Where did you live while attending UT?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by iLoVeLoNgHoRnS, Feb 20, 2009.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

At first, I lived in a pretty, little apartment complex on the south side of Enfield Road. Then, for the rest of my time in Austin, I lived in an apartment complex on Tinnin Ford Road, which is on the south side of the river just east of I35 (I want to say the address was 1201 Tinnin Ford).

2. X-Ray_Horn

X-Ray_Horn 250+ Posts

Freshman year, '79-'80: I guess it was naivete, but I didn't look for anything until about a week before school started. Miraculously found Taos Dorm on the drag, in its first year as a dormitory after years as a co-op. I think it's since reverted back to a co-op. Living next door to Raul's in 1979 was an experience.

Sophomore year, '80-'81: Moore-Hill, third floor "hyphen". Room 349 I believe.

Junior year, '81-'82: Prather, Resident Assistant, J section. Giant room, as noted above, no AC, but the old dorms were designed with great air flow.

Senior year, '82-'83: Moore-Hill, Resident Assistant, second floor front.

It's hard to believe Moore-Hill is now co-ed and has a giant pool in the old "Burger Burn" courtyard.

3. BDog

BDog 250+ Posts

4. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

that photo.

Damn, i didn't realize how huge that new apartment complex was just north of your arrow there.

5. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Contessa West
    Contessa
    Hardin House North (now University Towers)

6. HornGal01

HornGal01 100+ Posts

re: that photo; that's not the West Campus I recognize from just 7 years ago.

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

I lived at my parents' house just east of I-35 between Riverside and Woodland.
    10 minute drive to park on San Jacinto right next to Memorial Stadium back in the early '60s.

No rent
    No bad food
    No chicks (at least not at the house)

8. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

First two years in Jester West.
    Last two at Century Square, 34th and Red River.

9. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

909 West 22nd Street, just east of San Gabriel.
    Grad school 1971-1978
    Very close to where huisache and Hu Fan lived.

10. SDhorn

SDhorn 250+ Posts

73-75 at the Barrone next to Contessa.

$1,000 for 9 months with 20 meals a week. We ate with the rich kids from Contessa, and both the Contessa and Contessa West girls would love to come slumming with the poor wild boys of the Barrone. Life was good.

Next was the Ark Coop for a year followed by a triplex next to the RR tracks on 52nd and Airport. My next door neighbor was working her way through school as a topless dancer. She was a good friend and set me up regularly with her co-workers.

11. Touchdown_Texas

Touchdown_Texas 500+ Posts

12. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

First year: Moore Hill (2002-2003)
    Second year: House on Slaughter/Manchaca with 3 others
    Third and Fourth year: Windsong on Red River/Dean Keaton
    Fifth year (Just one semester): 290/Berkman

13. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

30th & Speedway, within stumbling distance to Crown & Anchor and Posse East.

14. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

1986-1990

Freshman year- Teenage wasteland (some ****** apt on burton drive)
    Sophomore year- Duval villa apartments (lots of pretty girls)
    Junior year- Awesome house off of red river and 42nd, I had 4 roomates, but had the time of my life.
    Senior year- A house off of airport rd. in a neighborhood of mostly old people. Still better than apartment life, no where near as cool as the last house.

15. BigboyDan

BigboyDan 25+ Posts

I absolutely refused to live in the dorms (I'm from Austin):

1975-1977 - 1 bed and 1 bath at the Spyglass Apartments, #215, just off MOPAC accross from Rollingwood Drive. Walked to Zilker Park.

1977-1979 - 1 bed and 1 bath apartment at Guadalupe and St. Johns, down the street from the Optimist Club baseball field.

Always took the UT shuttle busses to campus.

16. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

1.) Jester West, 3rd Floor...
    2.) Some apartments off Riverside. I still do not know how I didn't get raped or kidnapped there since I was living by myself..
    3.) Near Far West

The dorm experience was not too bad, but to this day has made me realize that I never want a roommate again unless it is my husband or something like that.

17. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

woo barbarian
    croix
    hyde park
    chicago(took a trading sabbatical)
    hyde park
    etc
    etc

18. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

72-73 ******** apartment on Reinli (off of N 35)

73-74 Ashdale Garden Apts on Burnet Rd ... used to call them the last apartments on the left, nothing north but open fields. balcony overlooked the pool. landlady was an incredible looker (wish she was a hooker), but had a big biker boyfriend.

74-75 Englishaire on Burton ... fairly new at the time, had a lap pool. apartment was really small.

last part of 75 ... apts at the top of the hill on Burton Dr. (west side). don't remember the name.

it's amazing I ever graduated.

19. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

32nd and Duval
    18th and Lavaca

20. dark_arts

dark_arts 25+ Posts

Freshman year - Jester East 6th floor
    Sophomore year - Jester East 6th floor (one year too many)
    Summer after sophomore year - apartment in a quadroplex on Tom Green Avenue, two blocks from the Crown & Anchor
    Junior and senior years - Duval Villa at 43rd and Duval, right across the street from the Hyde Park Grill

21. ppahorn

ppahorn < 25 Posts

1997 - University Towers
    1998 - Centennial Apts
    1999 - 2100 San Gabriel
    2000 - 2100 San Gabriel
    2001 - The Preserve - (southwestern and Mopac)
    -46th and Caswell

Good times!

22. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

1995-96 Dobie, 23rd floor, campus view
    96-97 Dobie, 14th floor, campus view
    97-98 condo off Rio Grande in West Campus
    98-99 cool house on David Street (last street before Lamar in West Campus) - with anywhere between 3 and 5 other guys
    last semester 99 - Royal Crest apartments by self on Riverside

23. westptx

westptx 100+ Posts

Freshman Year (01) - Castilian...they had a deal during spring semester...$300 total for your own room (100% worth it)
    Soph Year (02) - 25th & San Gabriel (northwest corner) had 1 ****** roomate and one awesome roomate
    Junior Year (03) - Gables across from Barton Creek on Mopac...to this day my favorite apartment ever. Tons of space with an unobstructed view of the skyline (only got 1 semester there due to a Co-Op in Houston)
    Senior Year (04-05) - AMLI Lantana Ridge...nice place and had a view of the hills from my balcony

24. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

Summer of Freshman year: Kinsolving (it was co-ed during the summer)
    1st year: Jester West (Men of 10)
    2nd year: Jester West 9th floor (I think?), it was a co-ed floor
    3rd year: Some ****** apt near Oltorf
    4th & 5th year: The Princeton @ Airport Blvd and I35

25. acworthhorn

acworthhorn 25+ Posts

I lived all four years on Sharon Lane, off of Endfield, in a garage apartment. A guy from our high school a couple of years ahead of us let us have it so he could move in with his girl friend. In 1970 the rent was 75.00 a month and my roommate and I had trouble some months coming up with the rent. It was the party center for all those that I went to high school with. There were many stretches living on rice and beans. My sons will live on campus for at least the first year. At least they will have access to three meals a day.

26. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Off and on with folks, crashed at friend's houses for as little as a few days to an entire semester, had different apartments off campus a few times.

Saved money that would have been loans but never got to live on campus.

27. fiftylarge

fiftylarge 25+ Posts

78-79 The old Married Student barracks on Lake Austin. Rent was $34/mo. and it wasn't worth it. All I could afford. Snuck onto Lions at least 2x/week.

28. Sip94

Sip94 500+ Posts

I lived over on Manor road for a year. Great neighborhood. I brought a bike up to college, chained it to a bike rack at the apartment complex and it had been stolen within 12 hours of arriving in town.

29. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Jester west 9th floor for 2 years. Apartment (aka roach motel) on 45th Street for one. Apartment on Woodward in So. Austin for one year.

The food at Jester was horrible, as were the elevators. But I must say it was a great time. Met the future Mrs. Oilfield there.

30. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

home (allendale neighborhood)
    north cross apartments
    river oaks apartments
    hampton house baby!