what grade, (A B C D F) would you award PATTERSON... after 18mo's on the job?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by meadowlark, May 20, 2015.

1. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

[​IMG]
    excellent head coaching hires!
    where are the new renderings / concepts for the DKR SEZ / moncrief neuhaus redevelopment, and related projects?​

2. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Incomplete; until Strong and Smart prove they are smart and strong hires by winning a lot of games. Otherwise his moves will be inconsequential.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

2 years Probation.

4. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Double secret probation.

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

LAGA4 stole my answer.

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I like Old Hippie's answer... the jury is still out on Patterson's 2 biggest hires... no grade.

7. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Hires have potential......but you know what they say about potential.

Financially-F- The amount of money he gave Strong and Smart, he got rooked in negotiations.

Fundraising.....jury is still out but I predict it will go down over the next few years unless the football team does something remarkable.

Rumors that I have heard are that Large Donors are way down, Middle donors are stagnant because a bunch have left but a bunch have signed up and low donors are down, just what I heard through the radio, paper and people talking nothing official.
    As long as Steve Patterson is the AD, I will never donate another dollar to the University of Texas, I will take my 20+ years of donating an amount that would get me OU tiickets every year and go home. He also screwed the Major donors and Middle donors at Arizona State for Corporate Sponsorship, he will be doing the same here, watch!!!

Being honest and upfront with people a huge F!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

on Hires; an Incomplete
    On understanding what a college sports program should be about; an F
    On dealing with most ticket holders ; a BIG FAT F

MWA explained it perfectly

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I think you explained it better. While finances are a part of the equation and coaching progress will be huge, understanding the entire situation and being able to finesse it is bigger. Texas has a huge fan base, bigger than 98% when he arrived, and he is destroying that relationship which could destroy the athletic program if coaching doesn't deliver. He comes from a culture of professional big money and TV and that is more fragile in collegiate ranks due to much more available competition. If he doesn't quickly realize that then he could bring this program to its knees.

I'll give him a B on coaching hires pending results and an F on managing a major collegiate program.

10. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Grade so far is D- bordering on F depending on make up work.
    Hires:
    Football F 6-7 losing season, 59 yards in a bowl loss, Watson as OC, no defensive adjustments in 3rd Q....etc
    Basketball Undetermined, but hired a coach that does not have a better post season record the last few years than the coach he fired.

Raised football prices over 30% after a losing record and no prospect of the program improving until there is a coaching change. Improvement means hiring a coach that can get us into the NC game, Patterson did not accomplish that hire. When I say 30% increase, I include parking passes in the increase as they were not charged separately prior to this year, therefore part of the ticket price.

Kind of like a car purchaser picking up his auto and discovering it had no doors and the salesman telling him if he wanted doors it would be extra. After 28 years, it was understood we would get Foundation football parking with our ticket purchase much like doors on a car purchase..

Patterson is trying to increase revenue when the main revenue source of football is in a downturn. Tough deal, but I think his perception of arrogance and decisions are unacceptable by most fans.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I give him a G. An F for the way he's disrespected and alienated loyal donors. And further reduction because even knowing how pissed we are having to question our continued financial support of something we hold so sacred, he still doesn't care an ounce.

I used to feel my money went to supporting the program to help it succeed. Now I see it as supporting the Patterson agenda and his success. There's only one way to correct that and it burns me that I even have to consider it after all these years unwavering.

12. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Raising ticket prices before the products get better, this is better than a grade. A picture is worth a thousand words or a single letter.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Charlie Strong can't get us to an NC? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion after one year on the job.

14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

15. Kw Horn77

Kw Horn77 < 25 Posts

16. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

After reading the post about Patterson needing to explain about money for the new tennis facility (and being a huge UT tennis fan), I'd have to give him an F.

17. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I think he was looking for a coach that had already been to the NC game as a Head Coach, not betting on potential.

I might be mistaken......

• Like Like x 2
  18. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

The price of milk has gone up since last year. The price of beef, the price of eggs, the price of a home, and on and on. And the milk tastes the same, as do the other products.

It's to be expected that ticket prices would increase, as well.

As for giving Patterson a grade, it's way too early for that. Once I see how his coaching hires go, I'll be able to post a grade for him. With the course-work just starting, I'd think he could be in line for a fairly good grade.....but he hasn't gotten the results from any of his tests yet.....nor have we.

19. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I think we have been getting 2% milk, it doesn't taste the same as whole milk. You don't pay whole milk prices for 2% milk, at my grocery store.

20. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Think "healthy"?

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The attendance figures have certainly gotten thinner. :smile1:

22. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Attendance at which sports? With Barnes out, our basketball attendance will be much higher this year. The low attendance at men's basketball games was low because of Barnes boring product. Patterson's removal of Barnes and hiring of Shaka Smart is a fantastic move for attendance. Once Smart and Patterson work out getting a serious home schedule going, things will change. Basketball will show a major spike this year just because of Smart's hiring and the kind of basketball he coaches. So that's a very positive move Patterson made. I don't have the figures, but I'm guessing baseball was down, as the weather for about 60% of the home games was abysmal. In fact, of all the years I've had season tickets, I cannot remember a worse baseball season for weather. And, with the exception of the Oklahoma series, most of the good series were away from home. Even the OU series was plagued by bad weather.

As for football, I haven't compared the number of season ticket holders for the year before last and this last season. The overall crowd attendance will spike IF the hiring of Charlie Strong turns out to be a good move by Patterson. But this is all just the beginning. Patterson now "owns" his decisions in both football and basketball. And this upcoming season will be the 1st we can begin to judge. That's why I think it's silly for us to try and 'grade' him now.

What I've always been most concerned with in any of our sport's venues is the student's attendance and the overall atmosphere. Let's face it, UT is not known for inspired crowds, and that has to change. At the Erwin Center, I'd get excited if all of the crowd around me had the ability to stand up for the national anthem. That's got to change, as does 1/2 of the crowd leaving at the start of the 4th quarter in football (and this was happening when we were a top 10 team). Whether the antics that Patterson is putting into place for football and basketball will work, we'll just have to wait and see. But anything would be an improvement over the almost detached crowd atmosphere we've had.

I'm willing to give him a chance to govern our athletic department and see if he can improve things. If he can't, his time here will be short-lived anyway.....It's hard to be liked or appreciated when you're the "top dog." Whether it's coaching, administration, or in corporate world, most like to find fault with the person in charge instead of working in whatever venue and capacity to make things click well. I've been there. Nothing becomes a perfect product overnight, especially when the product was not running smoothly anyway.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  23. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Season tickets are going down in baseball and football, probably basketball too. Attendance at baseball was terrible, I don't think there was a sellout all year. Not even a sellout, for any of the OU games. At the time that was an important series, besides just being against OU.

Was there a sellout for Basketball, Kansas maybe, because of the many Kansas fans in attendance.

Longtime season ticket holders in baseball are not renewing, higher prices and basically ending tailgating has done it.

Football and basketball will probably pick back up soon, with renewed excitement over the new coaches, but only if they are successful, will it sustain.

Football is an event, it takes a lot to kill attendance.

24. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Well, friend, that's my point. It's because attendance was slipping that we had to change our mode of operation. Thus Patterson was hired when DeLoss Dodds retired. If anything, and as much as I like him, perhaps he's more responsible for the attendance problems in basketball and football than Patterson. After all, he was running the athletic department. Fyi: the OU series in baseball was a sellout, but as you remember, the weather ruined crowd attendance. And, as I mentioned, baseball attendance was lower this year because of the abysmal weather for 60% of our games this year. And I can remember regionals and super regionals in baseball that were sold out but not fully attended (and that was with a great product on the field). Heck, I even missed 7 home games this year due to weather----and that's astounding for me! As I mentioned, Patterson didn't "own" basketball or baseball or football this last season. His time on the clock is just starting. If things don't improve in the next 2 years, I'll panic along with the rest of you.

25. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I was just referring to this season in baseball, as there were no home playoff games. I would expect the Friday and Saturday OU games to be sold out, not always the case for Sunday.

Some of the midweek games looked like a ghost town, it wasn't the weather, that didn't use to be the case. Maybe LHN has affected attendance some. People stay home and watch on television, now that LHN is available nearly everywhere.

The Tech series wasn't sold out and that was the biggest series of the year, as it was the Longhorn's last stand, for a regional bid, and maybe to make the conference tournament. There were a lot of Tech fans present too. Thankfully Baylor helped out in both cases, and we won the Tournament.

Any Regional and Super Regional at the Disch, will be sold out. Only one Super Regional since 2011.

My point is you don't raise prices, while the product is not good, that's not good business, Patterson did just that.

Ironically baseball was the only team that had real success, going to the CWS. It still is suffering because, the prices were raised a lot, while tailgating is being destroyed. Long time season ticket holders are not renewing, I know several personally. Remember that post by Orangeblood, prices went way up.

When I was a student at Texas 77-82, there were no night games till after Spring Break, because UT wouldn't turn the lights on till then, because it cost $10,000 dollars to turn the lights on and that was too much money then. That's why there are tie games in that time period. That went on for several years after that.

There was still good attendance for those afternoon weekday games, against some pretty bad teams. There was no Longhorn foundation, just a voluntary baseball club that people joined to help pay for things. The team had old and faded uniforms then, we even had some made for them and paid for them. It was that bad, the last time those uniforms were worn was the 1989 championship game, against Wichita State, in Omaha.

Yes things have changed greatly, not always for the better it seems, at least for fans.

Texas Baseball used to about "Gus Ball" and then "Augie Ball." It was about a great atmosphere of "college baseball," the antics of the "Wild Bunch," Frank Erwin doffing his Panama hat, Bib Faulk coming to all the games. It was a crowd that knew when to react, not be told when and how. It was about tailgating at the "Disch," not seeing all tailgating be taken away, at "UT whatever corporation pays the biggest bucks field."

It has become a smaller version of "Round Rock," that is a real shame. Some things are bigger than the almighty dollar. When you take away the tradition and college atmosphere, for whatever promotion you can put between innings, out of the game, it isn't Texas Baseball anymore. Many Longhorn fans know this and hate it, I am one of these.

Patterson is helping to perpetuate this. It's not like UT is going broke anytime soon. Football and Basketball are the sacred cash cows and make plenty, can't they at least leave Texas Baseball alone and let it have the dignity it has had, for so long, even before they knew they could make a buck on it.

26. Duffer

Duffer < 25 Posts

F.
    Sports aside, the fan experience sucks.

27. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

After reading some of these posts, I have changed my grade from D- to F.

28. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Oh, that's easy:

[​IMG]

We could have had a highly proven, very experienced head football coach, but got a Tier II, weird moralist who, although hard-working and good defensive coach, is disorganized, isn't a planner, is getting killed this year in recruiting in this market (like he almost did last year until Sumlin ****** up and handed him a series of gifts), is uncomfortable speaking to groups, and let's face it, generally doesn't come across as very bright (as opposed to Shaka Smart who is incredibly bright), is learning on the job at this level, and doesn't possess the repertoire of head coaching skills that one needs at the Univeristy of Texas at Austin. Red was exactly right. This head coach may eventually figure it out, but it looks like he's got a significantly low ceiling.

But the poor football head coach hire could have been somebody's other than StevieP's: selfish and pathetically-political Bill Powers may have wanted people to look on wikipedia in 20 - 50 years and see what his legacy was; so he picked the head football coach himself and made it quite known in coaching circles that he was interviewing only one guy and then gave him $5.1 million for 5 years -- a no-cut contract because Powers knew his pick was not the best out there and he needed to make sure his pick got max time to try to somehow do well at this level well over his head. We probably can't blame Patterson for this one -- it's probably the only thing we can't blame Patterson for. With that hire, Patterson started defying Bill; he knew if Bill was so deluded that he was saddling him with a head coach like that, he didn't want anything to do with Bill's legacy-building decisions that had nothing to do with UT's future football success, but rather his academic buddies at UT and across the American academic community would love it.

As for the Shaka hire, I think that's probably a C+ or a B. But Powers may have made that decision as well.

As for donor, student, faculty, Austin politicians' relations, StevieP gets an F- (or a G). He is a walking fired Michigan AD:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sport...hletic-director-dave-brandon-resigns/29455694

This site had it correct from its inception: http://www.firestevepatterson.com/

So green eye-shaded, focused-only-on-his-contract-bonus, City-of-Austin-arena-insulting, tone-deaf, donor-dissing Patterson clearly gets an

[​IMG]

OR IF IT'S POSSIBLE, A

[​IMG]