West Virginia Next for Big-12?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Santafe, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

Let me google that for you, aggy

Daddy Dodds will just tell the Domers to disband their lacrosse teams, and that will be the end of it. Any more questions.

2. aggressor

aggressor 100+ Posts

Props on the LMGTFY link.

They still play Lacrosse in the Big East though. They just built a new stadium and finished 2nd at the NCAA's in 2010.

3. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

If you think something like lacrosse is going to be a deal-breaker here, then I really don't know what else to say to you. If I can find a solution in two minutes, then I'm sure the bigwigs can figure it out as well,.

I'm going to go eat my beef & broccoli now. Have a nice day.
    [​IMG]

4. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know if VW allows partial qualifiers currently?

5. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I think there is a list out there with:

BYU
    Notre Dame
    San Diego State
    Fresno State
    Florida State
    Miami
    Clemson
    Georgia Tech
    Houston
    Florida Directional schools
    West Virginia
    Rutgers
    Virginia Tech
    Virginia
    Louisiville
    Memphis
    Boston College
    UNLV
    Nevada
    New Mexico

I think these are all schools maybe even more no matter the chance should be on the list of consideration.

6. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

7. Horns_in_Space

Horns_in_Space < 25 Posts

I for one will be glad to see WVU join so we can see some Horns on the East Coast. Washington DC to Morgantown is about the same distance as Houston to Dallas.

8. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

That New York Post article cited above by SportICT has this interesting tidbit:

9. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

This Notre Dame non-football sports idea just might happen. There is a report that Texas is hot and heavy to play Notre Dame every year, apparently on Thanksgiving. (This would also serve as the ultimate yearly parting shot at A&M.) Then add Brigham Young as a football-only member to counter Notre Dame.

If the Big 12 wanted to add one more school, say Louisville, along with the quality addition of West Virginia, the league could then try to get the BYU/Notre Dame partnership for No. 12.

Look, a batch of Notre Dame games, two or three a year on the road at Big 12 schools, would greatly enhance the Big 12 television package when it comes up for bid.

With the Big East teetering, Notre Dame has to get serious about where its athletic teams will land. The Big Ten and the ACC have been adamant that Notre Dame has to be all in to be any in. For now, the Irish want to maintain a semblance of football independence. The Big 12 has made it clear to Notre Dame that joining the Big 12 as a non-football member is not a problem.

10. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

ND for all but football. BYU for nothing but football.

Huh. Hadn't thought of that. Is there any suggestion out there for BYU as football-only? It would also solve BYU's religious issue of not playing on Sunday.

We'd get two teams for the price of one, plus BYU wouldn't need a so-called "regional partner," wherein the pickin's are slim out in the west.

Great idea.

11. jdelatorre

jdelatorre 500+ Posts

WVU to B2 hits snag. Louisville in play? ND asks Texas to tap brakes on beast decapitation? Mizzou has a change of heart?
    el linko

12. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Well, you just proved why Aggy screwed itself. UT parents will miss ONE home game in WVU during the college career of their boy. Aggies will get screwed nearly every other weekend with the travel. If you have never driven that part of the country, you are in for a rude awakening.

13. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I would assume it would Stay in 2 divisions, but I hadn't really thought about it.

14. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

When did THAT change? I hadn't been paying attention. You can't play 9 conference games this year can you?

15. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Although BYU is currently a non-football member of the West Coast Conference (WCC), BYU has started talking to a couple of conferences, the Big East and Big 12, about joining as a football-only member.

The Big East would like to expand to 12 members in two divisions (West Division with BYU, Boise State, Air Force, SMU, Houston and Louisville; East Division with Cincinnati, West Virginia, Rutgers UConn, USF and UCF), but obviously all of this is dependent on West Virginia and Louisville remaining in the Big East.

By expanding to 12 football-playing members, the Big East would conceptually retain their status as an AQ BCS conference and BYU would have the coveted access to BCS games while still maintaining their Olympic sport relationship with the WCC.

This best-of-both-worlds scenario is even better for the Big 12 when you think about it: additional TV draw with BYU and its huge alumni base, coupled with the scheduling of a few Big 12 football games with Notre Dame. (The fact that the Big East is courting BYU may prompt the Big 12 to make concessions they until now may not have been ready to make.)

When Missouri leaves for the SEC, the Big 12 again falls to 10 schools even with the addition of TCU and West Virginia. TCU will begin play in 2012, but the Big 12 will only have nine football playing members until 2014--unless West Virginia can break the 27-month rule. Does anyone think the Big 12's TV partners are going to happy with that?

Thus, if the Big 12 needs an immediate replacement to play in the 2012 and 2013 seasons, BYU becomes a very attractive partner and concessions may be made to accommodate their unique needs. And being admitted as a football-only member would eliminate the Sunday Rule which the TV networks have a big issue.

16. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

I think everything is on hold because we want to stop at 10. Let UL and WVU duke it out and "present" while the conference works out the ND in non-footy and BYU in in footy. We then have our 10 and can say "sorry" to both WVU and UL.

17. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

As an aside, it's really nice to have bbs conversations like this one has been without all the smack-talking.

18. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

The 27-month rule is a problem that applies to West Virginia or Louisville. So it doesn't matter which one the Big 12 selects. Hopefully, the 27 months can be reduced via negotiation (and or increased payment).

19. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

The 27 month rule also applies to Pitt and SYR to the ACC so it is a big issue to Big East going forward. ACC has already said they are willing to wait 27 months for # 13 & 14 so WVU &/or LOU have a harder road for exit earlier than 27 months.

27 months from Nov 2011 is Jan 2014.

B12 needs a 10th team for 2012 and 2013 so Mizzo departure could open the door for BYU now.

20. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Worthless Senators getting involved with this. What does this have to do with Congress?

21. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Lville over WVU would absolutely suck. [​IMG]

22. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Mcconnell is turtle faced piece of crap. He needs to step aside

23. Fire Tunnel

Fire Tunnel 100+ Posts

Deloss wants the B2 to stay at 10, because ND will be making it the B3 in about 2-3 more years when they add football to the conference. Going to 11 screws things up a bit for scheduling and kinda forces you to add #12 before ND is ready to hop on board. Thus, its cannot be both L'ville and WV. Mo is gone unless they wake up and realize that a conference with ND, Texas and OU would create be the biggest TV draw in the country. In that case, LV and WV are both left at the altar. Aggy was not informed and Deloss had no intention of letting them know the grand plan.

24. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

If both West Virginia and Louisville eventually get into the Big 12, those two schools will have an even bigger hatred for each other because of this ridiculous "political" intervention.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

26. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Two true ironies. My godson (1st irony is that I am an atheist) went to Louisville on a football scholarship and has now (2nd irony) transferred to SMU.

27. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

If I am ND; i'd rather join the ACC and then the B1G 100 times before I even look at any other conference.

ND would have already parked its non-Footy sports in the ACC or the B1G if said conferences had let them.

28. Fire Tunnel

Fire Tunnel 100+ Posts

ND has always been a part of the plan. Deloss would not reveal all he knew before aggy moved on. He has wanted to replace aggy with ND all along and has done all he could to piss them off so they would want to leave. Now more details are coming out.

ericaggy, your day is done here. Go harass whoever your new rival is in the SEC, while singing about us. That is, of course, if anybody even wants to be your rival now. Honestly, I don't think anybody really wants you anymore, we certainly do not. You are now the SECs $2 ***** for the TV market and inroads into recruiting in Texas. Congratulations. Enjoy another Bowl game loss this year, it may be your last bowl game for a long time.

29. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

Don't worry HornsForever'93, this **** is about to get really good! Both West Virginia senators are getting ready to put on a fight for the last ticket out of the Big East.
    [​IMG]

Link

30. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias