What bowl for Texas?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Duck Dodgers, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

What have you all read about what bowl game, and what opponent, Texas is likely to play?

I'd seen the Alamo bowl was looking elsewhere from Texas. And that the Loop 610 Bowl was a possible spot for the Horns, against an Arky team for some boring SWC storyline.

Or maybe the up and coming Cheez-It bowl (not making that up - that's the actual name of it. Not the Grapefruit / Mango / Freedom bowl brought to you by Cheeze-It, but the actual name. I guess the Cheeze-It (should be Cheeze-****, those things are terrible) company paid extra to have it named directly for their salted, chemically flavored snacks).

That game would have NC in it, for wait for it, a story line about Mack Brown playing his old team. No sporting event can just feature two teams, gotta have some made for TV storyline for announcers to ramble on about, whist reading a script written by someone else.

Bowl matching is more complicated this year as many of them are being shut down, so it's not just a match game, but musical chairs as well.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  2. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Just saw Boston College voted as a team to opt out of any bowl game. Wouldn't make me sad if we did the same and just moved on to the coaching decision. Not excited about a trip to Houston or San Antonio to play whomever, and a loss to Mack would just pour salt in the wound.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I see a lot of sites show us playing NC State in the Cheez it bowl.
    That should be a win.
    By the way I love Cheez-it’s but not as good as Cheetos. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Play LSU in the Texas Bowl. Horns don't deserve anything else.

• poop poop x 1
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

One more vote here for calling it a year and packing it in. I get the whole this is playing time for freshman and extra practices etc. but really with covid doing what it is doing the better course of valor is calling it a season.

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Please, no bowl game.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My limited dealings with the people at the Alamo Bowl have been great. That said, the SA Convention Bureau has got to be demanding that we don't come. A couple of years ago, Wazzou and Mike Leach played Iowa State. My grandson wanted to sit behind the Wazzou bench to watch Leach. We drove over that afternoon, went straight to Chris Madrid's, then to the AlamoDome. That was the largest crowd featuring two out of state crowds in Alamo Dome history Of the announced crowd, it seemed like 85% were from Iowa. We were surrounded by ISU fans, all of whom indicated they came to San Antonio and stayed for 5-7 days. It was a homerun for the hotels and restaurants, whereas when we play, the vast majority drivein and drive out as we did for this game.

Of course, we rolled out of the dome parking lot at midnight, stopped in Houston, and arrived in the Quarter late afternoon

8. Vino Bevo

Ahh, Chris Madrids - best burgers on the planet. I've lived in Austin since 2007 but grew up in San Antonio and that's one of the few things I miss - the Macho Cheddar Cheesy with jalapenos and an ice cold one served by Jimmy (RIP), the best bartender in Bexar County. Chris was a UT grad ('73) by the way which made the burgers taste even better and the beer even colder.

Alamo Bowl is consistently one of the best bowl games in many terms and I'm always up for a trip down 35 to hang in the hometown for a while, but this year I'd just love the team to pack it up, be safe, and work on the future whatever that means.

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree on Chris having the best burger anywhere. He was a great guy, but his burger has survived his death, the fire, and now the sale, but is still the same.

10. Vino Bevo

Great places like that never die. My brother in law was good buddies with Chris, Carlos and the family and was the first to introduce me to them. If you ever noticed a picture on the wall by the ketchup dispensers (before the fire) of a guy at Indy with Emerson Fittipaldi that was him.

Chris was indeed a great guy, and I'm glad to see things carry on. That same brother in law passed last year so I know he and Chris have knocked a few back on the other side!

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chris and I were friends. A close friend had a company in San Antonio that was failing. I went over to save it, move it from the South side to the north side on 410. I ate in there almost every day. One of his best friends was a friend/acquaintance of mine.

I had to hire a whole new staff when I arrived, so I conducted the interviews in Chris' dining room. There was this gorgeous lady, who was also one of the best I ever met at what she did. She had never been to Chris', so when we ordered, she ordered the double meat Macho with chili and cheese. When our number appeared, I went to pick it up and came back to the table. There were five men in suits at a big round table near us, and they kept staring at us. Finally as they were leaving, they gathered near our table. I asked if we could help them, and one guy said, "we just wanted to see if she could get her mouth around that". Without missing a beat she told him. "I can get him (me) in my mouth, this will be a piece of cake".

Yes, I hired her, but like I said, she was great at what she did.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Vino Bevo

Love it!

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    You DO have the best stories:coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
  14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I’m weeping :hookem:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

"What bowl for Texas?"

[yawn]

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm hoping for the cereal bowl with Wheaties; getting more and more difficult to find Wheaties.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The players have had a tumultuous year and deserve a bowl. Alamo is a good one.

hope they go

another oft overlooked one is the one they had in downtown Phoenix. Not as big a deal as the Fiesta out in Tempe but downtown at Chase Field with good restaurants all over the place and easy access and indoors. It was inexpensive and the Arizonas are very hospitable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

I vote they go to the who cares bowl,or maybe the Tommie Herman Toilet Bowl.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I'm guessing we get the Redline Bowl...

As in one of the ones with a big red line through it. Do you really see these kids traveling and not managing to screw up the protocols put into place for the bowl game to prevent the sniffles? I don't.

20. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

21. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Anybody that doesn’t want Texas in a bowl can choose to not watch it or not go. You won’t be missed I’m sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hard to imagine how they will administer the whole bowl thing. There’s usually so much scheduled for the players and now? Nothing I would imagine. Oh well, if we do go I do not want to play Mack, or Jimbo but I’m sure that would be a big draw.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Rose Bowl might be in Dallas

• WTF? WTF? x 3
  24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

cue Brent Musberger...

"You are looking LIVE at THE Rose Bowl...from...Dallas?

What the hell did you do with my drink...that is two of these games now..."

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I love when someone brings up Musberger

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

This.

Anybody who wants us to turn it down, let's pretend for a moment you were the sole person in charge of the decision. You really want to be the one to go up to Sam and tell him "You aren't going to play a bowl your senior year, because I have chosen to forbid you from doing so"?

27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Conversely and in light of the free year that it appears they all can have if they want it...perhaps someone takes him aside and says something like "Sam, we all know you wanted this season to be better...how about we skip a bowl, you come back and really kick *** next year with a group of kids who really want to be here and are committed to actually winning. Then you enter the draft with a season that really means something."

28. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

But why would Texas do any better next year? Luck? There is no reason to think Texas won’t be third in conference next year too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Maybe ISU wont be as good? Or TCU. Or Tech. or ou

• Like Like x 2
  30. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Imagine what they could do if players actually committed to playing football instead of being led astray into all of the ancillary nonsense...

• Agree Agree x 2