Where did you live while attending UT?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by iLoVeLoNgHoRnS, Feb 20, 2009.

1. HornTYS

HornTYS 100+ Posts

93-94- Castillian
    94-95- house on Rio Grande right off MLK..
    95-96- House on W 33rd
    96-97- House on Indian Trail in Tarrytown

One summer I was at the ****** Sandpiper apts

2. GM Platter

GM Platter 100+ Posts

Mid 80's

Frosh/soph - potluck roommate at Moore-Hill, on the meal plan at Jester, but ate a lot at Kinsolving and the other small girls' dorm - cant remember the name of it. Parked my car under memorial stadium back when you could with a C parking pass.
    Jr - South Austin apt on riverside bus route - too far away.
    Sr - showed up weekend before school with no place to live. Ultimately roomed with some buddies two blocks off campus off 21st street for $116/month. Sweetest deal ever.

3. thornhorn

thornhorn 25+ Posts

Freshman year - the Woo baby! Got a nice woo do at the barbershop below
    Sophomore year - apartment near 35 & 290
    Junior year - apartment off Oltorf
    Senior year - Railyard on 4th, did way too much drinking

4. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

fresman year -- Jester East -- 8th Floor
    sophomore year -- Royal Crest apts right on the RC route
    junior and senior year -- condo on oltorf.

good times--from what little i remember.

5. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Prather Dorms 1986 - 1988

No Air Conditioning!! Cheaper than Jester, Paul Cret designed building (who also designed the Tower), great rooms and decor, but no A/C!! September was brutal.

I still can't believe that in the mid to late 80's that place had no A/C.

6. kmac30

kmac30 500+ Posts

1- Aug-Oct Moore HIll, Nov-May some apt on 290 and 183 (not as far away as it sounds, had to get out of hill)
    2 - College Park on Riverside
    3 - not sure, frat house i think
    4 - somewhere on william cannon
    5 - mopac and ben white/william cannon

7. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

- 22nd & San Gabriel for couple of years
    - then apts

8. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

72-73 Jester, west. Convenient, no other pluses.
    73-74 a trailer at 841 Airport Blvd. $60 per month - cheap for a room. A hassle to drive to campus and park.
    74-75 My folks moved to town, I moved in with them., out near Rundberg and Cameron road I had repressed this memory.
    75 - apt between Woodland and Oltorf just west of 35. Its still there. Riverside bus to campus.
    76 - Moved to apt on Enfield just inside Mopac (brand new that year). Easy Enfield bus ride.

If I were rich now, I'd live very close but off campus. Burning time on the road is a bad use of such limited time.

9. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

year 1 Castillian
    year 2 Castilian
    Year 3 Carriage House RIverside
    Year 4 The Granada - Red River and 38th

Grad School

Year 1 - House near Intermural Fields
    Year 2 - Far West

10. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Funny how we move around so much while at school.

The best palce I lived was at Indian Creek Apts in NW Austin. I enjoyed coming home and sitting on the deck overlooking a green belt of junipers and oaks, drinking a beer and appreciating the mix of golden sunset light on the trees and the slight breezes that jostled leaves and tickled my buzz induced no-where glazed gaze. Worth a million bucks in Wa but costs little.

11. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

12. Number_6

Number_6 100+ Posts

Dobie Dorm (fall '89- spring '93). I especially liked the years I had a west facing room, with the best views of the weather, the Drag, and the pool area [​IMG] The free pool tables were nice too, even though they were warped. And I probably spent almost as much time at Power Play (arcade in Dobie Mall) as going to class.

Contessa--fall '93. (I would have just stayed at Dobie, but had to move because I could not get a fall-only lease at Dobie.) I guess this dorm is gone now.

13. goofyboy

goofyboy 100+ Posts

fresh/soph year (1996-1998) - Contessa
    Junior - 2nd senior year - 26th and Red River - River Oaks Apartment COmplex.

14. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

1 year in Jester (West - 10)
    2 years off Riverside (Village Glen?)
    1 year in a duplex off of 290/183

15. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

16. CenTex Horn

CenTex Horn 25+ Posts

School/work from '97-Fall '03

97-98 Dobie 13th floor
    98-99 Jester
    99-00 Villa Vallarta--25th/Longview efficiency, now demolished
    00-01 Frat house--West campus 26th/Salado
    01-02 Condo--27th/Nueces, across from the ZTA house
    02-03 Fountain Terrace--30th/Guadalupe 1br/1ba

17. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Freshman Year: Scottish Rite (SRD)

Sophmore: With the parents in georgetown-- dad got transfered from dallas.

Junior: Some ghetto apartment complex on north I35 and rundburg

Senior: Enfield and Exposition

18. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

'95-'00
    Moore Hill freshmen and sophmore years
    Jester East R.A. junior and 1st senior years
    Melrose Apts 2nd senior year

19. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

Freshman - San Jacinto (first year it was open, our floor was co-ed)
    Soph - at Home in NW Austin
    Junior/Senior - North Campus off Red River

20. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

I had some buddies that lived in the Casbah - this was during the tiem tha the Clash came out with the song Rock the Casbah.

21. TexEx88

TexEx88 25+ Posts

82-83 Plaza 25 off campus dorm on 25th & San Gabriel.Wild place had alot of fun

83-84 Su Casa aprtments 35th @ Speedway

84-85 across the street from Su Casa can't remember the name

85-86 Silver Mine Apts I-35 & Rundberg

rest of time in Austin: House in S. Austin off Wm. Cannon.

22. DCA_HORN

DCA_HORN 500+ Posts

This is going to be a ridiculous list.
    Moore-Hill
    English Aire (sp?) on Burton Dr.
    Metropolis on Pleasant Valley
    Willow Creek Apts
    The Trestles on Cameron Road
    The Gables on 38 1/2
    Some apartment off of Riverside can't remember the name
    University Commons off Riverside

23. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

DCA, I think I lived in English Aire, too (tudor looking? At the time (1971-72) I think it was about the easternmost complex on Riverside - to the east of us was a huge field. They might have been getting ready to build on it, because I'm pretty sure that's where we got the boards and cinder blocks for our bookcases. We took them back in May, though. [​IMG]

I also lived in The Cloisters - old complex, and one of the last stops on the shuttlebus route and was often full by the time it got to us, so we had to walk to another complex to catch it.

Fun times - everyone had the glasses that you got free at the gas station with a fill-up. I think gas once got down to about $.20 a gallon. And our dishes came from give-aways at the grocery store, I think.

24. LdyLnghrn

LdyLnghrn 100+ Posts

Late 70's. I transferred to UT at the end of my freshman year, and didn't know anyone else, to room with. Too late to get into a dorm on campus, so I lived by myself in the Willow Creek apartments off of S. Riverside. They put in new burnt orange carpet and new furniture the week before I moved in, and my 1 bedroom apartment overlooked the pool and the downtown/campus skyline. I LOVED that apartment, and stayed there thru graduation. [​IMG]

25. HornGal01

HornGal01 100+ Posts

97-98 Dobie Dorm 19th floor
    98-00 apts on San Antonio @ 21st (can't remember the name)
    00-02 apts on Salado @ 26th (Salado Place, I think)

26. hookem115

hookem115 100+ Posts

I was a transfer student, so junior year was the Woo, senior year number 1 was a house on Beanna (32nd and Red River) and senior year number 2 was Le Montreaux (Steck and Mopac).

27. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

93-94 Jester W 11th floor
    94-95 Jest W 5th floor
    95-96 Jest W 4th floor loft, with bathroom suite.
    96-97 Rio Nueces. Really surprised its demolished- it wasnt the greatest student apt complex in the world, but it sure as **** wasnt the worst either.

28. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

Freshman Year - Jester East (I think it was 715). I was one of the lucky winners of the rooms off the main hall, tucked back behind the bathrooms. The sounds and smells back there were things I never care to experience ever again.

Sophmore Year - Prather, 2nd floor. Moveable furniture, holla! Really rolled the dice by going random roommate for the 2nd consecutive year, but I drew two winners. Unfortunately, our Prather neighbors were toolbags of the highest order. We had the cops show up at our door at least twice to inquire about the activities of our neighbors across the hall. Shooting BB guns at people out of their windows and what-not. Good times.

Junior Year - Jefferson Commons, Phase II, Riverside. This year is extremely hazy to me.

Senior Year - Jefferson Commons, Phase II, Riverside. So is this year.

Bonus Year! - Far West, North Hills Dr. -- This felt like Beverly Hills compared to E. Riverside. I loved that area. The commute to school sucked, but I was coasting on 9 hours to complete my degree, so it was cool.

29. LonghornLayla

LonghornLayla 25+ Posts

1st year: Jester west, 2nd floor.
    2nd year: Kinsolving, I think it was the North side, 2nd floor.
    3rd year: College Park on Riverside/Wickersham, 2nd floor. Hated it, worst year of my life.
    4th year: some other apartment, off of Oltorf and Wickersham. Can't remember the name, it was cheap and kinda ghetto. 2nd floor.

In retrospect, Jester was awesome. I loved Kinsolving but had a lot more fun in Jester. Plus, whenever I go in there and smell that place, it is like being transported through time.

30. Play Misti

Play Misti 25+ Posts

Aparrment off Riverside. Riverchase maybe?