We're not improving

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Detective Shilala, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

You've missed the point X Misn Tx.....University of Texas football and Tom Herman are the only ones held to that standard...Not an NFL team.

Even the "baffling, dumbfound and questionable calls" Garrett makes are ok.

2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Some of us don't give a **** about the Cowboys.
    This isn't a Cowboy message board.
    I don't know what they do.

But I watch every Horn game and suck up any information on the Horns I come across.
    I wait impatiently all offseason for Spring practice and the Spring game.
    I diligently follow recruiting until then.
    The first game of the season is always to far away.
    I care about the Longhorns and therefore critique what I see on the field.

I can't care less about the Cowboys.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Well dang...I see an advertisement from StubHub for the the Eagles @ Cowboys game on here right now.

They need to take that **** down now!!

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

As long as the Cowboys and stubb hub are paying Hornfans for the advertising, more power to them. Advertisers on Hornfans help pay the bills.

Support hornfans, become a sponsor!!

• Like Like x 5
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I am concerned about the defense the next two games because we face the # 2 and #3 Passing offenses in the B12 (behind only ou). Our defense is not as good now as it was when we had Holton Hill shutting down one side of the field every play. The drop off in our coverage is significant. Its simply a matter of personnel.

wvu poses a real problem, they are much better than ttu. I hope my take is dead wrong. But my eye balls see what they see. And my brain tells me the match ups this weekend favor wvu; whereas we will have more favorable match ups at ttu--still challenging, but doable vs. ttu.

• Like Like x 2
  6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

What does a Stubb Hub advertisement have to do with anything?

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Most coaches that start 7-6 do not turn out to be Nick Saban.

If we play a lowly Pac12 team in the Cactus Bowl or a bad SEC East team in the Texas or Liberty Bowls, we could possibly kill them. Yes, there are potentially killable bowl eligible teams depending in our matchup.

I do believe Foreman made our offense a lot better last year than it really was. This is not a Tim Beck or coaching defense, but that was a huge loss. Long term, I like Carter and Young to fill this hole in our offense.

I also agree we have been in every game so far. Ultimately it is about wins and losses, but no 20 point blowout losses so far is one positive sign for the coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

:bow: Damn Moondog, I do not think I have ever agreed with you so much about anything before. +1

Our offense should score at least 20 against both Tech’s and WVU’s bad defenses. The problem, as cary already stated, is without Hill our defensive secondary is not great. Davante Davis starting again is no bueno. This hole in our defense will be major trouble for us.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I didn't say things got better. David Carr led the league in getting sacked and when his back up came in the number of sacks dropped by a lot per game. I can't remember who the back up was at that time, but he just got rid of the ball faster. If he completed a high percentage I don't remember. I just recalled seeing the stats put up on the screen the comparison's between the two QBs and the sacks per game total stood out to me.

10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. But Tom Herman is not like most coaches imo.

Besides Saban, in their first year at their legendary schools, DKR 6-4-1, Pete Carroll 6-6, Bob Stoops 7-5, Bobby Bowden 5-6, Bear Bryant 5-4-1, Frank Broyles 4-6, Hayden Fry 5-6, Woody Hayes 4-3-2, Lou Holtz 5-6

#First year records do not matter.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  11. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Very , very true Badass.. He is a 15-20 year coach here at The University.

Since I saw XmisnTx post and the Eagles @ Cowboys game advertised here it reminded me; look at Tom Landrys or Jimmy Johnsons record their first year at Dallas. And those guys wound up being coaching royalty and winning multiple titles.

Great post.

• Like Like x 1
  12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

You did see the Kansas game right? One would think that any bowl eligible team coming from the Pac is better than Kansas. Significantly better. And we were far from killing KU.

I'm hoping to see the Horns blow out a team that has more than two wins. haven't seen that yet. It could happen. I'll believe the killin' when I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

We jumped out to a 35 to 7 score at the end of the 1st quarter. But this team doesn't have that killer instinct. We had our foot on their neck and let them back up. Hopefully as the team matures we will keep our foot down.

• Like Like x 1
  14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I was giddy when we were up 35-7. I was shocked that it was 35-17 at the half. And then the game tightened as the 2nd half unwound. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  15. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Agree with Moondog about the Cowboys, great post.

I opine the best point made on improvement is Htown - NOT ONE 20 point blowout.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I think that Cowboys post pointed out something good though.........If any team loses one or more of their top O-Linemen the whole offense looks worst. Every position. An offense aint going very far without a good or great offensive line no matter the coach, scheme, skill position players.

• Like Like x 1
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Ok, ok, I'll critique the ******* Cowboys.
    Obviously the replacement O-lineman was over-matched by a great D-End.
    Why did they not adjust?
    As I recall, they didn't once give the O-lineman any help.
    No TE or RB or fullback to double team or at least chip at the DE.
    They just sat back and watched Dak get pulverized.
    It's not like there aren't things you can do to adjust, be it it personnel, scheme or play calling.
    And I bet you see some adjustments this Sunday.

That's my beef with the Horns offense.
    No creativity.
    "Our O-line is bad so we can't run or pass protect...blah, blah, wah".
    Why do we even leave the locker room then?
    DO SOMETHING!!
    Pull some guards, move the pocket, bring in a fullback, change the scheme up, when it is working don't abandon it.
    It's to late now so f**k it.
    Even Herman is starting to talk about how good we are going to be next year.
    I really hope so.
    And I like most everything Herman has brought to the 40 acres.
    But Beck will have to show me a lot next year.

18. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I am not a Cowboys fan lately, I am not an NFL fan period. I just thought pulling guards was mentioned by others as too complex for this O-Line to try to pull off. You need experience and confidence in the players to do that. Herman/Beck are leaving two TE's to block on third downs to help both the R and L Guard. That is extremely unusual. Again, I was a DB so someone with O-Line experience should say more.....my wheelhouse is more on the defensive side. Although I love to watch offense. I have seen Herman/Beck move the pocket and role out especially when Sam is in there. IMHO, Sam is better suited for this offense and O-Line due to his mobility. Maybe they need to teach him to slide. Not in his mental make up though. I would have loved to see Heard run the option some as a change up. I think coaches don't like to change their schemes too drastically in mid season. Must be a coaching pride thing, I don't know.

I hope next year the new O-Linemen and TE's will be able to contribute and there will be improvement. Likely this offense is at least two years away from being championship quality.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Tom Landry? How is an expansion team relevant?

• Like Like x 1
  20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

lol y'all are asshats for pooping on my Cowboys example.

the Longhorns aren't unique in performing at a much lower level when you are playing with real OL deficits and no difference maker at RB.

• Like Like x 3
  21. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm not saying things will get fixed this Saturday, but I feel like you're going to see a much better effort than you saw after we got up 35-7 on a team we should have crushed. I don't think we need to look at that game as an example of us "bringing our A game."

22. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

The TCU Game was not nearly as close as 24 - 7 indicates. Once we were down by 2 scores that game was OVER.
    Yes that may be the only thing like a blow out this season, but to the point of my original post, this team peaked a long time ago. We're not seeing any improvement from week 3 when we looked like contenders against USC and at this point our offense is degraded to an embarrassment.

Bake the damned cake already TH! We've been waiting years for some GD cake around here!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

OK shenanae everything is going to be alright. You can cry in your beer. Tomorrow may be better.

24. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I disagree it was over in the second quarter. When we scored in the 3rd Quarter to pull within 17-7, we were just one big play away from getting back into the game. Those big plays have been few and far between this year, but they have happened.

The big difference between this year and last year is we don't quit. It would be nice if we scored occasionally. But at least the effort is there. Sooner or later, that continuous effort will pay off.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Why do you want some of Greg Davis' retirement cake? Let the poor man alone!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We didn't have any blowouts last year other than maybe TCU (22 points, but I don't tend to call games blowouts when there is a margin of only one score going into the 4th).

• Like Like x 1
  28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It is an arbitrary standard, but my standard I picked years ago was 20 point losses or more. Obviously, what constitutes a "blowout" is subjective. We did not lose by 20 so I do not count it, but were we in the Okie State game last year? Not really.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  29. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i agree with you on the scoreboard. being at the game, it felt like a huge beatdown the whole game. still, not a blow out.

30. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I called it and I will stick to it. We will beat sand aggy.

• Like Like x 1