What happened to Smokemaster grills?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Travis50, May 30, 2008.

1. Travis50

Travis50 < 25 Posts

I am a newbie here so I apologize if this has been addressed.

I got a Smokemaster grill about 10 years ago and love it. I have referred a few friends to their company but now I look like a tool as their website is dead.

Anyone else have one of these?

2. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

A tool? Yes, I have many. & Yes, some are also friends.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. big_fat_horn

big_fat_horn 100+ Posts

I have a Smokemaster, and love it. They used to be sold locally at Callahans. I bought mine directly from the manufacturer. If you want something similar, look up the name of Dave Klose in Houston on the interweb. He if famous for his pits, and they are similar to Smokemasters.

4. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

My father-in-law is actually THE Smokemaster of Smokemaster BBQ pits. And when I married his daughter, I was lucky enough to receive one as the dowry. [​IMG]

He sold the business about 5 or 6 years ago and, unfortunately, the buyer wasn't able to keep it going. Too bad, it was a really nice side-business for him, helped him put 3 kids through college. He had a great network of retailers all over the state like Callahan's and BBQs Galore, and as you mentioned he also sold direct. I used to help him haul those pits from his factory out in Lampasas to his warehouse in Liberty Hill, and then into Austin for deliveries and such.

I was sorry to see the business go, and even sorrier when the new owner wasn't able to keep it up.

Anyway, glad you still like your Smokemaster pit, he'll be glad to know there are still fans out there.

5. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

very cool (smokin') story

6. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Makes me wonder why he doesn't restart the business, UTEE.

7. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

When he sold it I think he was pretty much ready to retire from it. It was also a viable going concern at the time, and now he'd have to completely rebuild the business. I just don't know if he'd care to do that a second time around.

But, it was very cool while it lasted. [​IMG]

8. Travis50

Travis50 < 25 Posts

Let him know that I still love mine. He was kind enough to deliver it to my house in North Texas since he was going to be in the neighborhood.

I hope I don't need to replace it for many years but I was sad to see that the company had died.

9. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

For something similar, and of impeccable quality see:

Tejas Smokers

10. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I'll let him know, I'm sure he'll be happy to hear it.

Those Tejas smokers look almost identical so if their performance is similar, then they're fine pits indeed.

11. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

i Have had the Tejas for about 10 years. It is one solid pit. 1/4 inch steel all around, and temp regulation is an absolute breeze. Steady, and easy to manipulate. It holds so steady you just check on it every once in a while. I highly recommend.

12. Jacol

Jacol First Time Poster

My son recently bought a smokemaster that needs some restoration. The baffle between the firebox and cooker was detached and the edges are rusted and flaking away and it is not obvious where or how the baffle was attached and we are not sure how to reinstall it. we would like to restore it as closely as possible to factory specs so that it will perform as intended. Is there any place that you could direct us to for pictures of said baffle in factory position? this unit has the vertical on the end. Thank you

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Unfortunately every single smoker is out of stock.