We're not improving

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Detective Shilala, Nov 12, 2017.

1. LongChuckles

LongChuckles 25+ Posts

This team will finish at least 7-6 and with a little luck 8-5. That is 2-3 wins better.

2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

So, you think we beat both WVA and TT? And possibly win a bowl game?
    I hope you're right.
    But you have more faith than me at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I think this is an over-reaction. I remember hearing similar talk about if Mackovic fails, we'll never be a program again. Similar predictions about bama never being relevant again during the Shula years after Franchione left them for aggy. Can you imagine THAT embarrassment - being a stepping stone to aggy!

• Like Like x 3
  4. uisge beatha

May be thinking winning one of the two remaining and a minor bowl, possibly winning out. Not something I'm expecting.

5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

If we manage to beat wvu and ttu it will be the first time since 2014 that this team wins 3 games in a row (when we beat ttu wvu and osu in that order)

winning 3 in a row would be nice for a change. I'd say it would be really meaningful and a dign we turned a corner but we I am tired of saying that and all know how it went for that 2014 squad after that

• Like Like x 2
  6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

For me, this season has been like i was drunk on the the Titan rollercoaster at Six Flags from game 1.

I predicted a loss to The Boys With a Pretty Mouth on Sat. and will predict a vicktree over Tech next week...i make no predictions beyond that.

I'm so conflicted with this team and new HC.:facepalm:

• Like Like x 3
  7. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This team could win the next two. This team could lose the next two just as easily. This team could certainly win one and lose one.

None of the above would surprise me. This situation is similar to chaos. Extreme unpredictability is a source of anxiety in homo sapiens (this includes most on this board :smile1:) and that is often a precursor to acting out in destructive ways.

So this is far warning to women and children. Be careful, cautious and wary the next two Saturdays around all Horn fans. Anything, and I mean anything, could happen. :yikes: :facepalm: :tap: :beertoast: :argue:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

well our record could have been something like 7-3 if TH hadn't made some inexperienced ridiculous decisions. Hell we might have beaten OSU if Shane would have been in there after Sam became concussed. We are just an eyelash from being 8-2 thanks to Orlando's defense. That's a significant improvement over the previous 3 years. Now if we could get some real beef up front, a 5 star and a 4 star from the latest recruiting interests which seems to be happening and throw in a good juco we might be really good next year. And we've got young ones who are getting some good experience. We are certainly recruiting good DBs and WRs and a serviceable if not a good kicker. Now I would prefer a different OC but that is not going to happen.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Detective Shilala

Sounds not too different from the last three years actually. A lot of "if only"s.

If only the refs had not given OSU the ball game. If only Watson's game plan was one tenth as good as the defensive game plan. If only we had some OLs. If only we had not had two extra points and a field goal blocked.

In short, if only our pants wouldn't fall down every time we get our shirt buttoned up.

Next verse, same as the last.

• Like Like x 4
  10. uisge beatha

Yeah, if if and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas. Sounds a lot like last year but flip the D and O.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

If Texas plays like it did against Kansas, we'll go 0-2 over the next two games. Personally I don't think that will happen. 1-1 is a more likely outcome. As previous posters have mentioned, this team could win both, split, or lose both. Roll the dice.

• Like Like x 2
  12. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

:smokin:
    I'll loan you suspenders if that makes you feel better Detective.

Try to think positive, it's only Tuesday. We get Williams back and maybe Locke, I'm not sure. We rested Sam and he is ready for WV. So is Shane if we need him but I bet you Sam starts. It's a new game on Saturday, time to go 1-0! If TH can pull out 2-0 these last two games this will be an improved season over the last three. Even if he goes 6-6 it is a little improvement. I am just trying to pump some sunshine.

• Like Like x 2
  13. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

We have improved. You only have to compare this year's Kansas game to last year's Kansas game.

I can see us winning the last two games and a bowl game.

14. Detective Shilala

Meh.

No one gives a **** about Kansas (until you lose to them). The team I saw beat Kansas on Saturday was not very good at all. And this coaching staff was preparing the team instead of sending out resumes the week prior. If the Kansas game is the difference maker, aint much of a difference...

I hope you're right about the next two games but I bet we split them. This team has not strung more than 2 wins in a row together in 3 years. And I don't see this year's revision being any different in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

There is at least some truth to all the takes here and all the sides. There was a mess but there have also been coaching failures. There have been injuries, but there also has also been a lack of adjustments. There has been improvement in some areas and regression in others. Overall, at 5-5, we seem to be in the same place we have been since 2014. All we can do is see how the last games play out.
    5-7 or 6-7 = same mediocrity
    7-6 = absolute minimum improvement required to declare improvement (though I would not call it satisfactory improvement)
    8-5 = hitting the minimum for me personally to declare “satisfactory impovement” year 1.
    8-5 is still obtainable, but it seems unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Not a prediction because with this team... :idk:. But, against WV and TT, I can see us going 0-2 in W&L's but 2-0 in If-Only's.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

If this team finishes 0-2 in the last two games to finish 5-7 and no bowl.... there will be great gnashing of teeth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Only scoreboard matters, but these stats (except for TO) are alarming...

Total Yards
    KU 365
    Texas 371

1st Downs
    KU 19
    Texas 18

Time of Possession
    KU 30:23
    Texas 29:37

Turnovers
    KU 4
    Texas 2

• Like Like x 4
  19. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I see either 2-0 or 0-2, not 1-1. If we lose to the hillbillies we probably lose to sand aggy. Find a way to beat in-bred U and we can find a way to beat the tortilla chunkers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Why would you think that? From what I've seen WV is definitely better than Tech.

• Like Like x 1
  21. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Attitude. Not based on ability of opponents but mindset of our guys. Mind you I hope I'm wrong if we lose to WV and I'll gladly eat that crow.

22. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

UT offensive numbers are poor, but are not alarming. Looking at KU season stats, they give up 449 y/game and 21 first downs. We are below average, but we know that. The time of possession illustrates that KU had a number of sustained drives and kept our O off of the field. The short drives for our offense also played into this number. But considering everything, I am not alarmed.

Our defensive numbers were below average for KU. KU averages 355 y/gm and 17 first downs. So our defensive numbers look poor also. But consider than KU was far behind for the entire game and was running risky plays (for their offense). Also KU had 3 interceptions. When you take this into consideration, the defensive numbers are not so bad. I am not alarmed about the D either.

I remain concerned about this team. But when you consider the previous three years were losing seasons and the parade of coordinators and coaches during the last 5 years, I am not yet pushing the panic button.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and destroying TV's upon realizing Texas paid an extra million plus to finish exactly where they have finished the last two seasons.

• Like Like x 2
  24. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That assumes that the only reason we'd lose to WVa is attitude. We might lose because they just outplay us in a tough road environment, which has nothing to do with whether we can outplay a Tech team that's not as good, in the peaceful and serene confines of our own stadium. So far, they've shown no signs of quitting after a loss, so I don't see that happening if we lose to WVa.

25. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Help is on the way. The number of early enrollees from the #2 recruiting class in the nation is staggering and will be here in January.

Saban was 7-6,his first year at Bama. I don't care about records or stats per se in year 1.

The future has a different vibe from last year. I am feeling it.
    That's my $.02

• Like Like x 6
  26. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Perhaps I drink too much orange Kool Aid, but I see an incredible amount of improvement. When your FG kicker is awful, I fail to see the horrible coaching decisions of going for it on 4th down. I wish someone could explain how missing a FG or having it blocked is better than going for it on 4th down (Go ahead and kill me TH haters, but you will never convince me that trying a FG with our kickers is a good decision). The team lost D'onta Foreman! I would love to see this team with Foreman. Does anyone think that any of the current skill position players will be drafted? Perhaps Carter... The team lost its best lineman in the third game of the season... So easily the best 2 offensive players from last year are gone or played very little. I think last years offense was slightly better (slightly!), but there is no comparing this years defense to last years defense. Again perhaps I drink too much orange Kool Aid, but I easily see at least 2 of the highly recruited WRs starting next year and I hope one is a game changer. If I am right, this team wins 10 games next year. This offense desperately needs a skill position player that other teams fear.

• Like Like x 5
  27. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Our defense is vastly improved. Just compare the points allowed from common opponents (2017 number 1st; 2016 number 2nd):
    Okie State: 13; 49
    Baylor: 7; 34
    OU: 29; 45
    TCU: 24; 31
    Iowa State: 7; 6
    K-State: 34; 24
    Kansas: 27; 24
    We were 2-5 against these teams last year; 4-3 against these teams this year.
    I think we'll lose a close one to WVA, destroy Tech in Austin, and then kill someone in a minor bowl game. That's not our standard, but definitely a step up from last year.

28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I see some improvement, not a ton. The team still doesn't know how to close a big win. Reference, usc, osu, ou. This may be due to poor in game decisions by the coaches though.

The defense is definitely better.

We have two games left and I think both will be very tough. I think we can beat ttu. wvu will be a very interesting game, if we can score some points. At least 30. wvu has the # 3 QB in the nation and will score at least 30 (especially since we lost Hill).

I don't see us "destroying" either of them. Who have we destroyed other than sjsu? Baylor? ok, I can see that as a beat down. But it was BU. TTU is not BU.

Which bowl eligible team do we "kill," should we get bowl eligible? Maybe I'm missing something...

29. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Texas looks like a young inexperienced team with a first year head coach. TH will recruit skill position players that are impact players as freshman/sophomores. The defense will improve next year as long as we keep TO. I think 7-6 is somewhat likely for this team which is not bad. Next year Texas will take a bigger leap. 9-4 maybe 10-3. TH is building a foundation. Remember Mack got Ricky back for his senior season in his first year. TH lost D'Onta for his senior season. If D'Onta had stayed Texas would have gone 8-5 or 9-4 this year. We need to chill, TH is a very good coach. We are better than last year. If we close this season out on a high note, everything is set up for great recruiting and a much improved 2018 season.

All I remember TH promising before this season started is that we would be in every game due to our fight and drive.....and defense. He delivered on that promise and was the first to say, there are no moral victories in Football.

30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Did everyone see the Dallas Cowboys line go to crap when Chaz Green replaced an all pro left tackle, and their RB quality dropped? No 3 point stance, blah blah lace em up, blah blah next one up is going to help.

I couldn't believe how bad they looked. But then I remembered some threads on here.

• Like Like x 4