What will it take for Shaka to survive this year?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by horn by commitee, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

I really wish Beard was our coach. Tech plays hard, exceptionally smart, and with a purpose. Solid free throw shooting at the end, they are tough as nails. I think it is fair to say that Tech reflects the personality/philosophy of their coach as do the Horns reflect theirs. I would bet UCLA will be after Beard.

• Like Like x 1
  2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

What if Beard shocks everyone and becomes the Mark Few of Lubbock?

3. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Beards “Texas” clause may help soften the blow of Shakas buyout.

4. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

20 straight years of making the tourney and no natty? Let’s hope not.

5. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

What would be funny would be if Tceh wins it all this year; something even Bobby Knight couldn't do at Lubbock.

Even if the FF is as far as they go, Beard is an example of the vagaries of hiring head coaches in the big 3 sports in college.

Anyone predict 3 years ago that with this resume:
    1991–1995 Texas (assistant)
    1995–1996 Incarnate Word (assistant)
    1996–1997 Abilene Christian (assistant)
    1997–1999 North Texas (assistant)
    1999–2000 Fort Scott CC
    2000–2001 Seminole State JC
    2001–2011 Texas Tech (assoc. HC)*
    2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors
    2012–2013 McMurry
    2013–2015 Angelo State
    2015–2016 Little Rock
    2016–present Texas Tech

that he'd have Texas Tech at Lubbock, Texas in the Final Four within 3 years of his hire?

* with the caveat that this 10-year stint WAS under the mentoring of BK.

Lubbock isn't Chapel Hill or Westwood and I don't think Tech's current roster is flooded with McDonald's AAs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Smart...

8. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Good for Culver and Edwards because they likely would have shown little improvement under Smart and his stand in one spot offense.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Quite frankly if I were a blue chip recruit being recruited by Smart I'd ask him what's happening here with all this talent. Anyone with eyes can see there is zero development going on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. zuckercanyon

Could be a jinx, but pretty early in time at Lubbock and a Final Four....of course, same with Rick Barnes.….Basketball is weird, in that in state players rarely stay in state, so most teams have out of staters…..Beard will probably go for the $ sooner rather than later but it would be cool if he stayed put (like Few) at Tech and made them a constant competitor in the Big 12 and beyond. Texas can go get someone else and do the same...

• Like Like x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you have suggestions or do we go back after another neverwas wannabe and take our chances while grossly overpaying again?

VT is looking for a coach, not that they would be competition. Arkansas will probably throw a lifetime supply of chicken and Murphy gasoline at Sampson, leaving Third Ward looking. Where are other openings?

It's worse than finding a qualified football coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zuckercanyon

It’s just hard to do here in Texas because we’re such a football crazy state. I enjoyed the Penders and Barnes decades but there was always this underlying complaint that 15k don’t show up for UT-Arlington. How do you change that? Maybe the new venue could? I guess I was just sort of showing a “happy for Texas Tech” mindset. We all want it for UT but even Virginia’s coach sort of came from nowhere to the final four but even he managed to lose to a 16 seed as a #1. Similar to finding an Augie replacement a couple of years back, it’s seemingly more difficult to “buy” instant success, even at something Texas is famous for....

13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hogs are going after Sampson

A&M has supposedly already cut a deal with Buzz Williams

15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I f Shaka makes the final game, who knows. If he wins the NIT, then he probably gets a stay of execution for at least a year.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Just delaying the inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Alford might be an upgrade for BYU or Vandy. Can't see him going anywhere else available.

18. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

And it looks like Wasserman is pushing @UCLA to hire Pitino. Fans aghast.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I didn't know Alford was Mormon

20. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Lol. You don’t have to be Mormon to work at BYU.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Since when?

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Couple that with the rumor that he is high on VT's list, and this could be a successful season after all. Pay his new school $2 million a year, and it's Christmas in April.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Generally the "OMG THIS COACH DIDN'T RECRUIT THIS PLAYER WHO IS NOW A STAR" stuff is just crap, but if his assistants really were "pleading", then yeah, that's a problem.

25. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

April Fools

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Don't know about coaching but Jim McMahon was sure as hell no mormon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Players don't have to be, but they do try to convert them. High profile employees must be.

28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

The Shaka issue isn't hard to fix. If Del Conte thinks that Shaka needs to go, all he needs to do is invite him to a sit down and make him an offer he can't refuse. End of problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately Joe here is the conversation:
    CdC: Coach I am the only person on God's green earth that wants you to coach the Longhorns next season so what can I do to help you avoid the indignity of sub-500 attendance at every home game next season?
    Smart: I understand and appreciate the offer. I am owed $12 million plus under my contract so why don't we just round that off to $15 million, and I will be out of this god forsaken state by sun up.
    CdC: Let me call Red.
    CdC: Red do you have a spare $15 million so I can pay Smart to leave.
    Red: I asked your predecessor "when did the University of Texas resort to hiring AAC level coaches?".
    CdC: This is your chance to help me complete my house cleaning. Otherwise you and I will have the Drum to ourselves next season.
    Red: Check or bank transfer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

What about mermen?