What will $1,000 a month in Austin get me?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by KingBobo81, Apr 16, 2008.

1. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

I haven't lived by myself in about five years, but might be as of this coming August (yeah, it is a little early, I am just curious). I just wondered if we had any apartment/condo/townhome agents on here. I don't really want to deal with craigslist until I am actually looking. Say I want to live as close to downtown as possible, but not in a ********. I can pay about $1,000, give or take a little, per month - what can that get me?

2. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i pay about $800 downtown but live with 2 other roommates.

you can find a 1bdrm for $1200-1400. craigslist is the best place to look.

3. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

1000 a month will get you something... NEAR downtown, but not IN downtown.

4. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

5. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

look in clarksville, tarrytown, hyde park, lake austin area/enfield, etc. small houses, garage apts, 1/1's would be a great place to start in those areas. stay away from "name brand" apts if you want to stick to that price range.

6. avgatx

avgatx < 25 Posts

Until recently I lived at the Gables Town Lake which took 4 minutes to get downtown (depending on W. 5th Street construction.) It was $1055 for a one bedroom. Nice place, probably not the best value, but the pool is well thought of!

7. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

1k/month will get you a fairly decent place. I know of some apartments off barton springs rd and south first that are 600 sq ft-ish and are under 700. to me, that location, anything along barton springs road and south first, is the ideal location. you dont have the downtown parking crunch, its much more quiet, less than a qrtr mile from town lake.

8. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

1000 dollars a month still goes a long way in Austin. Maybe not in downtown, but like stated above, pretty damn close.

9. hornphil

hornphil 25+ Posts

I live $800 a month near Zilker. My place is only ok, but location is fantastic.

10. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

I have nothing to contribute, other than to say that CaptainEd's sig cracked me up

11. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

Yes that is the best Sig ever

My 1-1 apartment was $320 month in that place behind woodrows in 1995. Cant believe how expensive it is now.

12. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

haha.....glad everyone else is getting a laugh out of it. i could not stop laughing every time i looked at that pic for the first 2-3 weeks after i saw it.

13. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

My buddy and his roommate live in a 2/2 next to Egos on South Congress for $850 a month. Its a dump, and smells like Raid, socks, and pot. My wife refused to join me when I hang out with them.

I feel ten years younger whenever I stop by. [​IMG]