.

I'll never understand your mindset here. Communism is a proven failure. That is true, but it doesn't fail overnight and can cause a hell of a lot of death and destruction along the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Like Like x 1
  22. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

You'd have LOVED the 4th of July festival and fireworks at the zoo in lufkin Monday evening. Before the fireworks show the band (good one) led the large attendance in prayer, then the pledge of allegiance, then the playing of the Star Spangled Banner...Those scoundrels!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

There is a large range of ways to prepare to protect yourself. A perpetual war state is at the extreme. I agree some preparation was needed, but questioning the extreme we took.

It causes death to the countries that adopt it. The fight is to keep your own country from adopting. That is more of an ideological war than a military one. Give your citizens freedom and economic opportunity and there is no significant threat. Kick them out of your universities and government agencies and the threat goes to zero. The US fought a Cold War militarily while funding (government and private orgs) Marxists to spread their ideas in elite US universities. Seems backwards to me, and we are paying the price now.

The USSR didn't have the resources to impose communism on the US. It didn't even impose communism militarily on other countries other than those in the Soviet Union, mostly. Many of the weapons they had after WW2 were either given to them by the US or funded through money we gave them. Their ability to project power was minimal. Their M.O. was to foment internal revolutions not militarily take over outside of very close neighbors. They didn't conquer Finland or Sweden. They gave up their control over a part of Austria in 1955 via a promise of perpetual neutrality. So it is valid to question just how much military preparation was needed by the US to protect itself from the USSR.

The fight globally was also ideological. Their only attractive point to poor countries in SA, Asia and Africa was that the US was associated with colonialism. They saw the Soviets as liberators from colonialism and the US allies of it. Obviously that was a lie and maybe the US couldn't have convinced countries of that, but that is still how it played out.

Example par excellence was Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh after WW2 was a big fan of America. He spoke about his admiration of the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson, and Lincoln (I think). But instead of supporting his independence movement, the US supported France and then ran France's playbook for them. The US reputation was tarnished in the 3rd World as a result. Of course Ho Chi Minh regretted turning to the communists for support. The movement was taken from him and he was marginalized. He learned that the communists were not trustworthy, but too late. We lost the ideological war by following France's example instead of being America. Vietnam didn't really want communism. They wanted independence. Similar stories played out in Africa and Latin America.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  24. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Now that's way different! RBG and the ACLU were doing legal work. God is doing spiritual work!

In seriousness, since we can easily find people at church who support abortion and and other people who do not (yet they all pray), seems like we have a chance of either side using prayer for their case.

25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Nostradamus.

26. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Funny how we can watch the same thing and have completely different interpretations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Not funny, haha. But funny indeed.

28. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

There are people who simply walked the hallways on Jan 6 that were sent to prison. That clip rings true to them I'm sure

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Well that’s it- Bijan must be kicked off the team now! Outrageous that a team leader does this horrid dastardly and high pressure task!
    Does he not understand that Religious Freedom and the First Amendment not be upheld as snowflakes can be offended.

Love this! From #5!

“Some days we’re out here crying after workouts because we work so hard and we understand what we want for this season, especially because it’s 107 out here every other day,” Longhorn running back Bijan Robinson said. “It’s definitely a grind. I love it.”

Robinson said he leads a team prayer after some workout days for those who want to participate. For those not interested in that activity, he makes sure to still be there for them in other ways in order to be a leader for the entire team.“

I am certain that NO players who don’t participate in this act feel angered or rejected.

As true if a player spread a mat and bowed to the East NO player would be offended.

30. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Regardless of what side of the fence one is, how can anyone agree that errrrbody go to jail from Jan 6, when Antifa are caught red handed stealing , vandalizing and assaulting people and not be charged?

November can’t get here fast enough.

• Agree Agree x 5