What do I buy an 8 year old for a Bday?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by naked_bongo, Jun 19, 2004.

1. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

So, my friend from law school invited me to her daughter's 8th birthday party, and I haven't been to a party for an 8 year old ... well, since I was 8. Anyway, I have no clue what to get for her birthday. What do the kids like these days?

2. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

Go to Toy Joy, 29th and Guadalupe. You can't go wrong. Pick up several small things and make a gift bag, or wrap the items seperately so she will have more things to unwrap.

Girls that age seem to like small stuffed animals on a chain that they attach to their school back packs.

Hello Kitty is too young, but Garfield is coming back.

They all like Barbie stuff, but if her mom is a femmie she might get pissed.

A nice single malt is always appreciated.

3. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

candlesticks make a good present

4. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Some ideas:
    1) art stuff - 8 year old girls love pens, markers, stickers, gel pens, black gel pen paper, etc. Go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and stock up. While you are there get a basket to put all the stuff in and heave them make a bow for the handle. Another idea here is clear plastic picture frames and paint pens to decorate the frames with. Most of the time you can't go wrong with artsy stuff.

2) "grown up stuff" - go to Bath & Body Works. They have a kids line of stuff that little girls love. Get a set of stuff in one scent, include some flavored lip balm, too. If she has long hair, too, then go to the local grocery store or Walgreen's on the hair care aisle and get some colrful barettes or clips. Go to the nearest fabric store and get 1-2 yeards of feather boa for a creative "bow".

3) If you are looking for something unique, James Avery has some charms that are $15-20. Eight year old girls love hearts, flowers, and butterflies! If you want to spend a little more you can also get an inexpensive chain.

4) If you know she has a hobby or favorite something, get something related to it. If she likes sports, maybe a couple tickets to a WNBA game for her and mom or dad. Or a jersey of a favorite player. Books, especially picture books, related to whatever they are interested in are also good. I saw a really nice book with photos of ballet dancers that some little girl would just ohh and ahh over, but I don't know any that are into ballet.

Just a few ideas in some different price ranges. If all else fails then do a gift certificate from any of the above stores or Blockbuster.

Oh - and get earplugs for yourself if there are going to be other little 8 year old girls at the party!

[​IMG]

5. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

I had to do the same thing recently. I went with a bunch of goodies. Purse, sparkly lip gloss that she likes, body glitter stuff, nail polish, matching necklace & bracelet, necklace with her birthstone. I agree with the "grown up" stuff. I almost got her a disposable camera that you can actually change the film. Not too expensive, but still cool for an 8 year old.

Find out her favorite color too. This will help a lot when picking out stuff like lip gloss and nail polish.

6. TEXAS1026

TEXAS1026 100+ Posts

i was gonna say hooker, but since its a girl, get her something pink

7. Bacone Cap

Bacone Cap 25+ Posts

When I pick up 8 yr olds, I usually just offer them candy.

8. alt875

alt875 250+ Posts

A pink hooker.

9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Most 8 year olds want a pony. She will never forget you.

10. Ring1

Ring1 25+ Posts

See the thread below for good pistols under $500.

11. horn4life

horn4life 500+ Posts

One of the best bets is arts and crafts. The bead kits to make jewwlry are great. Or even stuff like "shrinky dinky" (spelling) where you make a craft and then put it in the oven and it shrinks down to a charm size thing.

Some kids are into the barbies or toher similar toys but you may have a hard time not getting a duplcate.

If the kid is active something for summertime. We bought a kids fin set, mask and snorkel with a carry bag for my daughters friend (9 year birthday) and she frigging loves that gift. My wife thought she wouldn't as much by the way.

Safest bet are a couple of arts and crafts kits.

Or the DVD Cheaper by the Dozen is a good one if she doesn't have it.