where did you meet your spouse?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Fluffhead, May 20, 2004.

1. Fluffhead

Fluffhead < 25 Posts

I have always been curious as to where people have met their future spouse. Most people to whom I ask this question can remember with vivid detail. I have never seen a survey on the subject, I guess due to the variation of places and the circumstances that encompass them.

When answering the question, try to be as specific as possible. In terms of where, like at what place, what party, what bar, what office, what class, what building, what restaurant, what city as well as whose party, whose house, whose apartment, or what event. In terms of how, what were the circumstances that surrounded the encounter. Were you set up, introduced by a mutual friend, you or he/she approached the other and what was the conversation about that took place? Did you hit off right then and there, did you go out on a date, did you just hook up after meeting and then the relationship blossomed after that, or were you friends for awhile and the relationship evolved from that? Or, just try to be as specific as you remember it.

For me, I was introduced to my future wife by a mutual acquaintence at a New Years party (1999) at my friend's house near duval and 38th. I was too drunk to remember what we were talking about, but I do remember I wore blue button down polo that I still wear. She was my New Years kiss, and we continued talking thereafter, and the relationship really started about a month later after our first date to Musashino.

2. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

I met my ex-wife (together for 7 years, married for 5, divorced a year ago) during an internship the summer after my Junior year of college... at a Houston-based mutual fund company called AIM Management. We had a training class together, and she started coming by my desk every day to talk.

She asked me out on our first date. I took her to the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Museum of Natural Science (she was into butterflies). We were at different colleges, so didn't do a long distance relationship... but would date during holiday breaks. I graduated before she did and moved to Houston to work for Texas Instruments... which put me much closer to Austin than my undergrad college... we got together every other weekend and she eventually moved back Houston.

3. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

I took her off the streets, got her clean. She owes everything to me.

I met her at UT. We both played waterpolo. We went to Amys ice cream on Guadalupe in 1991. Married in 1995. Still married.

4. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

One thing I love about dating homeless girls.... it doesn't matter where you drop them off the next day

5. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

Had German 1 class in the fall of '91. Learning vocabulary, it came out that she was engaged, and I lost interest. Had a different German classes in the spring, but went on the same study abroad trip to Germany in the summer of '92.

She was not engaged any longer. Kind of flirted a little. A group of us decided to go to Venice for the weekend. Everyone backed out at the last minute. That is when/where we hooked up. Our first date was to Venice.

6. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

7. Teasip63

Teasip63 100+ Posts

I lived in Moore-Hill Hall back in the 60s and I noticed all of these really hot girls walking by late each day. I found out they were student nurses and my room mate set me up a blind date with one. That was in Feb of 61. I proposed in April, married her in Sept and we are still married.

8. Baboso

Baboso Guest

Pool at the apartment complex we both lived at. My opening line, "Hey, want a beer?" Her: "OK, thanks." The rest is history.

9. Turk182

Turk182 < 25 Posts

Met mine through a customer of mine who thought we would hit it off. Four years later I should've never called that number I was given. I called her and we talked on the phone for about a week before actually meeting. Helped her move into her new place over the weekend and was with her for about 3.5 to 4 yrs. I remember meeting her vividly because while helping her move I sliced open my leg and she had to take me to the urgent care center for stitches.

10. HornGal01

HornGal01 100+ Posts

My husband and I met in college. We both worked at the Longhorn Foundation as student assistants. We tried to hide it for a long time because we didn't know if we'd be allowed to work together if they knew we were dating. When they finally found out (after about 3 months of hiding) they were so excited. They all want to take the credit for us finding each other and getting married. It's kinda funny.

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

At the Fabulous T-Birds Riverfest, a Memorial Day concert at Town Lake, 1990.

Technically, since you specified you wanted the minute details, we met at a mutual friend's apartment at 32nd and Red River prior to going to the Riverfest. It's funny, but the first time I laid eyes on Mrs. Sangre when I walked into that apartment, I got a wierd sensation, a kind of premonition, that she was going to be important to me.

During the day I overheard her talking with her girlfriends about the guy she'd been dating for 4 years. He went on a trip to Europe just a couple of days earlier, and she was quite upset that he had left their future together on very uncertain grounds. Her friends were all telling her to dump him and be done with it, though not in such direct terms.

Long story short, we were dating by the time he came back from Europe, and she chose to stick with me. I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand why, because I really outkicked my coverage when I landed her.

12. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

13. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

I had a bad tooth ache and my regular dentist was gone out of town,it hurt so bad that I was desperate enough to go to a new women dentist in our town.[​IMG] A year later we were married.

14. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

Some tropical themed club in SF (can't remember the name - it's the one a few blocks from the Bottom of the Hill) had a swing dance night. You go, get a dance class for one hour, then band shows up and plays. I went with a buddy that thought it was a good way to meet chicks. I just went along because he didn't want to go alone and I was sort of interested in swing dancing. Then my future wife walks in. All eyes go to her. She looked so gorgeous and creamy and yummy and wholesome.

The way the class worked is that you pair up then switch partners every 5 minutes. Every single guy there, including my buddy, was hitting on her. When she got to me, I was just funny and friendly trying not to be sleazy and we really hit it off.

After class, there was a about 30 minutes downtime. There were about 5 guys swarming around her with their cheesy lines. I just sat at a table drinking my drink, not wanting to be part of the sausage fest hoping to catch her at some other time. She kind of locked eyes with me across the room and gave me that tell-tale worried smile that means "rescue me" so I walked over there and said "hey, remember you promised to buy me a drink when after you stepped on my foot" and we walked off together, leaving the other guys.

At the end of the night, we traded emails. A week later she asked me out and we went to the Zodiac Club here in SF. Then a few months later, there was the infamous Valentines flowers that never showed up that I posted about on 3:16. Not long after that we were married.

15. BrickHorn

BrickHorn < 25 Posts

I ordered mine out of a catalog, so the first time I met her was the day the UPS man dropped off the crate at my door.

16. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

at a bar here in austin. i was on crutches at the time and she asked me what the hardest part about being on crutches was and i answered "cooking dinner"
    hook, line and sinker.

17. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I just got back from Europe, and I'm looking for the jerk that stole my girlfriend.

18. Summit104

Summit104 25+ Posts

Smooth, OrangeBlooded.

19. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

not married, but my parents met at the Texas Union. My mom was a freshman and it was her first week at the 40 acres. She and a friend went up there to "meet boys". They ran into a guy who my mom's friend knew and he was with my dad.

they were married a year later.

20. TexasSun

TexasSun 25+ Posts

I met my wife during high school. We sat next to each other in typing and she was neighbors with one of my best friends. We were only casual friends and didn't really hang out together. She came to UT the year after I did and we started to hang out. I asked her out once, but she was kind of seeing someone so I dropped it.

A few months later we had a big party for the first Big XII game against Nebraska. All of us end up going to 6th to celebrate the victory. A couple of Hand Grenades at Tropical Isle and the rest is history. I'm so glad her beer goggles haven't worn off yet.

21. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

Texas Chili Parlor on Lavaca at a Happy Hour in 1995. My legal assistant at the time had been her legal assistant and she set us up. Moved in together June 1996, bought a house May 1998, married October 1998. Still together.

22. ldogg53

ldogg53 500+ Posts

lets see.. I met mine a few years back at a Halloween party... some friends of mine worked with a friend of hers that was throwing the party... I was hung over from the night before and didn't want to sit at home so I went...

I went as the Incredible Hulk.. and she had a little cowgirl outfit with a skirt and cut off top and hat... I started chatting her up and then the rest is history...

23. Santa Monica Horn

Santa Monica Horn < 25 Posts

24. tbone

tbone 250+ Posts

She picked me up in a bar in Vegas, Gordon Biersch. June 1998.

25. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

Met my wife the first day of law school and knew she was the one immediately. Took her about 2.5 years to figure it out, but I was patient. That was about 13 years ago.

f**k, I haven't had any strange in 13 years.

26. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I met my husband at work at the Temple Daily Telegram. We knew each other for several months before we finally went out. I asked him out the first time: I had accidentally double-booked myself, but in a span of about 5 minutes, I went from having two dates to no dates. So I asked him if he wanted to go out dancing. We went dutch, but we had such a good time.

We also had to keep it hush-hush for fear that one or both of us would lose our jobs. But we kept getting more and more serious, and the day that his ex-girlfriend got married, he gave me a ring.

Of course, I'd already proposed to him. When I know what I want, I go for it.

We met in August 1983, got engaged August 1984, and got married August 1985.

27. HoustonHorn93

HoustonHorn93 250+ Posts

First day of our junior year in high school. For some reason we'd never met during freshman or sophmore year. But, we had geometry class togethor. I knew she was the one the minute she walked in. We didn't start going out for another month or so. I had to convince her to dump another guy she was with. We've been togethor ever since and that was back in September of 1987. We've been married since August 1991 and now have 3 kiddos.

28. texaslgr

texaslgr < 25 Posts

Met the wife at the old Dance Across Texas, 4th of July 1993. I wasn't supposed to go but decided to go b/c lots of my relatives were going to be there for a Tejano band that one of my cousins married into. Happens that the lead singer told me he wanted me to meet someone. Low and behold, he takes me to the finest piece of .....sorry....most beautiful woman in the place that I'd already been wanting to dance with. We danced and have never been apart since.....oh, except for a brief separation last summer [​IMG]

29. Baboso

Baboso Guest

30. natethehorn

natethehorn 100+ Posts