WE'RE 7-3 AND 5-2 IN THE BIG 12!!!! AND....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by zuckercanyon, Nov 10, 2018.

1. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I don't feel like an ag-horn or horn-gie or whatever epithet anyone wishes to assign to me....

TH is now double digits in conference wins in his short tenure.....less than two seasons, took his predecessor part of three to do so....

Iowa State is a football team and we'll need our A+ game to stay in it, even in Austin....

I say we can and will.....

• Like Like x 3
  2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I appreciate the positive thoughts. Thus far, it's certainly been an interesting and dare I say entertaining season. Interesting and entertaining, but not satisfying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

This pleases me.

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We seem to play better at home than on the road. But this ISU team is not the bumbling fumbling ISU of old. We need to come out on both O and D and punch them in the face from KO to the final gun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Punch them in the face. No pun intended, based upon the BU incident, I presume

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Not taking anything for granted but if we beat Iowa state and Kansas we will finish 9-3. For me that was the ceiling this year with 8-4 more likely.

I’ll take 9-3 with a win over the land thieves and be happy .... for now

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

And all of a sudden, the Big XII title is back in the picture. I really wasn't sure we had it in us to win this game, but the team stepped up. Defensive issues are what they are, but fortunately we have the right offensive philosophy right now to help negate some of that.

Iowa State is definitely a team we SHOULD beat if we come in focused and play well, but it could get dicey in a hurry as well. Offensive is definitely going to have to bring it against a defense that's definitely in the top echelon in the league.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Getting CJ back for this game would be big. Hope he can go. Our O-line is going to be put to the test.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Montgomery being out in the 1st half will help we just have to take advantage of that and jump on them early. We can’t play catch up or tic for tac and then have the best player on the team come in with fresh legs and run all over us.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

one thing I note about the O ... we sporadically had a rushing block scheme which seemed to work ... well.

Never liked the "belly rub" blocking ... and if I were the O Line coach, guards and tackles would have their hands taped closed ... NO MORE HOLDING!

Guess I need a clinic, too ... on false start from a two point stance. Sometimes our line gets in their stance and they can all turn to face the sideline. Then sometimes our line is in their stance and one is FADING, but hands and feet are still ... and called for false start.

Overall, still impressed with Dufree and his crew. They did a great job ... but that late false start call was curious to me when the O line has all that movement in other scenarios.

Really liking Sam, Inghram, LJ, Duvernay

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

This ISU team is good. Physical, big receivers and Purdy has been very solid. Since we are at home, I think we would be favored by about 3 1/2.

12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Captain Obvious? ;)

Oh, there is much to dissect and complain about if one so chooses.
    But we beat ttech at home.
    At night.
    I'll take it.

Hoping we can get healthy before next weekend.
    Hook'em :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think this game is a tossup. isu is very well coached. They will not beat themselves. their defense is solid.

And the most frightening thing is: their freshman QB will not fumble the ball multiple times. They will take what our D gives them. Our D has been very generous of late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's not get crazy.

ISU is a solid team. They're not a rolling ball of butcher knives by any stretch. They do enough on offense and have a couple of big-play weapons, but they're not a team that can keep up offensively with Texas if we're playing at our current level. They had a pretty mediocre offensive game against Baylor, and frankly if BU scores on two drives inside the 15 yard line in the first half (they missed two chip shot FGs), that's a tight game and probably goes down to the wire. (Which is what happened when we played Baylor with our backup QB in what was probably our worst performance of the year since Tulsa.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

The To Orlano defense will make their back up look like Barry Sanders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We also swept the in-state teams for the first time since 2009

31-16 vs TCU
    23-17 vs Baylor
    41-34 vs Texas Tech

• Like Like x 8
  17. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

2009? Wow, didn’t realize that

18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

BINGO!!

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I was really glad to see Duvernay and Heard getting some calls last night. They can produce.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

They are the stars, for sure, but I've got a little chubby also for Tre Watson.

Not flashy, not a one play game changer like those noted above, just seems like he gets 1 or 2 more yards than he should, kind of shifty, maybe his experience helps in his 5th year of college ball. Just seem to think that if it's 3rd and 3, he'll get the first down. Not much more, but all that's needed.

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

TH always says we are who our record says we are, this year I don't know if that is true. Or maybe it is more true than ever before. In some games, I think we got lucky. In others it seems luck was against us.

A deeper look is that we are not very good on defense and we need to get better. I don't know if it's guys thinking they are better or if Coordinators have figured out Orlando's defense. However we are good on offense, I hate to say it, but we are 100% a Big 12 team right now.

Actually I think ISU might be the most complete team in the Big 12, they play tough defense and solid on offense. Other teams have better defenses and others have better offenses, but no one has this combination.

This is going to be a good test for Texas and our coaches. I'm looking forward to this one.

After this season, I think Texas is going to be much better moving forward, especially if we can keep either LJ, CJ or both. We have Duv who is becoming a star in his own right and the up and coming guys like Eagles, Josh Moore, and our incoming freshmen are going to be special. This might be one of those passing attacks that every team in the country will fear. We get a top Running back to go with Ingram and Sam goes from being our running game to being a conductor of a symphony of badass offensive weapons.

• Like Like x 2
  22. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Well said. We were great on D last year and the offense played poorly. I believe it’s just a lack of depth, coupled with injuries, and lack of experience this year on that side of the ball. Strong recruiting, good coaching and conditioning and our D will be legit. Future looks bright.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Can we take our choice? If so, I vote he sits out the second half, particularly the FOURTH quarter, when our defense seems to always disappear.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I love those commercials....I guess someone in a subsequent post said solid team which is where I was going....Saturday night is big....if we can win that one and then outscore KU in Lawrence....that'll be cool...

25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Right, they are not butcher knives; maybe pocket knives, or possibly corkscrews. Its hard to tell sometimes.

But the same thing goes for us much of the time. What is scary about ISU is that they don't seem to make many mistakes, don't turn it over, are well coached and disciplined.

Plus they have the best defense in the big 12 by all measures: scoring and total defense.

I think we should win. I do think it will be another nail biter. i can see this game being low scoring, sort of like ksu, or baylor or Tulsa. I don't think either team will break 40.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

and we haven't committed a turnover in 3 straight games.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. HornDawg1957

HornDawg1957 100+ Posts

I see what you did there. If this is your idea, sir, I salute you.

• Like Like x 1