What's up with Mexican music?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by A. BETTIK, Jun 1, 2008.

1. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Where did that out of tune waltz accordian oompa music crap come from? Every time I hear it I visualize tubas, trombones and green lederhosen. I don't hear anything like that coming out of Chile, Puerto Rico or Brasil.

Other Mexican music is tolorable, but then again I don't get to hear any of it from other cars rear window adorned with Spanish surnames in Old English lettering while my windows are rolled up.

2. Mageeman

Mageeman 100+ Posts

That's because it came from Texas and Northern Mexico. Its a mix of traditional German and Mexican music.

3. El_Oso

El_Oso 500+ Posts

and nowadays they're dying because of it.

el linko

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I take it you don't like it. I wonder what some of them may think about your music, or mine for that matter? But it is correct about various cultures colliding. It can be quite fun if you open your mind. Not that you have to like it, just that the people and experience of a live event can be fun and tremendous people watching.

5. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Maybe you should listen to something besides Michael Bolton.

6. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

You talking 'bout tejano or norteno music? To answer, does the music you're referring to have a tuba and/or clarinet sound? Does it have about 30 band members all dancing in unison with roach stompers and the same outfit? Thats not the stuff I grew up on, that's norteno music. Can't stand it, but around the Austin area, Tejano music died on the airwaves a couple of years ago and all you get is norteno music.

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Not an expert, but it is like Tex-Mex food, a fusion of cultures. There are many styles in music, just like in cooking.
    The accordion and tuba were German influences on the style of music you are hearing, and that's why they seem so similar.
    If you like that style, the Texas Accordion Kings is a music festival that moves around the state, and showcases German bands, Mexican (ala Flaco Jaminez), Czech, American country music, which all feature similar but different waltzes, polkas, and fun music played as part of weddings, Texas country music dance halls, and Mexican music dances.
    Fun to listen to and dance to if you can get into it.

8. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I like it.

Makes me want to drink beer.

9. BoogityBoy

BoogityBoy 250+ Posts

I love it. It makes me want to put a big-*** decal of my last name on the back of my dubbed out truck.

10. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

It's polka with stolen instruments

11. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

What's "Mexican Music"? Makes no sense. It wold be like me asking, what's up with "American" music?

Sorry to jump down your throat, it just annoys me when people don't take the time to educate themselves with different genres and what they're called.

12. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

Needs more cowbell.

13. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

german immigrants; also responsible for dos equis and such. bless their little drunken, bratwurst-eatin' hearts

14. OdphiLonghorn

OdphiLonghorn < 25 Posts

you're talking about duranguense and banda, which is from the northern part of Mexico...this type of music focuses on brass instruments and woodwinds...i like some songs but generally not my cup of tea..

the other is norteño, which has the traditional drums, bass, 12 string guitar and the accordion...i like this one much better

15. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

That Mexican music, it all sounds the same, you know what I mean?

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

No accuratehorn, I don't know what you mean.

17. OrangEngr

OrangEngr 25+ Posts

18. Remove Rowdy

Remove Rowdy 100+ Posts

I do know that it must be played at Level 11 with the windows down.

19. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

20. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

21. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

Don Santiago Jimenez pwns Flaco. In fact, Don Santiago is his daddy.

22. Tejano@UT

Tejano@UT 250+ Posts

Well, I don't like it, but only because it usually indicated that it was time to clean the house, do auto maintenance, or some other random home project.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Has anyone else ever played the corazón counter drinking game?

24. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts