What's Trump got against US Mail and Social Security

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Crockett, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Just wow. No "payroll" tax and and employee match? Like Social Security isn't already in a delicate financial balancing act. I know rich conservatives say that people should not depend on Social Security for retirement. I agree, but I think pulling the rug out from under people who count on that to maintain some semblance of a lifestyle is a historically bad idea .... like parking planes wingtip to wingtip at Pearl Harbor bad. "Should" or no, a lot of people are dependent on those SS checks. Letting Trump sabotage Social Security will cost him no friends at Mara Lago or Trump Tower, but he needs to spend some time with old people in Gainesville Texas.

And screwing up the US Postal Service to enhance his election chances? Beyond the pale. The US Mail has been able to handle mail in ballots since the Civil War. Of course, in all that time it never had to face "leadership" anything like that being supplied by the Puffy Prevaricator. I cannot remember a Democratic Presidential nominee less impressive than Joe Biden, but I'm enthusiastically backing him because the alternative is a gangster style, ethically challenged, narcissism blinded nutcase with no respect for the traditions of our country.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    So shoild we not get more money into sversge people's pockets
    Or just borrow more?

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

6721: i promise you that I'm not personally going to stop contributing to my company matched 401k for extra walking around money.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Do we actually need a postal system?

5. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

What is your alternative?

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Do we need lawns, electric lights and television. I guess we could live without them, but it don't want to give them up.

• Like Like x 3
  7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Internet, FedEx, UPS, and pigeons. The only thing I receive in the mail is advertising and The Alcalde - which I cancelled due to the wokeness of the university.

8. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I've never used the internet mailing service....does it work well?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    That is smart and glad you are in a position to do it.
    I guess the questions are
    Do average people need more money now due to ramifications of lockdown?
    Where should the money come from?

10. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

You have never used email?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Tell me one thing you receive via USPS that cannot come electronically.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'm spending a lot less, working from home. ... No concerts, health club, air travel, office clothes, restaurant lunches. The people who are Working by and large aren't needing extra money. I'm not doing many side gigs, but I'm not having trouble meeting expenses. Even if I were, funding retirement is a very high priority use of money.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Birthday cards, wedding invitations, checks from people who owe me money, bills from people I owe money to. Even payments I make through online bill pay end up as mailed checks. Billions of transactions go through the US mail. Plus, the kind of folks who live off Social Security often don't have the internet or even a smart phone.

14. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Every one of things can be done electronically. It’s the difference between a need and a want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah. Cave men lived without daily mail service. But our economy and way of life would be much diminished without it.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    You seem like you are doing all the right things
    Do you think people affected by the lockdown need more money from fed?

Where should it come from?

17. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I collect sports memorabilia.... all of it comes USPS...if they could send me an autographed jersey through my laptop I'm in!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'm sure people who are not working need the money. Payroll taxes come from people who are working and not collecting the tax thwarts retirement savings only for people who are drawing paychecks and for the most part can afford it. How wrongheaded is that? It's bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

LOL Will
    Ever heard of UPS? Fed ex?
    You are reaching on that one

20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

FedEx and UPS can deliver I think.

21. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    Not wrong headed at all. It is a deferment not a complete stop
    When we get the economy back at good employment more money will go back in payroll taxes
    If we borrow we pay interest on it and we owe so much now it will fall to our grandchildren
    There is NO good easy answer but it seems deferring payroll taxes for a time is a better business decision

23. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Margains are very short in the collector business and UPS and FEDEX are too expensive. I've been doing it for 30 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Why should tax payers subsidize your hobby?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

SO does your internet mailing system from what I understand.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I dont get the **** for free....

27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

iis
    Think Will will answer your question?

28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The USPS is not equipped for a sudden decision to try and make the entire election one with mailed ballots. The States that use absentee voting by mail do so upon request by the voter and these are limited in volume.

Texas gives SEVENTEEN days of early voting according to the schedule for this election cycle. That is seven days a week, twelve hours per day for two and a half weeks. Explain again why people cannot go and spend more time signing the roll than they will in the electronic booth (as in, you will be in and out in a matter of minutes unless you were stupid enough to wait until the last afternoon of the early voting period)...

Trying to force a mail-in system at the eleventh hour is pure stupidity and has also been demonstrated in multiple jurisdictions to be rife with many different problems, to include fraud. Having an ineffective system such as the USPS involved just magnifies matters and problems.

In Houston, we STILL have not seen service restored to pre-Harvey levels as well as the event that caused serious damage to the North Houston Sort Center. I've had letters to clients in Navasota that would have arrived sooner if I had contracted an old person on a walker to hand-carry the item.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

30. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

i already did