What is the difference between UCLA and now?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by CadetHorn, Jan 25, 2008.

1. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

From what I can gather, we were playing better when we beat the likes of Tennessee and UCLA and what not. I haven't been able to watch all of the games because I am in NY, but what has been the difference? I assumed we would get back to that level with the addition of gary johnson, but even against the cowpokies we showed a lot of holes that Kansas, or worse, aggy could take advantage of. Someone give me a rundown.

2. SigPi_Horn

SigPi_Horn 500+ Posts

4 words

Connor Atchley
    AJ Abrams

3. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

4. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

Add Justin Mason to the list.

He was crucial in both those games. Arguably the mvp of the Tenn game and he gave the UCLA guard trying to guard him fits.

5. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

So this is more of an individual thing than a scheme thing?

6. elface

elface 250+ Posts

All five starters averaged double figures. Defenses had to react to five offensive threats vs. three (DJ, AJ, James).

7. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

8. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Don't forget Buckman on your list of shot blockers. He actually blocked more shots per minute played than Aldridge.

I would say that while UT has looked out of sync offensively and defensively over the last month, the problems that are currently being seen were there against Tennessee and UCLA, but those problems were hidden because those teams simply played like crap against UT in December. I suggested that everyone who was immediately anointing the team as a Final Four team should hold off on that assessment--a suggestion that was generally not well received around here. But I repeat now--UCLA didn't shoot worth a damn and rather inexplicably left their strongest inside player on the bench for much of the second half, and Tennessee wasn't a strong rebounding team and showed UT still was vulnerable to 3 point attacks. Both games tended to show there was very little help from the bench, and DJ was going to be overworked and might tire at the end of games.

Furthermore, leading up to the Michigan State game, UT was shooting an unbelievably high percentage of 3 pointers AND 2 pointers. Those figures were bound to come down.

Now, add the following factors--trying to work a new player into the defensive rotation, Atchley having a hurt elbow and not being able to stretch defenses, and teams figuring out they need to put a taller player on Abrams and force him to drive. (I still have sad laughter remembering the TV announcer remark how much Abrams loves to go to the floating jumper on the drive. My immediate thought was how much a lot of UT fans hate seeing it.)

So, I would say the biggest difference between UT now and after the UCLA game might be how people are looking at the team, including the team itself. Confidence has always seemed to be an issue with Atchley, and if he isn't confident and Mason's shooting is off, and other teams are playing a taller player on Abrams so he can't just spot up and shoot (or if he has to jack the shot up too fast), then the offensive options for the team are pretty limited. Looking back at the last three games, adjusting for James sitting for half the Colorado game with foul problems, Augustin, James and Abrams are taking almost 80% of the shots.

I do think things will shake out by the end of the year. I've been somewhat disappointed by Johnson's play so far, especially given what I saw in the exhibition game he played in, and I am somewhat concerned that he might never get fully caught up by March. If he doesn't, the three short guard set will result in some more losses and some more way too close games.

Finally, I'm sorry, but even with Mason's poor shooting, I think I want his defense over Abrams'. Seeing some of the really bad shots and decisions Abrams has made over the last 3 games has me really wanting Abrams to come off the bench.

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

10. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I agree he is shooting much better on the move this year, but that comment came early in the UCLA game (I forgot to mention that), when it wasn't yet apparent to me that his floating jump shot would be a viable weapon this year.

Viable, I said. Definitely still not the preferred shot for UT to have in any possession.

11. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I heard that Ricky B is trying to get some depth experience now by consistently working on new rotations and starting lineups. If this is true hopefully this will work out by tourney time.

13. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

I'll be much happier if we can win the next 2.....

14. deserthorn

deserthorn 100+ Posts

ucla is 4 letters
    now is 3 letters [​IMG]

15. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

I think the team if following the Barnes pattern. There are usually struggles in non conference [tough schedule] and we are okay until about mid Feb when the team gels and becomes its usual tough out during the tourney.

We just had an uncommonly good non-con this year but have taken a step back. Still think this team will have its true identity about Valentines day and become a tough out yet again.

16. dahobbs

dahobbs 100+ Posts

Biggest difference is Mason. He was getting a lot of assists, few turn overs, and scoring points. Recently he hadn't been contributing at all on the offensive end. Teams have also adjusted the way they play our screens.

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Atchley looked confident earlier in the year, but it's hard for a guy to stay confident when he receives the ball only about 10% of the time he's open in a scoring position.

Glad to see DJ with 6 assists last night. Obviously that isn't going to be routine for him, but he's already so dangerous as a combo wing/post scoring threat, and teams are really going to start having trouble with him as he gets better at finding the guys that get open as a result of the whole defensive watching him at times.