What's Trump got against US Mail and Social Security

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Crockett, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I know nothing about either counties. Is one more populated? Is Denton easier to get polling volunteers because its "safer"? Does Denton have more polling stations? Is a wealthier area that affords the average voter the convenience of being more flexible with their schedule? All of those factors are at least more likely as that biased opinion.

Access to a polling station shouldn't be a political tool. 6 states have successfully used mail-in voting for years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Your not making the point that everyone else here is screaming about. All I have heard is "private carriers can do it better than the USPS...."
    I agree that they are mismanaged.

3. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

USPS is also required to be in every town and deliver 6 days a week to every household on those 6 days. If UPS or Fedex has an office that doesn’t make money they can close it. That is why they don’t exist in smaller towns. The PO is required to be there and bleed out the money....

4. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

This thread is making me go postal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Dallas is about three times as big as Denton. I do not know which one has more polling locations or more per capita. Denton is wealthier in terms of median household income, but I wouldn't call it "lilly-white rich suburban." It has significant areas that are pretty poor. It is fairly diverse in terms of socioeconomic status.

Is my opinion biased? I suppose, and I could be wrong. However, Dallas County is well-known for corruption like most big urban areas are. Denton County is less so. And like I mentioned to Monahorns, I don't view it as an ideological or political matter as much as it's an urban problem. Urban governments tend to be sleazy regardless of the political affiliation of those in charge. That has been true pretty much as long as we've had clearly defined urban areas.

It shouldn't be a political tool, but that doesn't mean that every inconvenience in voting is the fault of some big, bad Republican. Dallas County is a Democratic county and has been since 2006. They run their own elections.

As for voting by mail, 6 states may have decided to do that, but far more have chosen not to. And they have their reasons.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's war

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Why is that? For my education, do you know of some examples of urban Republican areas that were very corrupt?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Voter fraud in Jersey so bad a judge ordered a new election

A judge has ruled that a new election will be held in November for a disputed Paterson City Council seat, just weeks after the race's apparent winner and a sitting councilman were charged with voter fraud.

State Superior Court Judge Ernest Caposela issued his ruling Wednesday.

Alex Mendez had won a special election on May 12 to fill the seat, but claims of voter fraud were soon raised. An investigation was then launched after the U.S. Postal Service's law enforcement arm told the state attorney general's office about hundreds of mail-in ballots located in a mailbox in Paterson, along with more found in nearby Haledon.

Ultimately, the Passaic County Board of Elections decided not to count 800 ballots cast in the race.

Paterson, NJ, to hold new election in City Council race marred by voter fraud charges

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

No Joe I am sure you are wrong
    Just this week a leftist poster assured us the incidences of fraud are very very low. Not enough for a new election
    It might even have been someone from NJ

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That is a typical position. They just wholly ignore inconvenient facts. And if all they ever do is look at the NYT/WAPO and/or watch CNN/MSNBC then the willful ignorance is reinforced. It's amazing to watch, reminds me of the behavior of a 6 year old.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Surely by now someone has done a study to see when people actually show up to vote. My gut tells me that all of these places that seem to have these long lines on election day are because these people have waited until the 11th hour. And then want to blame everyone and everything else because they didn't have the forethought to go a week early. I'd be willing to bet that most of these places have next to zero lines during the afforded early-voting period.

Voting is the One-thing in this country that we should go the extra mile to ensure accuracy. There are too many places in this country where 2% makes the difference in W-L. So a lack of "widespread fraud" is not the standard that we should be targeting. Zero fraud is the standard for this important activity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  15. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

16. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

So does going to WalMart but millions of people do it everyday

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

It also carries the risk of dying in a car wreck on the way or getting hit by lightening if it's storming or getting pulled over and killed by a cop (only for non whites) or having a heart attack on the way. The risk of getting covid via voting is lower than all of the above risks.

I work in a grocery store with 550 employees who serve 31,000 customers per week which has resulted in millions of random close contact interactions since covid started. We've had a total of 14 positive cases with all of them being confirmed contracted in a personal family or social function with zero precautions. Mail in voting is not necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So does going outside but, if you can believe it, people do that every day too

50 Americans are killed each year by lightning alone
    Source Flash Facts About Lightning
    -- The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.
    -- Lightning can kill people (3,696 deaths were recorded in the U.S. between 1959 and 2003) or cause cardiac arrest. Injuries range from severe burns and permanent brain damage to memory loss and personality change. About 10 percent of lightning-stroke victims are killed, and 70 percent suffer serious long-term effects. About 400 people survive lightning strokes in the U.S. each year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Driving on the freeway is more risk than COVID. Getting hit by an asteroid is now more likely than dieing from COVID.

BUT COOOOOOVVVVVIIIIDDD!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

Living is a risk-but the point is minimizing risk. So, voting by mail is no riskier than voting in person?

21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

If living is a risk, then life is not about minimizing risk. It is about assessing risk and making personal choices.

If the point is to minimize risk, then history would look much different. I suspect your life would look much different. COVID is one of hundreds of risks or more, and a minor compared to many more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Voting is local. The understaffed drivers license offices is a state issue. Every once in a while you have to go in and you better not expect to get it handled in an hour.

23. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I am currently watching CSPANs coverage of questioning of Louis DeJoy. It should be legal for the person being questioned to get up and smack a congressman or congresswoman in the face for stupid questioning. DeJoy should just walk up to Rep Jim Cooper (D-Tenn) and smack him in the mouth. The Democrats are not even asking questions about the post office problems (go figure)

Rep James Raskin (D-NY) needs smacked harder (after Copper)

Complete baseless questioning

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Seems like a lot

"More than 500,000 mail ballots were rejected in the primaries"

More than 534,000 mail ballots were rejected during primaries across 23 states this year — nearly a quarter in key battlegrounds for the fall — illustrating how missed delivery deadlines, inadvertent mistakes and uneven enforcement of the rules could disenfranchise voters and affect the outcome of the presidential election.

The rates of rejection, which in some states exceeded those of other recent elections, could make a difference in the fall if the White House contest is decided by a close margin, as it was in 2016, when Donald Trump won Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by roughly 80,000 votes.

This year, according to a tally by The Washington Post, election officials in those three states tossed out more than 60,480 ballots just during primaries, which saw significantly lower voter turnout than what is expected in the general election. The rejection figures include ballots that arrived too late to be counted or were invalidated for another reason, including voter error.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...7fbe92-db3d-11ea-809e-b8be57ba616e_story.html

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Cooper is the brother of the idiot running Nashville into the ground. I would like to punch his brother. His brother recently hired top aides with ties to his brother. Corruption seems abundant here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Funny, he tried to drill DeJoy about his contributions to Trump adn asked if he paid off top executives in his company to play hush hush. He needs a good old fashion throttling.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A dead cat got a voter registration application package in mail

Ron Tims said he checked his mail Wednesday and found a voter registration application addressed to Cody Tims — his cat, who died 12 years ago.

“A great cat, indoor and outdoor, loved his family, loved his neighborhood. He was 18 and a half when he passed away,” Carol Tims told WAGA-TV.

Deceased cat gets voter registration application in mail | WSAV-TV

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

serious question to a stupid event, how in the h*** does that happen?

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Sec of State said it was not from them. They say "third parties" are sending these packages out.

As to the cat specifically, they are probably using computers and algorithms to cull names from newspapers and public notices. So perhaps the death of the cat was noted in a local weekly paper? (I dont know why this would happen, but I suppose its possible if he was a well-loved cat. Or, perhaps the cat got mailings from the vet addressed to it? But even if this is the reason, they were still sending out a package to (1) a name they knew to be dead, (2) dead for 12 years, and (3) known to be an animal

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

We should be very afraid. Dems are serious about stealing this election

• Agree Agree x 3