What a Difference...

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Feb 1, 2008.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

...a year makes. I was in Waco for the game Wednesday and I was so proud of the team. In many ways, I think it was the most important game of the season so far. They came within one point--and one unguarded three-point shot--of beating one of the best teams in the country on its home court. No one is in to moral victories but this one is worth remembering. Baylor was out-coached, out-hustled and out-rebounded. The crowd was surprisingly subdued as it left the arena Wednesday, relieved they escaped with a victory and frankly a little worried, I think, about what they're up against from now on when the play Texas. Texas is back (almost) and it's really fun to witness. I'm looking for an upset Sunday. Ya think o.u. is worried? [​IMG]

2. Driftwood

Driftwood 250+ Posts

While I love the effort from Texas at end game. I think we were outcoached and outplayed by Baylor at end game. Texas led for the first time in the game 60-58 due to a lay up by Ash. Kim called a time out and ran a wonderful screen to get her open shooter. Score BU 61, Texas 60. G called a time out with 10 seconds left. PLenty of time to shoot and win the game. Texas failed to get a shot off. Looking forward to having them back in Austin.

3. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

4. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

Every coach gets outcoahced occasionally. However, this was not one of those times. Coach G was brilliant in this game. The days of us getting outcoached are no more.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kat had a very good look on the last shot but another defender (not hers) made a great play to block the shot, then the ball hits Raven's leg and goes out of bounds. I fail to see any outcoaching there. It was a great gameplan with a lack of hitting FTs at the season average leading to the loss. Once again, nothing to put on the coaching staff, or Coach G's.

6. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

baylor had an experienced senior leader to go to in the waning moments of the game. to kim mulkey's credit, she gave her the ball and the senior executed. we had to depend on mostly freshmen and sophomores who weren't able to do the same. i question the sports IQ of anyone who equates that to being outcoached.

further, it was an extremely intelligent strategy by the texas staff to stun baylor with that full court press after we tied the score at 58 -- which resulted in an immediate steal off the inbounds play and a lay-up that gave us the 60-58 lead.

7. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

8. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Coach G put us at the line when we needed to be there, but we couldn't make the basket. She got us to a lead with 30 secs left and then got us in position to have the last possesion, but we turned it over. She coached us to a win but the players couldn't quite deliver...but they will get better and they will deliver. The one that got out-coached was the baldy dressed blonde whose #6 team almost got upset on their home court. Baylor was shocked... I was there. Those fans were pretty sure this one had gotten away and by end of game they remained shocked. [​IMG]

9. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I was at the game as well. The Baylor fans were sweating and wiping their foreheads like, "Whew, we almost lost that one." You could also tell they recognized Coach G is serious about bringing Texas back to the top. It was kind of like watching them realize an epiphany - a ding, ding, ding - lightbulb moment. Coach G is in it to win it.

10. mulkeyway

mulkeyway 25+ Posts

I think all BU fans realize that Gail is a great coach. Texas did a nice job of driving to the basket and kicking it out for open shots. The defensive pressure threw off the Lady Bears and caused us to rush our shots. I agree with the comment that Texas outhustled my Bears.

In fairness, BU did not play well (again, this is taking nothing away from Texas). If the BU team that beat OU by 11 in Norman and KSU by 14 in Manhattan (today) had shown up, then it would have been a different story.

I still say that Texas is the only team in the Big 12 that can match BU's speed (especially on the defensive end).

I hope you crush OU tomorrow. BU / UT is going to be a fantastic rivalry for years to come...