What gym should I join?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by WhoseHouse, Jun 11, 2008.

1. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

I live in Deep Eddy (just north of Lake Austin Boulevard, west of Mopac). I need a pretty basic gym- good cardio machines and maybe some classes. I don't want to have to look/fight for parking- is this a problem with the downtown gyms? Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

2. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

A lot of people that I work with go to Mecca, 6th and Lamar. I think it's pretty pricey, but they always go after work and say it's empty. Plenty of parking.

3. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

Mecca - pricey but good amenities, classes, not crowded

Castle Hill - has 3, 6, and 12 month memberships which is convenient and attracts eye candy from the 40 acres

Pure Austin - recently dropped this membership because it got too crowed. i was very pleased the 3+ years i was a member, good staff, good classes, great instructors - especially yoga...there are too many people there now, small locker rooms. Now I just swim laps at Deep Eddy mostly.

The Hills - don't know much about this place except it's in Westlake, has a pool and running trail

There is also a small place on 5th, just west of Baylor

These are the main places in that area. You can typically go to a gym, get a tour and they will allow you to workout for a day or so for free. Just go try each one out.

4. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

I posted something like this a few months ago but decided to stay at Pure Austin, primarily b/c I live downtown.

I don't know what it is but I feel it isn't as crowded as it was 6 months ago. I generally go around 7:30 pm and it is not crowded. Maybe it it is b/c of the summer (probably is).

I think it is your best bet downtown.

5. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

6. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

Why does everyone worry so much about what the people around them are doing? I'm a member of Gold's because it's cheap, there are locations all over town so I can catch a shower after running at the Hike & Bike trail or through Hyde Park, and they have a ton of weights and machines. Sure, the place is teeming with douchebags, but they don't interfere with my workout since I'm there to exercise and not watch everything else that's going on.

7. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

There's generally a direct correlation between the douchebaggery quotient of a place and how insanely crowded it gets in the late afternoon. The reason I left Gold's wasn't just because it got so freaking crowded or the douches alone, but the combination of the two...

I third the Hills. It's a little pricey but if you use everything (swimming, indoor hoops, racquetball, etc) it's worth it...

8. bozo_casanova

YMCA. D-bag quotient=0

Good machines, Extensive free weights, no lines, plenty of parking, next to town lake.

9. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

UT has a Business/Professional membership that you can purchase through the Rec Sports Department. Gives you access to gyms, pools, and tennis, racquetball, handball, squash, basketball, and volleyball courts, etc.

10. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

YMCA is way too expensive for what you get

11. bozo_casanova

Depends on what you mean by what you get. You get all of what I mentioned, plus you support a charitable organization that provides sports, swimming lessons, golf and community to poor kids and people with Alzheimer's. And it;s tax deductible (I think). So that, plus the big weight room, no lines ever, zero douches, and kick *** locations is a pretty good deal.

12. unpaintedhuffhines

I pay $8 a month for the exact same amenities at 24 hr fitness vs. something like $55/month at the Y.

I can find a better way to support organizations than overpaying for access to fitness equipment.

with that said, that's just my opinion, nothing wrong at all with your perspective

13. bozo_casanova

14. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

15. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

16. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

he probably did a family "add on". 24 has specials all the time for deals like that.

17. unpaintedhuffhines

I paid for 3 years up front. Cost broke down to $16 per month. The 4th year, which is what I just started drops down to $8/month. I am not under a contract.

18. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

To follow-up this discussion 6 months hence, I finally got sick of Pure Austin b/c of (a) not enough cardio machines, (b) too crowded, (c) too loud (they feel the need to BLAST music during spin classes and (d) they decided to build a new coffee bar, instead of replacing the TVs that are at least 10 years old........

Instead, I went to Lifetime Fitness South. IF this isn't the best gym in Austin, I would like to know what is. State of the art. Very big. All the machines you want.

I was there at the 'peak' time and there was scores of machines to be had. And it's the same price as Pure Austin.

It's worth the 10 minute drive to me coming out of downtown.

19. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

I've worked out once at Lifetime. It's nice. I didn't like it all that much though. Too big and fancy for me. I'm partial to regular gyms than fancy fitness centers.

20. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

24 fitness always treated me quite well in austin. the NW one sucked *** but the hancock center is one of the best ive used in every way. seems like all the 24 hr fitnesses that came about by taking over an older gym suck.

21. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

I wound up joining the Y. Couples' membership is $75/m, which isn't bad for two. Very little to no wait time, especially on the cardio equipment. The atmosphere is the only downside (well, that and my former boss works out there, so I him him in his birthday suit in the locker room) - it's a bit dumpy, and there are a lot of grouchy old timers there. While there aren't many douches, there also aren't many pretty girls. I'm definitely missing getting to work out at the Rec Center, which was exceptionally clean and well lit. But overall, it's a good value and good location.

A friend really likes Castle Hill. Small gym, good trainers. That might be a good option for some folks.

22. dallas_the_tiger

dallas_the_tiger 100+ Posts

I was a member at 24HR for about 3 years.. I always went to the one on 183/Braker b/c it was close to my house. Ended up quitting though because it was getting seriously overcrowded.. In fact, I did spin classes regularly to rehab my knee. Well the afternoon classes filled up so quickly that you had to pay $1 to get an advanced spot in the class or show up 2 hrs early and put your name down (since only 5-10 spots were left after all the $1 payers..) $1 dollar to sign up early for a spin class when I'm already paying $40/month? WTF?!

I'm now at Golds. Simple.. Lots of machines/weights. Havent noticed too many douchebags at all really. I like it so far...