What March Madness Looked Like The Year You Were Born

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

2. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I had to look it up, but it was a 2 point loss to USC in the last game of the regular season.

4. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

What an amazing run! I once seen an interview with Bobby Knight where he gave Wooden credit for being a great coach but said his records should forever be tainted by the fact that UCLA bought everyone of his teams. He even named the guy (I forget his name) who payed the players. Too lazy to see if Knight is jealous or if he has a genuine point.

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The sky hook. It was all about feeding it inside for the high % shot. Because Alcindor/Jabbar was leaping backwards and shooting with the hand that was away from the bucket, it was almost impossible to block. He shot 63.9% from the field while at UCLA with 26.4 ppg and 15.5 rpg. The slam dunk was (temporarily) outlawed after his sophomore year.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: College stats, best moments, quotes

6. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes UCLA bought players, just like the OU teams with the two longest winning streaks in NCAA history did. All that considered, John Wooden was the greatest coach of all time in any sport. He won with tall teams, short teams, fast teams, slow teams. Whatever was in the cupboard, he put on the court and won. He adjusted his coaching to the talent he had.

Bud Wilkinson was the same way. I got to enjoy seeing Wooden's teams play, but not old enough to have seen the great OU teams.

• Like Like x 1
  8. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Here's mine. We finished 3rd, losing to OU (sucks) in the semis and beating that powerhouse CCNY

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Would that have been Slater Martin & company?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Wow! Holy Cross is the National Champion!

It's interesting to ponder the once great college sports powerhouses, and why some stayed on top and others didn't. I mean Holy Cross--they could have been the Notre Dame of the Eastern Seaboard. But they've obviously faded. CCNY, Fordham, Army, Navy, U. of Chicago--all former sports powerhouses. Rice--relevant, if not a powerhouse.

Holy Cross Athletics - Official Athletics Website

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

12. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Yes, indeed!

13. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

1970--UCLA in midst of its seven straight championships.

• Like Like x 1
  14. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

agree that Wooden was the best hoops coach of all times. Ucla's zone press play havoc in the early days. I believe Keith Erickson at 6'5" was their center and Goodrich was their point. However, it should also be fair to point out the negatives.

1) Wooden would not permit his players, the best in the country, to play in the Olympics. That was before pros were allowed.

2). UCLA should have been penciled into the final 4 before any games were played. Back then, you were seeded in the bracket where your school was located. Believe there were only 16 teams in the tourney. UCLA had to get by that traditional hoops power Weber State to get to the final 4. There was not any other conferences in the west. The most competitive basketball was played in the east coast and the Big 10. The ACC had the first conference tourney and the winner, as today, got the auto seed. However, unlike today, there were no at large slots available. The best team in the ACC did not get a slot many times because they were upset in the conference tourney.

• Like Like x 2
  15. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Showing my age. North Carolina national champions. Texas had a losing season that year.

16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, the kangaroo kid vs Wilt the Stilt.

17. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

The year I was born they had a guy on a step ladder that took the ball out of a wicker basket after a made goal.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

1983. Nc state jimmy V. Enough said.

19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

1954 - Only 24 teams in the tourney. Le Salle beat Bradley 92-76 for the NC.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  20. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

1958: Kentucky beat Seattle.*
    And Temple beat Kansas State in the National Third Place Game (woo hoo)

*Seattle University, a private Jesuit University in Seattle, WA. (I had never heard of them.) Distinguished alumni include Duff McKagan, a founding member of Guns N' Roses.