'Welcome' to the SEC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HORN60, Dec 17, 2011.

1. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

I talked on the phone with my friend in Alabama today, an Auburn fan for 50 years. He also hosted local radio and tv sports show there for a while.

He was lamenting he didn’t know yet what the Tigers' schedule would be next year, except that he would have to give up playing either Vanderbilt or Florida for a game with that damned team he didn’t care anything about - the ags.

He said he has a storied history with his fellow SEC teams, and obviously none with these oddball intruders who they don’t want in their midst. He hates them already - for their intrusion, their disrupting intrusion, and their ridiculous reputation.

As a good representative of knowledgeable, die-hard SEC fans, he most certainly reflects the attitude of most there in receiving our lost little brothers into their game. Hopefully, that will be the case for a long time to come.

2. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

I wish you kept better company. But more important, I wish I gave a damn.

3. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

No better company than my old friend.
    No one gives less a damn about the departure than me.

4. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

I give a damn about the departure...

so much so that I thank God everyday that those sheep ******* are gone.

5. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

Is someone leaving? Or did they pass on

6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

Just remember, Ags, you can always come home. Find your way to Mobile Bay, then head South. You can't miss it.

7. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Tell him it could be worse. He might have to give up a game to play Mizzou

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

In a few years the SEC will be offering $10M or so to the Mountain West or Conference USA to take aggy off their hands.

A&M will be the red-headed foster program, bouncing around from one conference to another, desperate for a loving embrace but only meeting with indifference and scorn as they eat cold gruel from a TV tray in the garage while their partners enjoy mirth and delicacies in the opulent environs of relevant college football. Whoop!

9. HornFinc

HornFinc 250+ Posts

A lot of ags I know think it's going to be BBQing and tailgating with all these football-savvy, cool SEC fans every weekend, talking about how football is so much better in the southeast. I think it's going to be more of what the OP is saying.

10. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Your friend will have to give up all the storied games when his life is over. That will really suck.

11. FireRC

FireRC 500+ Posts

Why do you guys care?

12. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

because it's fuuny

13. UT Longhorn

UT Longhorn 500+ Posts

14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

LOL. Classic.

15. Tri-Stone

Tri-Stone 25+ Posts

16. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

^ harsh, but made me laugh.

17. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

Whoops! Aggy, you ARE funny...

I, like Trusted Insider & Tri-Stone enjoyed watching your last 40 years "average-ness", self-absorbing attitude, all the different "traditions & chants" you have and your "we're as good as you" mentality! That doesn't even touch upon the first 80 years of your futile existence... it will take some getting time to used to... and we will, but it will take a laugh or two along the way!

18. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Tri Stone with the post of the year. Now I wish it could be the final mention of aggy, ever, on this website.

19. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

There is a lot of that in Knoxville as well. It's kind of a weird dichotomy in that they're slightly welcomed in an "SEC SEC SEC" way but definitely hated. I've heard local sports show guests state things like, "why couldn't we get a real team like Texas or OU?" or "why did we have to bring in these scrubs?".

What'll happen is that the SEC people will root for them but if they continue to fail in things like bowl games, then they'll quickly turn into the hated stepchild that is embarrassing the conference.

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Let me file this under "Don't give a f**k"

21. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

22. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

23. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

Aggy went from being mildy relevant and sometimes competitive in the big 12 to neither in the SEC.

Happy trails