When did Pittman get his 5th foul?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by VinceFord, Mar 21, 2009.

1. VinceFord

VinceFord 100+ Posts

I must have missed it.

2. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

He didn't he got hit in the eye with about 4 minutes left in the game and we never got him back in. I'm not sure whether or the doctors held him out or not, but we made our run with him out so Barnes went with what was working.

3. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Did he get his fifth? I was wondering why he wasnt in the game at the end because I thought he only had 4 fouls. Some of the fouls he picked up tonight were ridiculous calls as well.

4. Orangeblood90

Orangeblood90 250+ Posts

We sure needed him in there to get that last rebound. That was not a good coaching move. Especially with a timeout left.

5. hippie

hippie 25+ Posts

Barnes said the refs told him they weren't shooting FTs. he and K were both confused by the refs as to what was happening. I guess RB left him out so they could have a better squad to make a transition basket if the opportunity arose.

6. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Barnes specifically asked the refs if it was a shooting foul. They said it wasn't, so he left Atchley in and talked to the team during the timeout about what he wanted them to do on the inbounds play. If he'd known it was going to be a shooting foul, Pittman would have been in for his rebounding.

Just one of many clusterfucks the refs managed towards the end of that game. The amazing thing is, it didn't really bother me a whole lot because I was completely expecting it. No one know how to work the refs and the officiating system better than Krzyzewski, and I mean no one.

7. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

Why could Barnes have not put Pittman in after the first foul shot? It seemed to me that he would know by then that Duke was shooting FTs. Seems like a pretty far-fetched excused for a bad coaching move.

8. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Good point. I'm getting this from his post game press conference, which anyone can watch at NCAA.org. I'll see if I can come up with the link.

I do know he seemed pissed about being told that it would be an inbounds play, and then the refs put Duke on the line after the timeout. Nonetheless, you're right. He could have put Pittman in after the first free throw.

9. busterbrown16

Don't worry. I was trying to defend Barnes and someone raised that point to me, so I had to steal it. I did not have a good explanation, so it seems like Rick was just trying to cover his own A** after a questionable coaching move.

10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Anyone Tivo that 4th foul on Dex? All I saw was AJ hitting the guy across the arms. Maybe it was a foul and I just missed it.

11. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

You saw the same thing I did, wadster. One of many "strange" calls.

12. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

13. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

14. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

guys, don't forget Rick still had two options. If he was still really confused, he could have called timeout after the first free throw to get his act together, or even give the ref a hard time for telling him it was inbounds. I believe he still had two timeouts.

Judging from Dex's reaction on the bench, he wanted to be in the game. I really think this was a situation that could have been handled. The coaches had already subbed for Gary Johnson at 11.7, but that's just part of the game, I'm sure the coaches knew Gary had four fouls.

15. busterbrown16

I am not saying that the coaches were not confused because Coach K said the same thing after the game about taking the ball out of bounds vs. free throws. All I am saying is that Barnes' explanation for not putting Pittman in does not make sense. He could have put Pittman in after the missed free throw. I think Barnes was trying to take the attention away from what he did not do by putting it back on the refs, which was an easy thing to do as many Longhorn fans were very upset about the way that game was called. I am not sure anyone in the media has called Barnes out because of this obvious mistake.

16. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

buster nailed it. But what makes it worse is that we had two timeouts to work with. IF you get confused, crossed up, etc. then call one of your timeouts, get everything settled down.

Before the play I wondered what we were saving Pittman for, and I guess the answer is the staff just made a mistake.

In the long run, it didn't matter, because we weren't going to make a three. We lost the game at the foul line earlier.
    Just think, if Pittman makes four of five FTs instead of 2 of 5, then Barnes probably leaves him in the rest of the game.

17. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

18. hippie

hippie 25+ Posts

were they not in the bonus situation? wouldn't it have been obvious. can't remember.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure how both coaches were confused, since both teams were in the bonus by then and I knew FTs were coming up.

20. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

21. hippie

hippie 25+ Posts

i keep trying to get over the duke loss, but it is a shame the number of ways that one went against the good guys.