Whataburger gravy

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TheFied, Jan 9, 2009.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

If you are a fan of the cream gravy from Whataburger, buy Pioneer Flour Co. "Country Cream Gravy" mix at your grocery store.... A friend of mine works at Pioneer and he told me a couple of years ago that they won the Whataburger account. I didn't think anything of it until my wife bought some of Pioneer gravy mix at HEB recently. Basically just add water and cook on the stove.... I ate it and holy crap it is identical to the gravy that they have at Whataburger.

Now I'm not saying that Whataburger is all that but I have always liked their gravy. My Mom makes cream white gravy for Thanksgiving but this is 10x better (don't tell her I said that) and super easy.

I just ate some tonight and man it's good stuff.

2. Umpus

Umpus 100+ Posts

3. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Try using milk in the Pioneer mix (I use 2%) instead of water, it's even better.

4. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Try making real gravy.

It is one of the easiest things to do in the world.
    That instant stuff is crap.

5. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

We use that gravy for cooking breakfast at church. Water is fine.

TO make it realy good, crisp up some breakfast sausage. We buy the pre-cooked, presliced stuff. Put it in the oven and let it go about 4 or 5 minutes past where you'd normally pull it out. It won't burn, but will be nicely dark. Let it cool for a few minutes in a steel bowl, then crumble it up (I use tongs in the bowl, fingers if it cools enough). Once it's in small crumbles, pour it (and any grease) into the already made gravy. It realy makes a lot of difference.

Another hint, if the gravy is going to sit for a while, add an extra 1/4 cup of water. And follow the directions for premixing it in cold water before adding it to the boiling water. If you do that, no clumps at all and a great gravy.