What do you know now that you wish you knew....

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by bedeviledegg, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bedeviledegg

bedeviledegg 25+ Posts

...five years ago? And no -- last week's lottery numbers don't count.

I wish I would have known that I had such a strong desire for independence -- being self-sufficient, not having a boss, etc. Not sure what it would have changed, but I think it might have altered my path somewhat.

2. El_Oso

El_Oso 500+ Posts

That I was going to gain so much weight so easily so fast. Now I'm having to work 10X as hard to get it back off [​IMG]

Mostly because I'm 41 and I no longer have a young man's metabolism.

3. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I wish I had known that I would leave my career and sue my employers on the way out the door.

I would not have given so much energy to that job and would have taken more time for myself and my personal relationships.

4. falloutboy

falloutboy 25+ Posts

not a goddamned thing

it is our mistakes and ensuing growth that make us who we are.

5. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I wish had gotten more sleep.

6. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Fallout is essentially on the right path.

It's unfortunate, but even the bad times make the good times worthwhile & more recognizeable.

Imagine if the Patriots were to go undefeated for the next 4 years, Superbowls & all... how insufferable would that be?

But it sure would make it that much sweeter once they finally lost.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Five years ago i was 18. I wish i had known how easy it was to date/sleep with hot women. I had no idea and probably missed a lot of great opportunities.

Also, my parents got divorced my junior year of college. Wish i had seen that coming.

8. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts

Old fart post. I'm 52.

Two things I learned down the road. The first had to do with my Dad. I spent a large part of growing up trying to please him and gain the gold medal of his approval. Everytime I reached an achievement, my Dad would reset the bar a little higher. Life became a lot easier when I realized that the person I most had to please was myself, not my Dad, and that I could live without his approval of the choices I made. This was around age 30.

At the same time, I had started my legal career, and in my effort and ambition to suceed, had put enormous pressure on the secretarial staff in my office, reducing one secretary to tears when I parked myself behind her as she prepared a document for me for court. A senior attorney, older female, called me into her office and sat me down.

"What is the most important thing in the world right now?"

"Right now? Getting this agreement done"

"Yeah, it's a good agreement, and a coup, and everyone will congratulate you and give you an attaboy. And next week, there will be a new challenge.

This business can change dramatically though. One "aw ****" can wipe out ten "attaboys" in a hurry, and you don't always see the "aw shits" coming.

In the meantime, the most important thing in the world is how you treat other people. Whether it's a secretary today, or opposing counsel, a defendant, a victim, their families, a witness; nothing else matters but how you treat them in your dealings. You can be adversial without being a prick. But always remember when you are dealing with other people and wanting to advance your wants and needs to think, when you start and continue your contact, about their world and their wants and needs, and adjust accordingly."

That was a major life moment, and a concept that I wished I had grasped earlier in my life.