What's the deal with those Crocs shoes?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by El_Guapo, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ThrowittoRoy

ThrowittoRoy 100+ Posts

I think they're hideous and don't own a pair, however I do own a few hundred shares of their stock. ( ticker: CROX )
    I bought it early this year, and have more than doubled my money.
    I hate myself for not buying in 2 years ago. [​IMG]

They've bought several other shoe companies this year, and this jibbitz thing is a goldmine for them.
    "Would you like some jibbitz with your crocs little kid? Yes! Yes! Mommy, can I have the spiderman jibbitz and the race car, and...? Ok. Choose 4 you like. That'll be an extra $2.50 per jibbitz ma'am. Thank you, come again."

I can't tell you how many times I've encouraged people that wear them to buy another pair for them or their kids. "Those shoes are great! Have you been to their site to see the flip flops they carry? You should check them out. I have two pairs of the flip flop kind, and 1 pair of the originals. I love them. You should buy a pair too." [​IMG]

2. ThrowittoRoy

ThrowittoRoy 100+ Posts

Longhorn jibbitz... $2.49 each. A gold mine I tell you.
    [​IMG]

3. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

Not plastic, not rubber.

"crocs™ brand shoes feature crocs'™ proprietary closed-cell resin, croslite™, which represents a substantial innovation in footwear. the croslite™ material enables us to produce soft, comfortable, lightweight, superior-gripping, non-marking and odor resistant shoes. these unique elements make crocs™ footwear ideal for casual wear, as well as for professional and recreational uses. "

I have a pair that I pretty much treat like house shoes (with socks), but I will wear them into a convenience or grocery store or quick errand. I didn't buy them as a fashion statement or to be cool (I'm too old for cool), but for comfort and easy care. My vet wears them and I if I had to stand on concrete or tile floors all day, I'd wear them to work as well.

The things people get all uppity about sometimes. They are major popular, so I guess it's cool to rage and rebel . [​IMG]

4. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

5. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Croc apologist? I apologize to no one for wearing my Crocs. In fact people come up to me and ask about them and how confortable they are. I have probably converted at least 20 people to wearing Crocs in the short time I have been wearing them. They are great fishing shoes too. They do not slip on wet concrete like many other shoes do. I imagine that is another reason why chefs like Mario Batelli and others like them.

6. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

7. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

8. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

One of the true joys of life is being a happily married father in your late 30s. You can wear whatever the the hell makes you comfortable and not give a **** if it looks or is cool.

Levi's jeans, Dockers shorts, Nike athletic shoes, Crocs when possible.

I'll pass on the $200 jeans, etc and still get laid regularly and have unconditional love from my wife, kids and dog.

And, thanks to this thread and upgrayyed, I learned a new term: scrocks

I actually don't like the fad at all. I just hope when the fad dies down, i'll still be able to get them. YOu guys will know me when I'm really old. I'll be the guy wearing khaki shorts, a burnt orange shirt, socks (prob black by then) and crocs. Also, I'll be smiling b/c my feet will be comfortable [​IMG]

9. savvy

savvy 100+ Posts

10. texdude2006

texdude2006 100+ Posts

hmm, the sandals don't look too bad...might have to pick up a pair. My $5 budweiser ones from Kohl's fell apart at San Louis Pass when fishing.

11. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

I'm reviving this thread with contribution #100.... this trendsetter was too good to pass up at a tailgate I passed by today. If you look closely you can see he's wearing longhorn jibbitz (or whatever they're called) to complete the look. I thought immediately of this thread.

[​IMG]

12. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Nice one, wickums - I'm sure that dude believes they're comfortable.

13. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

Oh don't get me wrong... I have one pair, am about to buy a 2nd pair and I LOVE the way they make my feet feel after 3 12 hour shift in a row. I just don't rock 'em with jibbitz and patterned socks with shorts, nor do I think anyone should.

If you're going to wear Crocs you must do so responsibly. [​IMG]

14. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to need royalties if you plan on posting that photo.

15. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

Observations thus far from thread:

1. If you say they don't belong on kids, you don't have kids. Having a shoe that: (a) a 2 year-old can take on and off in under 10 seconds, (b) floats; (c) is indestructible; (d) can be cleaned thoroughly in under 15 seconds; (e) doesn't get smelly; and (f) kids like and will actually wear without being told is the tits.

2. Fat people shouldn't wear them, particularly if you have cankles. They aren't doing anything to slim your cankles.

3. I can only imagine what jobs people have when they way they will wear them to work. Unless you wear scrubs to work, or work in some kind of water-intensive environment (e.g. professional car washer), I don't see them ever being work appropriate. Biz casual doesn't mean "f**k it I will see what I can get away with."

4. Just because you are married doesn't mean you can give up on your personal appearance. Don't be the married guy who got fat, wears jorts, a fanny pack, crocks, and has the $7 haircut. Don't be that guy, because that guy is supposed to be exclusively from Oklahoma, Arkansas, and extreme North Texas.

5. Some of their styles are eminently wearable. I have 3-4 pairs of flip-flops. I wear flip-flops 85% of the time I am not in work attire.

Also, the croc website claims their shoes are made from orthotic material, so I don't understand the "it doesn't provide support" argument.

16. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

17. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

Being that I've never been that guy that wears stuff to awe others, I'm extremely conciencious when I wear something new and find someone staring....with that "oh no he di'unt look.

Anyhow, so I've worn my first set of crocs down to the point that it felt like I was walking on ice anytime I got near something wet. I went to Academy to purchase replacements and noted that my size in the chocolate brown (I'm mex-brown) was out. So I opted for another color...siena. To an untrained male mind, I couldn't even begin to tell you what color that is...but it's a color that falls between regular orange and burnt orange. I got those. No sooner than I put them on...I notice the stares.....I feel like a dummass, but man I'm walking in comfort!!!

18. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

I wore mine to my tailgate, and I don't give a ****... they didn't look too bad with plain short white socks... I work at a Hospital, and they are pretty much the norm... and I'm getting my second pair in chocolate brown as they kick ***... [​IMG]

19. fluff

fluff 25+ Posts

I thought they were ugly too....until I tried them on. Now I wear mine pretty much any time i would have worn flops...They are comfortable as heck...just my .02

20. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Crocs just keep getting cooler...

The Link

Why look like a tool when you can look like a tool and Santa all at the same time?

21. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

22. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

Enablers are dangerous.

They're ugly. As soon as all US Americans realize this, we'll just move on and pretend it never happened.

23. Littlekitty

Littlekitty < 25 Posts

...They look weird... can't they make a prettier shoe... with just as much comfort? The close-toed fuzzy ones dont look too bad though. But yeah, most of them are in kid sizes.

24. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

what page did you find this thread on?

25. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

There are warning signs in the DC Metro about these things. Apparently, they get stuck in the grooves of the escalators and get yanked off your feet.

Risky urban footwear.