Wheeler to Texas

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by FBTxEx, Jan 2, 2015.

1. FBTxEx

FBTxEx 25+ Posts

2. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Sweet get from the Stoops boys!

[​IMG]

3. SportsICT

SportsICT 500+ Posts

#LetsRide!!! The defense is going to be one nasty group! [​IMG]

4. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to UT, Anthony! [​IMG]

Stories about his commitment are up on Orangebloods and Inside Texas.

5. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

6. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

4-star MLB out of Dallas skyline. Nationally at #89 in ESPN, #125 in scouts, #238 in Rivals. 247sports Mods say he is being re-ranked because they had him under ILB and he is supposed to move up to 4-star at the MLB spot. Count him as a national top-150 player, though his ratings are all over the place.

This guy was thought to be 100% to OU for months, mainly because the OU recruiting reporters kept saying it and the Texas recruiting gurus actually don't have much clue what Charlie is up to [​IMG] .... That was till this week when Deshon Elliottt roomed with him at the Under-armor all-star game and said yesterday that he thought Wheeler was ours. Malik was on him all week too.

This completes our LB class which will easily be the best in the nation with 5-star Jefferson, 4-star Cherry, 4-star Townsend and 4-star Wheeler (there is also Breklyn hager at LB but he may possibly move to DE). WOW. Charlie [​IMG]

So we hooked a very good one away from Stoops. Sucks for OU, but they are used to sucking.

Also remember that he is team-mates with 4-star national top-150 WR Carlos Strickland at Dallas Skyline. This guy will be in his ear to get him to switch from Tech to us... Not bad at all.

Recruiting is going great.

7. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Four to Go !!!! Boyd, Irvin, Hill, Mack ...
    (image copied from twitter a while back... white circles Photoshopped)

[​IMG]

8. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

^^^ Pretty much counting on Irvin tomorrow, so you will have one more circle to do soon [​IMG]

9. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

He's a keeper! [​IMG]

10. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

UA game live just now... ESPN Recruiting Nation ratings

shows Texas #9 in recruiting class
    posted right after Kendall Sheffield (a top player in Texas) announced he's going to Alabama

Bama
    Fl St
    GA
    Clemson
    tOSU
    Tenn
    A&M
    USC
    Texas #9
    Auburn

[​IMG]

11. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Gonna keep climbing for "Chuck" and his Horns!
    How you like me now?

[​IMG]

12. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Daylon mack had a texags sticker on his shoulder pads. I dont know if that means anything. Sure would like him in burnt orangem

13. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

#9 is just the HS recruiting and I think we keep going up as we get Irvin and hopefully Daylon Mack sometime later in the month. We've done pretty well with the JUCO route too. Our team has been transformed over the last few weeks. [​IMG]

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Exciting news. Thanks for the updates! [​IMG]

15. Garydee

Garydee < 25 Posts

Wheeler is built like a He-Man action figure. I wouldn't be surprised if he grows into a DE.

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

17. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Also of note, the guy has not even made an official visit to Texas and hasn't had an in-home visit from our coaches either. But he has made some visits to campus for camps and games on his own. But the family was totally sold. I have almost never seen such things happen without any in-home visits. But then which parents wouldn't want Charlie to take over their kid, really?

All year I was seeing snide remarks from so many Texas "fans" that Charlie will piss off all the recruits with his "stay in the dorm" discipline and "core values". Nowhere else but among the Texas fanbase do we see anybody thinking like that. Some fans we have! So far, not a hint of that affecting any player, despite all the negative recruiting aggy and others try about Charlie and his discipline. Hope our fanbase is beginning to understand that they have got a coach of some substance that he can sell, while the fanbase keeps on going blah-blah about Watson, Watson, Watson, spread, spread, spread. Just give him some time to set things up the way he promises to do. Build a team of players who want tio play and build some depth first. In year 2 or 3 we can start talking of things like OC and intangibles in winning games and all that.

It's funny in a way. The usual thing is that the fanbase is all sold on the coaches and the Univs and want the recruits and parents to think the same way. Here the recruits and parents are much bigger believers who are effectively telling the fanbase to just shut the hell up and watch.

18. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Amen, JK, Amen! [​IMG]

19. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Latest recruiting team rankings from scout.com.

1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. FSU
    4. Tennessee
    5. Ohio State
    6. Texas
    7. Texas A&M

BOOM, M-----------S!!! (to quote our beloved old HCIW)

20. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I'll second that Amen.

21. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

We are #10 on 247, and #11 on ESPN and Rivals, with more to come tomorrow.

S Tim Irvin and TE Devonaire Clarington are the expected commits tomorrow. Both 4-stars and Clarington a top-125 kind. 2 more of the "Florida Five" which would make it 4/4 (the 5th one is supposedly a silent commit already, WR Gilbert Johnson). We should get at least one of the two but a 60-75% chance for both.

22. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Thanks for your posts, Jay. All of 'em. The above summary ("Also of note..." ) is exceptional. Well stated.
    [​IMG]

23. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

^^^ You're welcome. Wife and family are abroad and I had time to kill this whole week, so just doing my bit to brighten up everybody's holidays [​IMG]

24. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

26. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Welcome to the 40 Acres and the Longhorn family.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks like Charlie may add LBU, Linebacker University, to the DBU reputation. And the DL ain't too bad, either.

27. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

28. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

Congratulations to Coach Strong.

His strategy/philosophy of recruiting is attracting superior talent now and markedly improving his 2015 class.

29. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

OB report on it (no $$ required)OB on Wheeler

I like this....

30. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Just fixing the link error on the OB article -The Link