What is this crap?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by Longhorn Mike, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Longhorn Mike

Longhorn Mike 100+ Posts

Have any of you seen these driving around? I have seen a couple in the last two weeks in the Dallas area, so they have got to be all over the place in Houston.
    [​IMG]

I think it is great that we have many of the Texas universities license plates available for our cars. I have UT plates on my car as I know many of you do as well. But for the State to advertise an out of state school.....one that competes for students, grant money and athletics directly against our large state schools is just plain stupid. If you check TXDOT's website, the LSU plates are not listed under the colleges and universities specialty category. They are hidden in the Organizations section. However, there is a direct link to the plate registration on every LSU alumni chapter website in Texas.

I remember seeing a Tennessee plate for U of Arkansas years ago and thinking.. damn, TN is really stupid for doing that. Now, our own state is up to this stupidity? I know the costs specialized plates are absorbed by the extra fees, but should the state of Texas help promote other state schools, even for a profit? Now that LSU has broke the ice, be prepared for OU and Arkansas plates in the next few months, because as soon as they see the LSU plate, their alumni and t shirts will demand one too. You have to ask yourself if the UT alumni that live in OK, AR or LA demand at UT plate, would they get one. NO F'N WAY.

Is this somthing to organize against? I am sure many A&M and Tech folks would be against the proliferation of out of state school plates as well. If people ***** enough, the legislature will pressure TXDOT to pull them. What about our big school alumni in the legislature? Were they aware of this? Did the legislature approve this?

- Longhorn Mike

2. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

3. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

Well LSU is known as such a fantastic academic institution it just sells itself anyway.

4. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Focus your efforts on getting a better looking UT license plate.

5. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

There are new license plates in the works, I hear. I sure hope there's some improvements, too.

6. Longhorn Mike

Longhorn Mike 100+ Posts

Well, it is not quite $75, it is $30, with only $22 going to fund the highways and $8 going to the cost of the plates. Not a giant money maker by any stretch of the imagination. I am not a big fan of the private school plates, but they are institutions in Texas so I guess they are OK, but out of state schools?

I know a lot of people who went to school out of state live in Texas, but if they want a government issued plate with their alma mater, go live in the crappy state you went to school in. If you don't believe LSU competes with UT in some way, shape or form, I guess you did not watch the games in Omaha.

If you guys don't like the current UT plate, you should have seen the crap we had in the early 90's. The huge surge in UT plate registrations came after the redesign that removed the Tower and replaced it with the longhorn symbol and UT.

- Longhorn Mike

7. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

I can't really get too excited either way about this. These people are going to represent their school on their cars in some form or fashion, so why not make a few bucks in the process.

8. bEEvo92

bEEvo92 < 25 Posts

LSU plates are not street legal:
    The Link

Perhaps you should inform your local peace officer next time you see one on the road. [​IMG]

9. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

They also have one for motorcycles, BUT NONE FOR ANY TEXAS COLLEGE

The Link

10. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

12. 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 25+ Posts

Let's get the season started before people start coming up with really silly things to complain about..............Oh!

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

14. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

My only complaint is the "Geaux Tigers" at the bottom. I used to have Texas plates, and they didn't have " Hook 'em Horns" at the bottom.

15. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I guess that I miss the boat here, hooray for all schools. There is a speciality about going to college gettin your degree and being proud of your school. Good for them. I don't care if you are an Aggie, Sooner or Tiger, I think they are all awesome. Man we need to relearn sportsmanship or make it mandatory for all fans, students and alumni.

16. mr. sunshine

mr. sunshine 250+ Posts

17. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Hey - if aggy, swamp aggy, mobile home aggy, or anybody else wants to donate
    money to the State of Texas or UT by purchasing plates and Bevo stickers - have at it fool [​IMG]

18. majorwhiteapples

If not for the Aggies and Oklahoma or college sports us fans of Texas would probably care more about the Cowboys or Texans.

I for one wish that everyone of our opponents would lose just 1 game a year. I cheer for OU and AM and LSU, no if they lose, no skin off my back but I hope the only game they lose all year is to Texas!!

19. Das Mook

Das Mook 250+ Posts

They should allow the out-of-state schools to have the plates but should cost $122, not $22.

Also, there should be a special "fee" added to the cost of each ticket ($10?) whenever 2 out-of-state schools play a regular season game in the state of Texas.

As a small business owner and taxpayer, I generally am not a fan of taxes, fees or additional charges, but when people or groups from outside of Texas want to benefit by being in Texas or marketing to Texans, they should have to pay a little extra.

20. majorwhiteapples

Hey I just appreciate them for spending money renting cars, hotel rooms, food, drinks, shopping etc........ Matter of fact let's lower their ticket prices a little so they have more pocket money to spend.

21. VirginiaLonghorn

VirginiaLonghorn 25+ Posts

The Aggies have enough support in Virginia to have their own tags ... but, not The University.
    The Link

22. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

IF IT'S NOT SCOTTISH, IT'S CRAP.

23. HornInCanton

HornInCanton 250+ Posts

24. jhwutx

jhwutx 100+ Posts

When I first saw one of these, I wondered why the State of Texas needed to accommodate some institution frou out of state.....and then remembered, we need the money!!

Don't like it at all!!

25. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

26. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

27. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

28. dark_arts

dark_arts 25+ Posts

I live in Beaumont, and I see tons of cars with LSU decals here, not to mention cars with Louisiana plates that have the LSU logo on them. I'm surprised I haven't seen any of these plates around here yet. There are a lot of LSU alumni here, but also a lot of t-shirt fans. It used to be that you'd see a lot of aggy t-shirt fans here, but not so much these days.