When did birthday parties become a big deal?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by TheFied, Apr 15, 2009.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I am in my early 30s and we have a 7 week old baby boy (our 1st).

At what point did birthday parties for kids turn into big deals?

I have a ton of pictures of my childhood and I only have 1 picture that appears to be a big birthday party. There are some pictures where it is just me, my sister and 1 of my neighbor friends for my birthday. And another where it is me, my sister and one of my cousins at my Aunt's house visiting with my family. I don't see all of my cousins at these birthday parties, I don't see all of my aunt and uncles there either.

One of my neighbors had a birthday party for his 3 year old girl and rented a tractor/train that drove around the neighborhood. Another neighbor rented a ($500? I have no idea how much) bouncy-castle. Another one rented a pony. Two of our friends just invited us to birthday parties for their 1 year old (different kids) and they said they are expecting about 20 people. But the 1 year old doesn't know what is going on. This is for the parents, no?

And every time one of my cousin's has a birthday party for one of her 2 boys (age 4 & 6), there are like 30 people at the house. If not more.

When did this start? I don't remember having birthday parties with 20 people at them nor going to buddy's houses for birthday parties that were huge.

For our little one, our plan come next year is to have our parents over and that's it. Not my sister and her 2 sons, not my cousins and their kids, not my wife's sister, and not my friends and their kids. Just our parents, burgers and a cake. Is that wrong?

If you want to do a big party, that's fine by me but when did big parties become the norm?

You know what though -> despite me not having huge birthday parties, I think my Mom is going to be hurt that I am not inviting my sister and all of my cousins. It's like all this changing has changed her......

2. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    When I was growing up B-days were HUGE
    family affairs. Of course, so were all holidays.

Three houses from mine were my aunt, uncle and five cousins. Two more houses down were my grandparents. Gatherings were easy...and expected. One thing I will say is the cakes were always the best. My grandmother couldn't be beat when it came to desserts.

[​IMG]

3. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I wonder how much the timing of my birthday played into it. My birthday was 2 days before my sisters.

4. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Listen, I'm with you and have been for many years. I can't recall any birthdays of mine or my friends going to the same extents that I see families going to today.

Forgive me but it is INSANE to have a huge bash for a freakin' one year old or really up to age 4. It seems now more for the parents to show off rather than honor the child.

I don't get it.

5. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

If you're having a huge family affair for a 1 year old birthday, then it's just a reason to get the family together and see the baby. Think, cook-out/bbq with cake and wrapping paper.

If you're having an elaborate birthday party for a 5 year-old with ponies, fireworks, and Chinese acrobats, then you're just showing off.

6. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

There was a great episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show that dealt with this very thing. Laura wanted to spend a lot of money for Richie's party at a special party place because that's what the other parents did. Rob felt that birthday parties were getting out of hand and wanted to have the party at home. Naturally, it blew up in his face.

And this was about 1962.

7. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

8. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

9. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

I think every kid should have one big birthday party. But only one. No need to do it every year. And it should be before they're 14. at 16 your big birthday party should be at them DMV. At 18 it should be somewhere without your parent.

Now, I'm lucky. My birthday is Sept 6th. My GF is Sept 3. So we celebrate ours Labor day weekend. Usually the celebration is centered around the biginning of football season, so we have a real reason to celebrate

10. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

When they're 5-6 years old, they get to stuff their faces on cake and ice cream and play all day.
    Mine had moderately sized parties till she got older. Last week she turned 14. We made a nice dinner for her, as in whatever the heck she wanted to eat, and we watched a movie.

11. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I grew up, went to school with, and am friends with a lot of mexicans.

in that culture, when the kid turns 2 or 3 you throw a kegger.

those cats know how to have a good time.

12. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

13. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

Up to at least the age of 5, a kid's not going to even remember a birthday party, vacation, or anything else like that. Save your money for later.

14. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Christ, just wait till you kid is bar mitzvahed. Then you'll learn what over the top is.

15. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

16. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

What I remember about my b-day partied growing up was that there were just kids there. It seems like now the parents stay for the party too instead of just dropping the kids off. Maybe that's why they seem so much bigger and more elaborate?

17. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

I think it started when birthday parties were no longer about the children, and became opportunities for parents to try and one up their neighbors in a show off ceremony. at least that is what i have seen in my short time as a parent haivng to attend these things.

18. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

I have a friend that thinks its appropriate to have a birthday week. She will seriously have something planned for almost every night of the week.

19. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

one of my relatives takes it a step further and celebrates her b-day month.

20. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

21. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

One of my wife's friends was over at our house yesterday (after reading some of these posts) and was telling us about one of her neighbors. Their neighbors had recently had a big birthday party for their 3 year old girl. Real swank stuff.

BUT they did not invite my wife's friends. And her and her husband were upset.

But they have no kids. And thus they have no kids who would be friends with the birthday girl. I wanted to tell them that but bit my tongue.

22. kmac30

kmac30 500+ Posts

i've been showing up at my niece and nephew's bday parties for years. for some reason they're always at 9-10am. there are always a bunch of kids running around. friends kids, friends of friends kids. the dad's huddle together and drink. i huddle with them and they tell me this is what life is like.

23. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

24. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

Whats the deal now with when your kid has a party that you have to give away goodie bags to all the kids that attended? Couple times I think my kids have gotten things at a party that cost more money then the present they brought for the birthday child.

25. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

Not sure if anyone has posted an instance like this...we have our kid in a mother's day out program a couple of times a week. Lately, they are doing class parties for kids who have summer birthdays (the program closes for the summer)...WTF???

[​IMG]