We're back!!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by X Misn Tx, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

But not a championship team and not an elite team. Oklahoma is elite on offense, they are the suck on defense. If you want to beat them, the formula is just outscore them and get a couple stops on defense. I know it sounds stupid, but you are not going to shut this offense down, so you have to keep scoring and not let up, even when you are winning by 21 pts.

2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

What about a 10-Win, New Year's 6,Sugar Bowl winning team with wins over 2 Top 5 teams?

• Like Like x 4
  3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Sam agrees

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  6. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Repeating my post on a parallel thread that had Sam's clip:

Some genius posted a reply to Sam's homage to Vince's 1st Rose Bowl win postscript of "We'll be baaaaack!" with

"If being back means winning sugars bowls and not playoffs sure have fun".

Uh, the CFP championship game next year is in .... wait for it .... the Louisiana Superdome.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

This can either be 1990 or 2004.

In 1990 the team won ten games everyone said Texas was back, hell they even wrote a book about it that is a great read (Bleeding Orange) but that Horns team which was also senior dominated overachieved and Texas regressed in 1991. Big difference from '90 is that team got mauled in its bowl game. This could also be 2004 when the Horns finally got over the hump won a BCS bowl and spring boarded to a national championship, but before 2004 though the Horns had won 10 games 3 straight seasons so 2004 wasnt a jump up and shock you kind of year that team had been building to it for 6 years with 9 or more wins. I guess my point is one season doesnt mean Texas is back but it can be a huge step in right direction, win the Big XII, play in a CFP, consistently win ten games or more a season and then Texas will be back to where it was in the latest glory period from '01 to '09 or the more distant glory days of the sixties and early seventies.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

No one likes you.

Well, except me. Good post.

• Like Like x 2
  9. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I like Tom's postgame statement - "We're headed in the right direction." We need to see another year in order to see how Tom's recruits do in competition, as well as watching to see how the staff continues to recruit. I do like the emphasis on physicality - IMO, top-notch talent (recruiting success), proper technique (coaching), and physicality (dedication and attitude) are all necessary; once the "culture" is solidly based in those three attributes, then we can say "We're back."

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Great performance in all phases of the game. Wish our defense played that way more often this year, although it's easier to defend against a less mobile quarterback. In the big 12 title game you could see how difficult it is to defend the whole field against somebody like Kyler. Last night we mixed up the coverages and blitzes well which was missing during the season. We showed that the sec is overrated once again with only Alabama. The aggies love to ride somebody's coattails. UT almost always plays up for the big games and when disrespected so not surprised by this outcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Also, outside of Clemson and Alabama no one can really claim to be winning CFP games.

If that is a Bama or Clemson fan ****-talking, well .... touche

12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

We beat three national bigboys this year. I know, I know USC turned out to be a used condom, but they were still a marquee team. BlowU and the fat little lapdogs last night. A healthy Sam and we beat blow U a second time for the trophy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

When we were "Mack back" we were still a little behind h2h and for conference titles.

Sounds like we all have different definitions of what "back" is...

For me, it's regular 10-win seasons with the sometimes shot at a natty (when the right Vince types come through).

No one has been close to Alabama the last 15 years. Clemson has been close lately.

14. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Can we laugh at me for a sec?

Lol what a tool I was! Just wishful thinking, I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  15. horninchicago

Wow, you went back 2 years to beat yourself up. Let us do that next time.

:fiestanana:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Cmon... Who else remembers a post from 2 years ago where the OP says how awesome we are?

The question could be rephrased... Who else has two opposable thumbs and is creating this reply?

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was right with you at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Wow, old thread.

My question is where the hell has @Austin_Bill been?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. horninchicago

Permanent ticket to Banned Camp, pretty sure. I'm not far behind him. I'll say hello when I get there.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. WorsterMan

Wow, he got banned camp or on HF double secret probation!?

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. horninchicago

Banned quite a while back, I think. Perma ban.

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

Such an old thread with some very sad memories.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. WorsterMan

You made yourself a laughing stalk by bringing this up!

I'm sure it probably didn't sit well with HIC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

25. WorsterMan

"I recall sitting on my patio, cigar in my left hand- crown and water in my right hand (and I rarely if ever drink) saying the same thing... finally we are back."

Yup, I too recall shortly after the GA bowl win - with no cigar or Crown (wish I had both at the time), saying something similar to myself:

By gawd I think we're BACK !! :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for commiserating. lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I took the cheese after the GA bowl win just like a lot of folks did.

If it makes you feel any better....

I was still in the restaurant industry and working at a prime steakhouse in Austin when Mack won the 2005 NCG. A couple of days after the game he came in with Sally, Mad Dog, and some of their friends to celebrate. I remember when Mack walked in the door and I thought to myself, "I'll be damned you did it, Mack. You'll never have to prove a thing again.". Boy was I wrong

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Whatever happened to ole Freak Nasty?

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

PM me if you want some possible insight.

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ol' Austin Bill was always mild, soft spoken, and understated. It was often difficult to figure out just where he stood on things...

• Funny Funny x 1