West Virginia

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by everette, Dec 28, 2018.

1. everette

everette 250+ Posts

no Will Greer

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That was one heck of a dirty hit by Robinson of West Virginia earlier, he deserved the ejection he got for it. Still can't believe WVU is keeping this close without Grier. Syracuse just isn't that good of a team. ACC is pretty down this year, it's basically Clemson and the 11 dwarves.

3. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Good, close game. End of 3 Qtrs.

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I think we can put this one down as a W next year. Good grief this QB is just terrible. The last pic he had an easy 5 yd run on 1st down and instead throws high for the pic. Guy has been making bad decisions and staring down receivers all game.

5. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Dana is a f- - king idiot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Way to let your team down Will. You lost to Syracuse :clap:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I hope that cocky POS is happy and hope his sitting out dropped him at least two rounds in the draft.
    Wonder if he was throwing "Horns down" during that loss.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

The NFL doesn't care.
    It will not affect his draft position at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

This. NFL only cares how his arm preforms at the combine.

10. 2003TexasGrad

His jerking off grade should be off the chart.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Whi
    While that may be true, I just can’t get over these selfish, “it’s only about me” players. I can only imagine how some of the WVU seniors — those who struggle to get on the field, those who have dreamed all their lives of playing college football and who will never get a whiff of the NFL, those who are thrilled just to play in a bowl game — I wonder how they fell. “Oh, we love Will and support his decision.” BULLCORN.

This kind of stuff is pathetic. I hope some coach with cajones (if there are any) will one day soon step up and call out these selfish players for what they are. It needs to be done.

Lead, don’t follow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This was the deciding factor in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Greer has a wife and kid.
    If he has a career ending leg/neck fracture he's screwed.
    If you had already graduated with a 4.0 GPA would you take your finals again just because the rest of your class had not graduated yet and risk lowering your GPA?
    Yea, some players are using football to get an education and will never sniff the NFL.
    But if my kid is a high first round draft pick that can make the kind of money that can change his and his families life for generations to come?
    Get the hell out of dodge and get paid boy!
    And I'll bet his teammates are a lot more understanding than you could imagine.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Understand Moondog, but he should have taken out an insurance policy that would have paid him a few million if he is injured. Unless he makes it onto an NFL 50 man roster for 5 years the insurance policy will pay him more than he would make in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Last years top 5 QB picks signed for about $30m and up.
    I've never seen any insurance paying that much.

16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Hey coaches!
    Maybe you need to make sure you coach up your backups. :)

17. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So you need $30 mil to support a wife and kid? Even if greer had no future in the NFL I'm sure there's plenty of things he could do that pay a lot better than the average college grad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

That's not the point. 2M vs 30M is a huge difference. 30M and you can take care of yourself and your family. Can do a lot for charity as well. After the Jaylin Smith injury, you gotta really consider your bowl. Personally I think I'd play, but I understand not playing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

As our dad told my brother and I many times: : "You guys sure can come up with a lot ways to spend my money". Not sure what I'd do.

20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

As I said before, that kind of money can change your families fortunes for generations to come.
    It's not just about feeding your family at this moment.

21. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

With all the effort that NFL teams put into vetting their high round draft picks, I find it hard to believe that a quitter would get a free pass. But obviously I'm not an executive or a coach. That's what these bowl skippers are, quitters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Him driving a car until the contract signed is more risky than a career-ending injury in a Bowl game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. 2003TexasGrad

So had WV made the playoff he would have skipped to protect his draft status right? Nah didn't think so. Its ego pure and simple.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

context is important, one is a playoff game the other is a bowl game.

BTW a $30mm contract is not $30mm in the bank. Taxes, Agent expenses, other expenses all add up. Taxes alone might be 40+% between federal, state and city taxes that he would have to file in each city that he plays in. Each of those jurisdictions have their hand out looking for $$$$.

25. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

There's a difference in the playoffs and a level 3 bowl game. Look all of life you make risk/reward decisions. From jobs you take, to risky adventures, etc... Some guys will jump off cliffs with wing suites. No way in hell I would do that. I left IBM not once but 2x in my career for smaller riskier jobs that greatly enhanced my overall career but most would just stay with the steady job. Now IBMs a train wreck and I work for a great company. But I had to be willing to take those risks. Everyone's personality is different.

He deemed the risk higher than the reward. Maybe you would make a different decision. I think I'd play, but I'm not going to call a dude a quitter just because he decides the reward doesn't justify the risk. It's his decision not yours or mine. As a fan we get to decide how we spend our money. Personally I'm not spending a dime on these tier 3 bowl games. Getting a NY6 or CFP bowl is different, but the rest are just extra practice for the teams.

26. 2003TexasGrad

Again it's not about injury because you could have a career ending injury in the playoff game too. It IS ego for the reasons you guys are giving. Playing in the Weedeater bowl isnt good enough to risk injury but a playoff game is. So it's ok to let your team down because the game isn't big enough.

Sorry but its still letting your team and university down. If injury to protect draft status is the real reason then it doesnt matter which bowl game it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I wonder if schools are considering scholarship terms that would require players to participate in all games, regardless of NFL draft considerations.

I can see both sides of the argument, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we started seeing some push back from athletic departments on this. If you’re getting a free ride to play ball—which clearly enhances your status as a marketable NFL player—then maybe you should be required to participate all the way through.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. 2003TexasGrad

Right. People talk about not expanding the playoffs because it delegitimizes the bowl games. Heck, players are already disrespecting the bowls BECAUSE they aren't in the playoffs. They are willing to risk career ending injury if it's a playoff game, but not any other bowl game.

Georgia's best DB is sitting out the freaking Sugar Bowl. This is one of the biggest bowls. But hes not willing to play just to protect his draft stock. Sorry, it's a joke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  29. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I guess my issue is where is the line drawn? Why is the bowl game more risky than the last game of the season? Or the last two?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Maybe it's just a function of the injury risks of a 13 game season over a 12 game season.