What happened to the Missouri Valley?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by UT wildcatter, Jan 9, 2008.

1. UT wildcatter

UT wildcatter 100+ Posts

Or what happened to Southern Illinois? I saw last night they were 6-8.

I know they played everyone from the Lakers to the Globetrotters, but didn't they start the year as #10? This link has their conference records and they probably beat they hell out of each otherespnradio.espn.go.com/ncb/conference?confId=18

I'm a small Saluki fan and have some interest in Creighton because Booker Woodfox, a guard in A. J.'s class transferred up there this year. I watched Missouri State absolutely destroy Mark Turgeon's old team Wichita State last night. Any Missouri Valley buffs know how that conference is gonna go down?

2. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

The league's rebuilding. Drake's probably the best team. Illinois State appears to have a good new coach. Creighton still has Dana Altman, but they are a year away.

To talk about SIU, the magic is gone.

It's back to a one-, maybe two-bid league.

3. KosherHorn

KosherHorn 250+ Posts

More than likely one-bid unless Drake tears it up in conference yet loses in the conference tourney. Their RPI is good, but they haven't really beaten anyone.

Coaching defections have hurt the Mo Valley, too. Turgeon from Wichita State to A&M and McDermott from Northern Iowa to Iowa State are two examples. Plus, these teams are really good when they're senior-laden, so they're reloading as far as that's concerned from their tourney teams from two years ago.

4. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

Drake, Ill. St and Mo St are the class of the league this year, but on a good night Creighton and Wichita St. can play with those teams.

5. I Miss Vince

I Miss Vince < 25 Posts

WSU's also had a couple starters injured. Matt Brauer, the kid who played with Ramonce Taylor at Belton, is probably being missed the most. That kid's quick and was really making things happen at point. Not sure if he's still out but he's missed several games. Their new coach, Marshall, is solid though and I don't see them getting too far down. Give them a season or two and they'll be pretty legit again.

6. Psyclone

Psyclone 25+ Posts

Drake is an interesting story here in Iowa. They are located in Des Moines, about 30 minutes south of Ames. In 1969 Drake went to the Final Four and nearly took down powerhouse UCLA during their Wooden dominance. I had a chance to talk to John Wooden a few years ago and told him that he broke my heart when his team beat Drake. He recalled that game right away, as well he should. Very few teams could play with UCLA during that time. UCLA made two late free throws to win the game by 3.

Tom Davis the former Iowa coach retired from Drake after a couple of years and his son took over. Keno Davis has really got them going, although they just lost their top player to injury. They absolutely throttled ISU earlier this year, but they always seem to play ISU tough.

It is just phenomenal after being down for so many years, to watch what is going on. And although there is usually no love lost between ISU and Iowa, the former Iowa coach and his son are really class acts. Now I think I'm going to puke. That would be like a Longhorn praising and Aggie.

7. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner 100+ Posts