When you were at UT, What were the top clubs/bars?

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Creek, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. 250+ Posts

That would be the Lotions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Thank you. That lead singer was more nasty dread than natty dread and he always wore the same dumb shorts. But fun times.

3. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

think I just threw up in my mouth, tyvm!

4. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 1,000+ Posts

Who can tell? Many ska bands. The Skanks? The Lotions? I’m pretty sure Joe King’s guitar player was in the Mysterians on the original. That song is the Joe King sound.

It was an insanely popular song to cover. Texas Tornadoes had a great cover of it back in the day.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

But 96 Tears was distinctively their show closer/best song. People waited on it. Plus white guy lead singer with long dreads who always wore the same dirty, loose-fitting gym shorts (I think they were grey) with a tank top usually. Was suggested above it was "The Lotions," which sounds right.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I finally googled it and the poster above nailed it. There was more info on them than i expected. Sadly, or perhaps not, the only image has pants, not the shorts. Must have been cold that day. Austin's first reggae band - and I guess I was there for it
    [​IMG]

This is a latter day reunion - so definitely not at Liberty Lunch

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 1,000+ Posts

Great article in The Alcalde this month commemorating Tri-Towers that is being torn down which mentions Renegade, Papers, and Tricky Mickey's. The author lived there in 1983, same year I came to UT.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Me too!!:hookem:

9. humahuma

humahuma 250+ Posts

Me three. Reading this thread I pissed in a lot of the same places as a lot of other horns.

10. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

spent a year in Tri-Towers one night after a Sixth Street excursion---didn't sleep a wink, NO A-C!! lived on 11th floor Jester West freshman year--thought that was gonna be a special time with the 'Horns going undefeated, only to lose in the CB!! Thanks a lot, Craig Curry:brickwall:

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada Liquor Man

I was in Jester West 1108 in '81

• Like Like x 1
  12. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

1103 in '83!