Well men, here is an idea. What say you?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texex81, Feb 26, 2019.

1. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Interesting but don't like the multiple (possible) co-conference championship games and the article itself seemed too long and poorly written in many instances.

2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

The linked paper had the quality level of a junior high or high school composition student.

Too many style and grammatical errors to note, but a few early on:

1. The entire text is in capital letters. Very hard to read; it's why we have upper and lower case letters. This paper is by a Ph.D?

2. The proposal is entitled "A CONCEPT PAPER" but it is pointed out in the text below the title that it is "FINAL DRAFT." Let's see, it's a final draft, but it still doesn't have a proper descriptive title, rather just "a concept paper?"

3. It is addressed:

TO: PRESIDENT GORDON GEE, WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY AND THE FORMER PRESIDENT OF OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY FROM 1990-1997 AND 2007-2013

Who addresses someone by their current title AND by a previous title?

Also, if Gordon Gee served as "the former president" of OSU from 1990-1997 and 2007-2013, he is obviously the "former" president. I would think that since this is addressed to Gordon Gee, Mr. Gee would know what his previous experiences are. Also, typically, the definite article "the" is not used in such citations.

4. It is noted as being authored by:

FROM: JON WEFALD, PRESIDENT EMERITUS, KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY FROM 1986 TO 2009 AND A PH.D IN AMERICAN HISTORY FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AND A MA FROM WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY

Again, who authors a paper and identifies himself by both a prior position, president emeritus (proper citation), but then goes on to identify that emeritus holding as "from 1986 to 2009." My understanding is that emeritus usually has no ending date, it's forever.

And the style of date ranges now changes from that cited in the To: paragraph such as 2007-2013, now to "1986 to 2009."

Finally, Jon Wefald earned "a" MA? The indefinite articles "a" and "an" are optioned depending upon the word that follows; if the following word begins with a consonant sound the article "a" is used, e.g., "a car" (the "c" starting "car" has a "k" consonant sound), and with a vowel sound the article "an" is used, e.g., "an elephant" since elephant has a vowel sound. The following word "MA" though beginning with a consonant, begins with a vowel SOUND, that is the "M" as a letter in "MA" is pronounced as "em" which begins with a vowel sound.

At this point I stopped reading the text.

This guy earned a Ph.D?

This is not being a grammar policeman or grammar nazi. This paper is supposed to be a serious paper authored by an educated and experienced academic (Ph.D, former university president) and addressed to someone of similar background.

It's not an online posting which should be given a large amount of leeway in composition, grammar, etc., such as a one-on-one verbal informal conversation.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  3. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

The main reason I don't like the idea is we would only play Big XII and Pac 12 opponents. I like playing top dogs from the SEC, Big 10, and ACC, like we are now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts