What's Mack's record VS SEC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hornin Hong Kong, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

2. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

2006 LSU- ULL, Ariz, Tulane, Fresno
    2007 LSU- VT, MTU, Tulane, LaTech
    fair
    2006 Bama- Hawaii, ULM, Duke, FIU
    2007 Bama- WCU, Hou, FSU, ULM
    fair
    2006 Arkie- USC, Utah St, SEMSU, ULM
    2007 Arkie- Troy, UNT, Chatt, FIU
    I'm not seeing any crazy hard OOCs here.
    2006 Auburn- WSU, Buff, Tulane, Ark St (OK, there's a hard one)
    2007 Aub- KSU, USF, NMSU, TennTech
    meh
    2006 MSU- Tulane, UAB, WVU, JacksSt
    2007 MSU- Tulane, Gardner-Webb, UAB, WVU
    meh
    2006 Miss- Memphis, Mizzou, WF, NWSU
    2007 Miss- Memphis, Mizzou, LaTech, NWSU
    meh...where are these tough OOC schedules. I don't see anything better than the worst OOC schedule we've had yet at Texas (last year's), and nothing like 2006 and 2007 when we were playing a team (Buckeyes) that would finish in the top 5.

2006 UGA- WKU, UAB, Col, GT
    2007 UGA- OkSU, WCU, Troy, GT
    fair
    S. Car 2006- Wofford, FAU, MTU, Clem
    S. Car 2007- ULL, SCSU, UNC, Clem
    fair
    2006 Fla- SM, UCF, WCU, FSU
    2007 Fla- WKU, Troy, FAU, FSU
    fair
    2006 Tenn- Cal, USAFA, Marshall, Memph
    2007 Tenn- Cal, SM, Ark St, ULL
    meh
    2006- Vandy- Mich, TennSt, Temple, Duke
    2007 Vandy- Richmond, EMU, Mia (Oh), WF
    meh
    2006 Knt- Louis, TxSt, CMU, ULM
    2007 Kent- EKU, KentSt, Louis, Fau
    double meh

I think we have learned that SEC schools think playing B12 schools OOC (Colorado, Okie St, Mizzou) makes a schedule difficult, and that they all want to play one D-1AA school every year.

3. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

4. whocares2008

whocares2008 100+ Posts

I'll only speak for Arkansas but last year was the first year without a "tough" OOC opponent after a Home and Home 4 year span with USC and Texas. Both teams were national champs in that time frame, FYI.

And once again, we have Texas this year followed by 10 years of A&M.

But for a conference with such a "weak ooc schedule", why does the SEC retain the BCS NC Trophy? Shouldn't they be non qualifiers with such "weak" ooc opponents?

5. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

I notice that it's the Arkansas fans that really spend their time touting the SEC here. It's weird. They're inconsequential in their own conference, and an afterthought to the Texas schools. They're like the guy who comes back to the 20 year HS reunion, trying to impress everybody by pointing out his leased Boxster.

That's great, dude. Nice car.

6. whocares2008

whocares2008 100+ Posts

I would imagine there are more Arkansas fans here, for obvious reasons, so I assume that is why you hear more from them. Would you like some input from Vandy? Georgia?

Furthermore, I find it equally amusing that you throw up strawman arguments anytime a point is made contrary to your preferential way of thinking. Your last post being a perfect example.

7. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Whocares, I really think no one cares. The pigs have been our whipping boy for 70 years, so really why should we take you seriously?

8. whocares2008

whocares2008 100+ Posts

More strawman.....go figure.

You want to discuss the merits of the topics at hand or veer of some more into something you can control?

9. Panama Red

Panama Red 25+ Posts

whocares2008 , Your name says it all!

Get back to me when Bevo pulls his cock out of Petrino's ***...

10. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Strawman? Naw...just not interested in the direction you want to take this. I find the neuroses of disaffected Hog fans a more interesting topic than another rehash of how great the SEC is.

Here's a tip, whocares2008. When the Florida fans are saying, "Nice facilities" after another beatdown of Arkansas, they're just being polite.

11. whocares2008

whocares2008 100+ Posts

Then maybe you should start a thread on it. Otherwise you are simply derailing a thread because you ran out of points to make.

12. ophorn23

ophorn23 100+ Posts

The original topic at hand was Mack's record versus the SEC and which team has the most wins over the past 5 years (presuming he meant in all of D1 football). The sensitive Volunteer and the Razorback have turned this into the usual SEC vs. the world nonsense.

13. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

I've got a point to make. Earlier, you said that Texas' past glories are insignificant. I think I have a good way of comparing programs that takes into account present and past accomplishments. What you do is list a team's top 5 bowl wins in order. You can see a disparity between teams' 5th best bowl wins, and that helps rank programs. Here's an example- let's compare Texas, OU, TAMU, and Arkansas.

Texas
    1. 2006 Rose Bowl (MNC)
    2. 1970 Cotton Bowl (MNC)
    3. 1964 Cotton Bowl (MNC)
    4. 2005 Rose Bowl (finished top 5)
    5. 1982 Cotton Bowl (finished #2)

OU
    1. 2001 Orange (MNC)
    2. 1986 Orange (MNC)
    3. 1976 Orange (MNC)
    4. 1956 Orange (MNC)
    5. 2003 Rose (top 5)

TAMU
    1. 1940 Sugar (MNC)
    2. 1986 Cotton (finished Top 10)
    3. 1988 Cotton
    4. 1968 Cotton
    5. 1941 Cotton
    huh...not quite the same...keep going a couple more spaces and the 1995 Alama Bowl comes up...

Arkansas
    1. 1965 Cotton (MNC, sort of, per some polls)
    2. 1978 Orange
    3. 1968 Sugar
    4. 2000 Cotton
    5. 1985 Holiday

Eye opening...

14. mr. sunshine

mr. sunshine 250+ Posts

15. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

i am not afraid to admit this, I like Neyland Stadium better than DKR. Oh, and I shot it with a paint gun from my office once (department's paint gun) just to needle AstroVol a little bit.

That being said, I also like Mizzou's stadium better, sure it is high-schoolish, but you are close to the action.

All Arky has to go on is the merits of LSU, Auburn, Tennessee or Florida, because they have few accomplishments of their own. And yeah, Arky, remind yourself that your school ran away from Texas.

16. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

17. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

I remember reading somewhere that Georgia had only traveled something like 300 miles in the last 10 years for non conference road games.

The only time they traveled was to Atlanta to play Georgia Tech.

Auburn stepped up last year with the schedule but there were years they wouldn't play a bowl team for something like 4-5 weeks.

Bama, Arkansas, and Tennessee seem to schedule big boys.

18. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

19. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

After going back and reading the comments about facilities, Arkansas actually does have better OVERALL facilities than Texas. DKR is nicer (barely) but the Arky facilities top to bottom are better than most anyone's. I don't know how much the track and baseball stadiums matter in this discussion, though.

The SEC as a whole, though, has awful facilities. Half the football stadiums are nice but when you get past football, they're ghetto. Florida's basketball arena is awful and they've won two national titles recently. So is the rest of the league except Arky and Kentucky. They have some of the worst basketball arenas in the country for a major conference.

20. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

21. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

most division 1 wins last 5 years...

USC - 59
    LSU - 56
    Boise St - 56
    Texas - 54
    Oklahoma - 54
    Ohio St - 52
    Georgia - 51
    Va-Tech - 50
    Auburn - 50

I think those are the only ones that have 50 or more

22. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

How many wins did Arkansas have?

23. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

24. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

Arkansas won 36

2 teams from the Big 12, SEC, and ACC all have an advantage as they get to play an extra game. In addition, teams that travel to Hawaii have an option of playing an extra game. SC didn't even though they traveled to the Island in 2005, still only a normal 13 game schedule (bowl included) However in 2006, Oregon St played 14 games and Washington played 13 regular season games last season.

Why didn't Texas play 14 total games in 2005? I ask only because Oklahoma played 14 in 2003, 2006, and 2007. But not in 2004 even though they played in the Big 12 title game. In 2003, Kansas St actually played 15 games....aside from the Big 12 title game, they also played in the Black Coaches Assoc. game in late August.

25. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

I would liek to point out I dont give a f**k about the SEC or the Big 12 I only care about Texas.

We are undefeated in BCS games boo ya.

26. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

This thread/argument is like wiping your *** with a wagon wheel--there's no end to it.

27. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

This has devolved into just plain silliness.

But yet, as it's the offseason, I find myself....caring about it.

28. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

29. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

30. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit < 25 Posts

lsu has played EVERY SINGLE BCS GAME in NO....

Take the the top 3 teams from the BIG 12 in NCs....

OU has 7 NCs
    NU had 5 NCs
    UT had 4 NCs

=16 NCS

The ENTIRE SEC

=15 NCS

Alabama = 6 NCS (which is what the NCAA recognizes)... If you SEC guys want to count theirs as 12 then I will count every MNC awarded to OU, NU, and UT as well)....