What's your favorite movie?

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by ferrariparty, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ferrariparty

ferrariparty 250+ Posts

I'd have to go with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Classic, sets the standard for the action adventure film genre. Just a fun movie overall, with possibly the biggest badass of all time as the protagonist.

2. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Godfather. The 1st one. The 2nd is a classic but the 1st is the best IMHO and my favorite movie. Die Hard is #2.

3. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

I can't say one favorite

I'll give you 5.

Shawshank Redemption
    Cool Hand Luke
    The Out of Towners (Original)
    In The Heat of the Night
    Splendor in the Grass

4. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

This always makes people roll their eyes, but my favorite move of ever is The Lion King. And there's a reason.

When it came out in 1994, I had just been laid off for the fourth time in five years. As a communicator, I was always viewed as expendable because communicators are not considered to be directly in the money-making chain. Add to that that I was always the last hired. So I was the first to be let go.

The previous three layoffs, I was always able to find a job that was in line with my experience and abilities. But this fourth time -- I just couldn't find a job. I went on unemployment for the first time, and I really felt bad about myself. I started thinking of myself as worthless and had pretty much resigned myself to that fact that I was never going to amount of much of anything.

I had begun to question why I was alive. Through my eyes, I had little to live for.

Then I went to see The Lion King. (My husband was the amusements editor at our local paper and he got free movie passes.) It changed my life.

When Mufasa's spirit tells Simba, "You are more than what you have become. Remember who you are," it was like Mufasa was talking to me. I had gotten so down on myself and saw so few redeeming qualities, it was like the kick in the backside I needed.

I felt so much better about myself after that, bcause I was able to see that I DID have worth as a person, that my accomplishments spoke for themselves, and that I had a lot to live for. And that's why The Lion King is my favorite movie.

5. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

^
    Tough one to follow. Jaws. Only movie I can watch over and over again and never get tired of (Shawshank is a close second).

6. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Lives of Others.

It won the "Best Foreign Film" academy award a couple of years ago. If you haven't seen it, DO SO!

Rent it!

It will blow you away.

7. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

8. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

Star Wars. Pick one.

9. mr. sunshine

mr. sunshine 250+ Posts

Godfather II. I love the Godfather, but the sequel expands on it so much. Plus its got De Niro.

10. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

The Lion King is good because it's Hamlet. Give Shakespeare the credit for that one, not Disney.

My favorite is Saint Ralph.

11. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Great post, Texanne.

Although I wouldn't call it my favorite movie, "Orphans" had a similar impact on me at a similar time in life. Albert Finney, a gangster on the run, becomes a father figure to two homeless, street boys. It was like he was talking to me as a boy. "Come here for some encouragement,"

It went straight to my heart.

I think in terms of groups of favorite movies.

The Paul Newman Group is Hud, Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler and Hombre.

The Stanley Kubrick group is led by 2001, Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket.

The action adventure group would be The Wind and the Lion and The Man Who Would Be King.

Maybe Hud is my favorite movie because it has meant different things to me as I have watched at different times in life. Interestingly, it surpasses the book even though the author worked on the screenplay.

All these movies, except Orphans, are movies I've watched many times.

12. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Jury Duty.

13. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

Orphans is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen...
    Matthew Modine was fantastic.

14. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Hard to say just 1. But my short list would be

GoodFellas
    Cool Hand Luke
    God Father ll
    Caddyshack
    Anchorman
    Full Metal Jacket

15. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Pride and Prejudice-- the old A&E version.

Dr. Zhivago

Quills

16. sportswriter

sportswriter 100+ Posts

Hoosiers. Just watched it again this morning before work.

17. kmac30

kmac30 500+ Posts

casablanca. i watch it all the time.

18. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Would you guys say that you have a different opinion as to what is the BEST movie you've ever seen as opposed to what is your
    FAVORITE movie?

19. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Bevo I,

Absolutely! There is a HUGE difference between favorite and best. IMO, the best movie ever made was The Godfather, but it comes in second on my list.

20. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I love the Godfather, but have a hard time getting over the fakeness of the fight scene between Sonny and Carlo. I know, I know: Gianni Russo actually suffered broken ribs in that scene. Nevertheless, I watched it again just recently and it is just beyond lame.

21. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Tough call, but I always like to see people's reaction to A Boy and His Dog.

They always think it's going to be a sweet little feel-good movie.

22. hookemshane

hookemshane 25+ Posts

1 Saving Private Ryan 2 Stepbrothers

23. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

24. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Short list:
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Station Agent
    Godfather 1&2
    In Harms Way
    Gandhi

25. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

'Blood Simple'
    'The Big Lebowski'
    'El Mariachi'

[​IMG]

26. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

Godfather II and LA Confidential

27. Mistadobalina

Mistadobalina 100+ Posts

The Princess Bride

Pirates, swords, castles, pit of despair, Andres the Giant, ROUS's, Fireswamp, Iocaine powder, Fred Savage. Unbeatable entertainment. I laugh hysterically every time I see it and end up with a smile on my face at the end.

28. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

Roma... here's the trailer...
    If you don't want to know what it's about beforehand, don't watch it.
    The Link

29. White Castle

White Castle 100+ Posts

Usual Suspects

30. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

Glory.

Others:

Savings Private Ryan
    Shawshank Redemption
    Schindler's List
    Dances With Wolves