What's Up with Hager?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by slowrider, Oct 31, 2016.

1. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He apologized and it was published. Poor choice of words from a passionate young guy who plays a violent game.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Much ado about nothing.

4. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

He better make sure he keeps his helmet on at all times. All kinds of things fly out of the stands at Lubbock.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Those who've played defense understand it's a common mentality when facing a key offensive player (QB, RB, WR) with a nagging injury.

I can remember two games the dangerous RB had a known ankle issue and the whole def targeted his legs as much as possible to tweak it.

So happened both were knocked out of game before halftime after high production to that point. Positive we'd have lost one if not both without the injury.

It would be foolish not to make the injury a focus point of a guy who's high performance will hurt your chances of winning.

He took his injury into a full contact sport, as long as the hits are legal it's fair game.

Now the key difference is you can target it, even talk about doing so behind closed doors, but saying it publicly is clearly understood as off limits.

• Like Like x 1
  6. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Just imagine the position he put himself and the coaching staff in if a hit he delivers actually takes Mahomes out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I watched this movie idk how many times as a kid with my older bothers and his teammates. Best days ever hanging with the older guys. They killed my butt in everything didn't take it easy on me at all that's actually how I got my nickname. I always complain and told them that I was like 5 years younger than them take it easy lol that and I was small like eazy e but talked a lot of crap cuz I had these big guys watching my back

• Like Like x 3
  8. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

As a former DL in high school I can relate to this thought but hell I thought it was my duty to take one out anytime I got the chance (legally).....that being said I guess I'm too old school.....do your lippin after the game when you (hopefully) got something to lip about!

• Like Like x 2
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That's his passion for the game coming out. I understand what he meant. We always tried to knock the snot out of the opposition legally, not cheap shots.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

He talks like he plays, with reckless abandon, no filter, lots of upside and lots of mistakes. Hopefully he will avoid interviews or learn "sports-speak" like, "Yeah he's a great player. He will get his yards and we can only hope to contain him and come out with a win".

• Like Like x 3
  11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yeah but then we will all be on here saying this is why we are so soft because we talk that way. :p

• Like Like x 2
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

WOW how times change. One of the greatest tributes ever paid to The University of Texas was penned in Sports Illustrated (back when it was a credible magazine) by a member of the 1964 Alabama football team. The article was printed several years after that season. He made two points in the article:

1) The sting of losing the game and the National Championship in The Orange Bowl.

2) The bigger point and the essence of the article was about THE CLASS DISPLAYED BY DARRELL ROYAL AND THE TEXAS LONGHORNS! Joe Namath played with a bad wheel and was on the verge of a record setting bidding war between the NFL and AFL for his services. The player went into detail about the numerous opportunities the Texas defense had to take Namath out, but NEVER ONCE in the game did any Texas defender hit Namath below the waist. The players knew and respected the talent of Namath, yet refused to further damage his leg. The writer said that he, as well as his teammates would never forget that gesture and class shown by DKR and The University of Texas Longhorns. Still one of the great wins in Texas history.

• Like Like x 4
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I remember that Sabre. I remember my Dad talking about how the linemen charged him (Namath) with their hands up to block the passes as opposed to going for the knees.

14. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  15. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Give me more of that. Isn't honesty refreshing?

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Slowrider,

You are obviously not familiar with the reason that Mayfield left The High Plains. Considering the circumstances, I find some humor in the chant, particularly from Tech students.

17. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

I am very familiar with the reason he left and all of the dialogue that has occurred since even to the point of ad nauseum. And I realize that Baker's personality makes him a lightening rod for opposing fan bases. My point was that Hager will probably get the same treatment based on his reckless statement and in my opinion it will be equally classless.

Call me old fashion but I will never accept a crowd shouting the F-bomb in unison directed toward a player or team as part of the college game. The TCU students chanted F*** OU when the team took the field in 2014 and I had my 12 year old son with me. So much for the family atmosphere.

You may think it's funny but we can agree to disagree on this. I realize I am probably in the minority.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Slowrider,

Perhaps I should have said "ironic" rather than funny. I agree with your comments. Sloppy drunks and public vulgarity are the main reasons I quit going to pro sporting events; well that and the fact that Houston sports teams are pathetically managed and run and have been for many years - at least the Astros have improved since McLane sold them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I thought Kellen Winslow Jr got roasted more than he should have when he did his whole "soldier" thing.

Opponents/media do it everywhere they can. It's the politics of competition.

If the media asked him, "do you mean something like breaking his ankle or causing a concussion?" he would have immediately clarified, "oh, no. i mean hit him hard enough that he is scared every play."

Much ado about nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We know it's a very poor choice of words in this day and age. That's the world we live in. He's also a very young man and I recall saying and doing a lot of things back in the day that I'd like a do-over on. Hopefully he plays a clean game and nothing will happen.

• Like Like x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I remember Diggs knocking Mahomes into next week one game.
    I hope Hager gets a chance to do the same this week.
    Just like we did Baylor's QB last year.
    Nothing dirty.
    Just a clean hard hit.

• Like Like x 1
  22. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Kiki De Ayla, one of my favorite Horns ever. Maybe Hager will have Kubiak moment Saturday. I remember aggie getting mad, but they couldn't seem to remember the knee shot on Marty Akins.

• Like Like x 2
  23. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Or another REALLY cheap shot to the back of a knee from Derrick Dorris to LB Anthony Hicks..
    The worst cheap shot I think these eyes have ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NR,

Worst cheap shot in Texas history was TCU on Kenneth Sims, then the two ******** stood there and laughed.

• Like Like x 1
  25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Was it TTech that took out our TEs knee one year?
    No. it was Rice and Blaine Irby.
    Cheap freaking shot.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't remember that play being a cheap shot, just a smaller guy going low on a bigger guy because if he goes high he gets blasted to oblivion. I could be wrong, but seeing that replay once was quite good enough for me (since at the stadium watching live I couldn't tell much of anything about how it happened) and I don't care to watch it again.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, the Irby thing wasn't cheap, just got hit right when he was planted and the knee had nowhere to go.

• Like Like x 1
  28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

how about a Sergio Kindle/Taylor Potts channeling?

• Like Like x 1
  29. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

The classic of all hits on a tt player:

• Like Like x 3
  30. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

This needs a bump to the top. Hager did not record many stats Saturday, but he had a great game. Since we only sent 3 after the QB most of the game, he was often double teamed and still affected Mahomes on lots of throws. His motor never quit and he often flushed Mahomes from the pocket or at the very least disrupted the play.

All this knowing that a sack or QB hit was very unlikely because of the double team. He still never stopped. I love his passion for the game.

:hookem:

• Like Like x 1