Where can I get a Wii?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by jt09, Dec 5, 2007.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I'd like to get a Wii for my daughter for Christmas, but am having a really hard time finding one at the big box electronic stores. The ones on ebay are $400 and up and I don't trust ebay for stuff like that anyway. I was told retail was in the 4250 range.

Anyone know where to find one locally? I'd rather not have to give my daughter a card saying "Good for 1 Wii as soon as dad can find one" because that sucks for a kid.

2. Crusher X

Crusher X 250+ Posts

I would say you just have to be persistent. Ask your local stores when they get shipments and be there on that day.

Wiis will be hard to come by, but persistance will pay off.

I'm up in Indy now for work, and I saw two Wiis in at the mall Game Stop. They were for 250.

I should have bought one and put it on ebay.

3. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

yeah, just check with Target and GameStop. And I think we paid $250 back in May when we bought one for my son's birthday.

4. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I got one last week at Target $250 and my boy was very excited getting his big present on the first night of chanuka which usually doesn't happen until the last night.

5. ghost

ghost 500+ Posts

I am not in Austin, but the Best Buy ad in this past Sunday's paper down here in Houston said they have minimum 18 per store. Not sure if that's current stock or once a shipment comes in.

Like the others said, just stay on top of all the stores. Be annoying if you have to.

6. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Well crap. None at Game Stop and none at Best Buy.

I'll just keep after it I guess.

For those of you who have one - what do I need to buy? I have never owned a game system and haven't played one since dominating Super Mario Bros and Contra almost 20 years ago. Do they come w/ the nunchucks? Only one nunchuck?

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

In August I had the same problem trying to find one. I finally ordered online. I think i used Amazon, but I can't remember.

8. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

I got mine... I mean my daughter's at Walmart on 620. They come with one controller and one nunchuck.

9. Crusher X

Crusher X 250+ Posts

jt,

If I remember correctly, the game came with only one remote and one nunchuk. You will definitely want to go ahead and buy at least one more remote and nunchuk so that you can play 2 at a time on some games. If you can afford to buy 3 more pairs, do it (some games allow up to 4 players at one time).

We have one and it's a blast. It's a great motivational tool for my 5 year old. We promise him that after he finishes his homework and assigned reading, we play the Wii for 30 minutes. Every time he gets a good kindergarten behaviour report, we play the Wii for 30 minutes.

Good luck finding one.

10. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

11. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

12. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

13. TxEx2x

TxEx2x 100+ Posts

There's a game called Wii Play that comes with an extra controller. The game is $50. It's actually a collection of games and is well worth the $10, since the controller is worth $40 alone...

14. Crusher X

Crusher X 250+ Posts

TxEx2x is right. The game is pretty cool. It's basically several games within a game that allows players to practice using the remote. It's got a neat little shooting game, a billards game, a tank combat game and others. It's not too bad. And definitely worth it since it does come with a controller which run nearly 40 bucks.

15. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

16. Gorgeous Hopkins

Gorgeous Hopkins < 25 Posts

I broke down and got mine on Ebay when I tried several local stores with no luck. It was a little over $400, but I did end up getting two controllers and nuchucks, and a couple of games thrown in.

Depending on where you live, you may want to try a Walmarts or Target within a reasonable driving distance, but in a small town.

17. UTinBigD

UTinBigD 250+ Posts

got mine a while back,

I could not find extra controllers anywhere and finally bought that Wii Play thing on Amazon (Actually an Amazon partner) but it got here fast and simple. So would recommend getting the accessories online.

The 'classic controllers' are needed if you download any of the old school games like Mario Kart (which is my favorite Nintendo game ever). These are actually normally in stock (at least at Fry's) at the big box stores.

18. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

19. chiwanna

chiwanna 100+ Posts

20. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Keep your fingers crossed sports fans....there is a plan in place!

21. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

The only way to get one is to get lucky. Nintendo does not tell stores when they will ship them or how many they will send so just try evry where but the best days to try for most stores are tuesdays and fridays. just be persistent.

22. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Christmas shopping is DONE for the little one!

Of course Nintendo tells stores when and how many will be shipped - how else are retailers going to plan their ads? Anyone else that is looking, Fry's will have a batch next Saturday (they had 85 sports bundles today) and Target (183/Ohlen) will have them on Sunday (I think it was Sunday, maybe Saturday).

23. Das Mook

Das Mook 250+ Posts

Why is it so hard to buy one of these? Can they literally not make them fast enough or is this a planned business practice? I am about to set my alarm for some insanely early time to get up on a Sunday and camp out at a Best Buy. Crazy.

24. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

I think it's a combination of not having and not making enough. The last articles I saw said they're currently making 1.8 million per month, but I think that's worldwide. They've sold about 13 million so far. But it seems that Nintendo isn't keeping up with demand. I think it's more that they don't have the production to keep up, but I'm not convinced that's 100% of the problem.

25. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

I'm bumping this because I have some extra money after Christmas, and now I want a Wii for my own ******* self.

Anybody heard of shipments coming this weekend? Am I nuts to try and find one the weekend after Christmas?

26. Quagmire

Quagmire 100+ Posts

The problem is, when they are in stock ******** buy them up to sell them on ebay.

27. UTinBigD

UTinBigD 250+ Posts

there were only something like 14K on ebay [​IMG]

All the resellers late to the party will get stuck with them, but I guess they can just return them to the retailers.

I read on teh interweb that Nintendo was extremely conservative in their 2007 forecast. I think the 2008 forecast is just shy of 18 million units, which is well over 3 times their 07 one.

28. BLESSMEHORNS

BLESSMEHORNS 250+ Posts

I have wii elbow from playing tennis with my kids. Wii rock. You can find them early Thursday at wal mart. They usually get 15 or so a week.

29. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I'm kind of pissed my "sports bundle" came w/ ZERO sports games. I figured the box w/ the tennis, golf and baseball plastered all over it would have tennis, golf and baseball inside. For $530 I want some damn sports games! [​IMG]

30. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

I called two walmarts, and the second one had 1 wii left. I hauled ***, and have a wii now. And I'm at work.

I'm definitely going to get Mario Galaxy, and will eventually get zelda. I don't if there are any other games worth owning.