What is THE best restaurant you have ever eaten at

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by longhrnfan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. WillWork4Horns

WillWork4Horns 100+ Posts

I would say the Lays potato chips, chocolate brownies, chocolate chip cookies, crackers, and little pecan pies that I ate at 19 after coming home from a Judas Priest concert!

2. clevername

clevername 25+ Posts

Another vote for Gary Danko. Food & service were both phenomenal.

3. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

Mark's!!!!!

4. Doug E. Fresh

Doug E. Fresh 25+ Posts

it would definitely have to be a restaurant in Paris, probably Guy Savoy.

5. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

The Grand Hotel restaurant, Yokahama, Japan....in 1957....a Kobe steak dinner for four, with superb sides....all elegantly served up by a table captain and 4 assistants.

Total cost was about $20 for all of us.

6. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Kings Inn, Loyola Beach, Texas.

Fried seafood.

7. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

Delmonicos in Vegas

It was our anniversary. Top to bottom the best dining experience I've ever had.

8. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

Midtown, Bouchon is a bistro, his attempt (successful I think) at a high quality bistro, nothing more. It was not conceived to be in anyone reasonably travelled and fed's top anything, except maybe a list of very good bistros outside of France.

French Laundry was his attempt to make the a truly world class restaurant, focusing on locally sourced food. Per Se was his attempt at making the best restaurant in the world, period. Go to either of those, and tell me what you think.

9. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Galatoire's

4 hour lunch on St. Patty's day 2006 with three of my best friends, it felt like it took 15 minutes.

10. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

If i have to decide bw Koi in LA, Craftsteak in Vegas, or La Cabrera in Buenos Aires, the tie breaker would be ambiance, which goes a hell of a long way with me ... I'd say

La Cabrera
    Steakhouse
    Buenos Aires

11. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

chop house for me too.

12. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Auberge de I'Ill *** 1973
    ILLHAEUSERN (Alsace)
    French

Unfortunately, I had a bad cold and had taken Dristan. I could not distinguish the taste between the salmon mousse and veal ala moutarde. Mrs Idahorn2 said both were fabulous.

This opinion would be based on everything. We and another couple had the reservations for several months. There were license plates in the parking area from London, Paris, and Rome. The dining room was light and airy, the carpet was light green, and a table in the foyer was at least a thousand years old (dark and primitive) with a white doily thing and strawberry desserts on it. We arrived a little early and had onion quiche and Pilsner Urquel in the wooded garden. I thought it was apple pie.

The service was incredible, totally unobtrusive (none of the constant questioning), butter magically appeared, your wine glass was replenished without being noticed. Our conversations were not interrupted and the courses appeared at appropriate intervals. The bill of fare certainly reflected the overall excellence- for the two of us it was well over a hundred bucks in 1973,

13. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

bofinger
    paris
    est 1864
    probably not the best restaurant i've been to, but it was my best experience

14. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

Citronelle - Georgetown, DC
    French

15. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

16. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

If you say so. The reasoning in your first post was along the lines of "well, my Suburban really isn't very fast, so I doubt the ZR1 will have much pickup."

17. dfw75201

dfw75201 250+ Posts

Masa's, San Francisco with Ron Siegel in the kitchen.
    French/New American

18. breakfast_taco

breakfast_taco 100+ Posts

Jean-Georges
    NYC, French/Continental

19. Do The Lance Dance

Do The Lance Dance 25+ Posts

Jacquimo's
    New Orleans
    creole/southern

20. Herkie Walls

Herkie Walls 25+ Posts

Commander's Palace
    New Orleans

21. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

22. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

Bofinger is not that great, but it is fun.

Jardin de Frederic
    St. Remy, Provence, France
    Provencal

23. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I have to pick French Laundry as well.

24. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

The Old Warsaw
    Dallas

I don't even remember exactly what I had but it was most definitely read meat.

My wife and I were in Dallas for a wedding. The groom was a friend of mine from high school but when we got to the reception, we realized that outside of him, the bride (barely), his parents and one other guy, we didn't know any of the other 200+ people. Our anniversary was the next weekend so we talked to the concierge at the hotel and asked for a dinner rec. He called ahead to the Warsaw. We had never been there so I didn't have any idea what to expect.

I was a tad bit concerned when Ross Perot walked out of the bathroom as we waited to be seated. I mean, I expected to be good but I wasn't so sure I was going to like the prices. It turned out to be expensive but too terribly so. And it was a great meal.

25. Grasshopper

Grasshopper 100+ Posts

Mama's Fish House
    Paia, Maui
    yum

26. NEOKHORN

NEOKHORN 100+ Posts

Forest Restaurant in Franklin, LA.
    Right off higway 90. This place is located in a Best Western Motel no less. I had very low expectations, but wound up with one of my best meals ever. Crawfish six different ways was nothing short of heaven!

27. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Charlie Trotters, Chicago.

Seven courses with paired wines. Expensive as **** and worth it.

28. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

Commander's Palace
    NO

29. Tim & Omar's Apt

Tim & Omar's Apt 100+ Posts

Bob's Steak and Chop House
    Dallas
    American
    Absolute best lobster I've ever consumed.

30. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

Morimoto-Philadelphia, PA
    Japanese